Helmets I'm shopping for a new full face or modular helmet

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Hi,
I'm in the helmet shopping. Doing some research for some time and more I read more confused I am.
The reviews on online stores or magazines do not help much either. Usually they talk about good elements of the helmet they are reviewing but not so much of ?cons?, of course.
I found one website that looks like I can trust, [url]http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/[/URL], but also I have a feeling it?s kinda ?outdated? and many hemlets from US market are not listed here, and vice versa.

Right now I have ? face GMax, something like this [url]http://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-550?utm_source=none&utm_term=%5B74946199090%3Aproduct_type_l1%3D%3Dvehicles%2520%26%2520parts%26%2520product_type_l2%3D%3Dland%2520vehicles%26%2520product_type_l3%3D%3Dmot&cid=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+PLA+-+Shopping+Campaign&adpos=1o24&creative=42616780450&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjw04qvBRC6vfKG2Pi0_8gBEiQAAJq0vUvwigrR3Z5nMU2zDiOyF-g3aZXnZT2lDtHWP7zDaM0aAv9z8P8HAQ[/URL] (made in May 2013)

It?s kinda noisy (funny part is, it?s more noisy with the shield down then up?!?!?) but I still like it. But I plan to commute to work (120 miles both ways on I-80) until it?s really cold (mid to high 40s) I?m gonna need full face helmet.

What am I looking for? If I say ?I?m looking for a touring helmet? it should explain most of ?requirements?: quite (it doesn?t have to be perfect because most of the time I use earplugs), good ventilation, light i weight, wide view,... What actually most of us are looking for.

Price is the big factor. I can?t afford $500 and up for a helmet. I know Shoei and Arai are the best helmets and they are expensive because they are really good. But I believe also (like similar situations with computers, cell phones, cars, dishwashers, TV sets?) you pay 20%-30% for the name too - and I?m trying to avoid it as much as possible. Also, I?m trying to not to pay for some features I?m not gonna use it ever. Like once one one guy in Verizon tried to sell me a cell phone that can take a picture under water?!?!? Really? Why would I take a photo WITH MY CELL PHONE UNDERWATER?!?

Eventually I can afford Shoei Qwest for $300-$350 (that?s what I have in my piggy bank) but e.g. HJC IS-17 has also very good ratings and cost only $180. And I believe there are several more very good 5-stars helmets under $200. So, why should I pay almost twice for Shoei or Arai? I?m really asking somebody to explain it to me, not that I?m trying to be smart pants. If there is something I don?t know and/or understand - please educate me.

Also, there is also another question: modular or not? I see some advantages of a modular helmets over full face but it?s mentioned on many places that full face helmets are more sturdy and safe? Are they more ?safe? if you hit a concrete wall with 150 mph or there is also a difference (and how big?) when you collide with a car on 50 mph on an intersection? Or you low-side on 75 mph and you slide/roll down the road for couple hundreds feet?
I know, ?it depends?... But ?in general? or ?most likely? will be good answer too. :)

Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
If you gonna write down about your helmet, please write down what you don't like too. Maybe it could be key factor to me. Thanks.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have a Nolan 104IMG_20141206_071755.jpg (not the newest version). My wife got it and a matching one for her last Christmas. We installed the N-com N1 bluetooth system IMG_20150422_134803.jpgand paired the helmets with our phones. That way we can talk at greater distances than the regular intercom can handle. The price was worth it. I went from a not too bad ICON full face to this one. I've found out it is easier to get a drink of water and a bite of granola bar without having to take the helmet off. Some gas stations require helmets to be removed before gas is pumped. The modular shield up and they will let you keep the helmet on. The double shield doesn't fog up and the smoked shield comes down and retracts with ease. I have had no problems pairing the ncom system with my phone and I love the "no wire" communication between the moving map, phone, sat radio, pandora, and intercom. The Nolan is MUCH quieter than my ICON and much more comfortable too. My wife used the Honda products points I had saved up to get a better deal on the helmets and I'm glad she did. I can understand the want to save money, but seriously the place to save money isn't in your helmet. If you have a $10 head get a $10 helmet. I'm guessing yours is worth much more than that. Good luck and good shopping. On the down side my 104 doesn't keep out the rain. It runs down the inside of the shield. Then again I remember my ICON doing that as well. Maybe I should quit riding in downpours. :D

st1300doug

Cycle Gear has lots of Modulars for sale. Just bought a new one for 1/2 price....$120, AGV.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm using a Shoei Neotec modular and a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 open face. Both are great helmets, but both were expensive. I bought the Neotec because my chin didn't rub against the chinbar, and the sunshade didn't hit my glasses.

If the HJC fits you, buy it. Fit is the most important aspect; you're going to be wearing the helmet for hours at a time. I think that the Shoei is a bit better made, but the HJC is perfectly acceptable.

I'd suggest a modular. It offers a bit more protection than a 3/4, and will be warmer on a winter day. It's easer to put on than a full face, and allows you to flip the front up rather than take the helmet off at fuel stops.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I got a Nolan N91 for a great deal, I just wanted to try out a modular. 90% of the time I wear an Arai Vector 2. The verdict? I find my self using the Nolan on quick trips and at dusk due to the drop down sun shield. I kinda like it.......

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I can only talk about the single helmet I've owned as an adult rider, which covers the last 13 months.

I have a Speed and Strength SS1700 modular. I chose it for the following reasons, in rough order of priority:

* Modular design-- makes donning and doffing MUCH easier while wearing eyeglasses (which I do)
* Fit
* High-vis (nearly the entire helmet, not just accents)
* Price: c. $200
* Internal drop-down shaded visor in addition to the transparent exterior one
* Reasonably light weight
* Ratcheting strap closure instead of two D ring style-- easier to fasten and unfasten
* Removable / washable liner

It is of course DOT rated and approved, which to my understanding means that it meets the minimum Federal safety standards and keeps my bean out of harm's way. Spending more money for a helmet does not necessarily make you any safer; it means you are paying for features and, perhaps, cachet.

I do find it a bit noisy but as I said at the start of my post I have no experience with any other helmet to compare against so I can't say how it might stack up.

After settling on a particular brand of hearing protection the noise factor is kept to an acceptable level. It is notably lower when the external visor is 2/3 or fully closed. I don't listen to music while riding, nor do I have a Bluetooth device for phone or intercom communications. I do not know whether such devices would actually work with this helmet.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I'm using a Shoei Neotec modular and a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 open face. Both are great helmets, but both were expensive. I bought the Neotec because my chin didn't rub against the chinbar, and the sunshade didn't hit my glasses.

If the HJC fits you, buy it. Fit is the most important aspect; you're going to be wearing the helmet for hours at a time. I think that the Shoei is a bit better made, but the HJC is perfectly acceptable.

I'd suggest a modular. It offers a bit more protection than a 3/4, and will be warmer on a winter day. It's easer to put on than a full face, and allows you to flip the front up rather than take the helmet off at fuel stops.
Yes, I have to agree with all of that, AND the better helmets feel better on your head and are nicer to wear. I have a NeoTec too. I don't mind wearing it for hours art a time, if necessary. Most any DOT or Snell approved helmet will protect your head, the nicer (and more costly) helmets are nicer to wear. NeoTec's have steel clips and fasteners to hold the face-piece in place. That's an important point to consider...

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Full face - get an Arai that matches your head size and shape. I wear a Profile which has been replaced by the Signet Q. I have a long, oval head.
These guys will make sure it will fit you: https://www.theservicepavilion.com/

Modular - Next time, I am getting a Shoei Neotech. I currently wear a Nolan N104 and it is fine, but not quite up to Shoei standards.

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
I have a GMax 54S modular helmet and I think for the price (I paid $159) its a pretty good deal. Relatively quiet (more so than My Shoei RF900 full face)and comfortable for those of us with rounder heads. The cool feature of being able to add a kit to sync the rear light on the helmet with your brake light on the bike for an extra $30 is a neat feature. The built in shade works well, operate slowly so the slider doesn't have to be replaced under warranty.:) The helmet does lack the ability to accept a pinloc visor. That being said this helmet has far better venting than most other helmets regardless of price. I live in Tucson and being able to ride in 100 degree plus weather is a must.
I have ridden in bone soaking rain and the helmet did not leak however there was a noticeable mist over the sun visor when deployed after.This is most likely due to vent placement that assumes on most outings the internal sun visor will be deployed. The lens did not fog on even on this occasion so that is a plus as the one on my Shoei fogs with the slightest rise in humidity.
On another note neither GMax nor Speed and Strength build their own helmets, they design and submit their designs to other helmet manufacturers (unknown who) who build helmets to their specs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Is there any, other the one I mentioned in my first post, trustworthy website that compares helmets, do tests and research you know/use?
I checked Consumer Reports they don't have anything about helmets at all...

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Eventually I can afford Shoei Qwest for $300-$350 (that?s what I have in my piggy bank) but e.g. HJC IS-17 has also very good ratings and cost only $180
I pretty much have it narrowed down to these two as well. No need or interest in modular.
Some gas stations require helmets to be removed before gas is pumped.
You're kidding, right?

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I currently have the HJC IS-17 Intake Hi-Viz... a full face helmet. I used to have the HJC Sy-Max II (now III) that was a modular. I like both. Good venting. The full face helmet is quieter. I like the integrated sun visor. I recommend checking out the pages at Motorycyclegear.com. They usually put in for each product their own review called "Our Two Cents" and provide some really helpful info there.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Just to throw another good brand in there I am totally happy with my Scorpion EXO...500 I think....less than $200....has the drop down sunvisor....try 'em all on and get the one that fits....happy hunting........ff

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
I have owned a Nolan N100 in the past & liked everything about the helmet...except for the weight. I currently own the Shoei Quest & absolutely love everything about it.....EXCEPT that it doesn't have a removable liner. Will likely consider another Nolan Modular for my next helmet, as I really like the quick-connecting chin strap.

John

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Is there any, other the one I mentioned in my first post, trustworthy website that compares helmets, do tests and research you know/use?
I checked Consumer Reports they don't have anything about helmets at all...
www.webbikeworld.com/ does comprehensive reviews on most of the helmets on the market.

Greg

Last edited:
Top Bottom