US Highway Map - unpolluted

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Before I get to much older, I'd like to take some motorcycle trips on US highways. This is the first Fall ever that I don't have any commitments so would like to do some traveling.

I'm looking for a US map showing predominately US highways. O.K. to include interstates if they aren't so obnoxiously bold that they swamp out everything else. A few major towns and cities would be nice but not every cow pasture, county road, etc. In other words, something my old eyes can follow without using a microscope.

Other suggestions for cross country traveling, excepting goat trails and route changes every ten miles, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John-

Bike
2010 ST1300
For a good overview, get any gazetteer. These usually are 8 1/2 x 11 soft cover (spiral bound?) books with one state to one or two pages. There will also be a small scale map of the whole country spread over two pages. These usually sell for anywhere from $10 to about $25.

Your best bet, from my pov, is join the AAA. Go to an office, sign up for info, and they will bury you in reduced price offers. Or, simply pay the going rate to do it quickly. As a member, you get UNLIMITED free maps of the states. These are very good but do not go down into the county road/route detail. I would call these medium scale maps. For the price, you cannot beat them. Any half dozen maps can set you back the cost of joining, and you get to throw away all the offers for insurance that your membership fee funds. Seriously, there are some good benefits to joining (I've never used any beyond the maps).

The best maps, imo, are the Delorme gazetteers. These are large scale maps that show detail down to county roads in soft cover workbook form (15 1/2" x 11" closed) with one book per state. They sell for around $20 with discounts for multiple maps. Obviously this format tends to be bulky and not mc friendly but the detail is hard to beat unless you go to.....

A computer maping program. You can get all the info above on google maps for free. You can zoom in down to the last alley and driveway in a big city. There are a number of other mapping programs offered by Garmin, Microsoft, Apple, etc. that do the same thing and more, but I'm used to Google. Smart phones offer mapping programs but its hard to see the utility of a 3" x 4" screen/map with tired old eyes (mine) until you try it. These are surprisingly good.

And then there are GPS devices. I use a nuvi (Garmin) for cars on my bike, and love it. I usually back it up w/ handwritten (large, so i can see them while driving) instructions in the map pocket of my tank bag. You can spend as little or as much as you want on one of these, but the better part of a thou for a Zumo is a bit steep for me. A lot of the gps's accept memory cards with your route file on it, but this will require a laptop and software knowledge if you are going cross country.

For my money, the AAA maps are the best bet. You certainly cannot beat the price, utility, and ability to do route planning in any diner over breakfast, or in your tent. If you go the gazetteer route, I suggest you hit a book store and compare several brands.

STOC #
Another vote for AAA maps. Their "Regional" series bundles a number of states in one map, with less detail than their state maps. Stop by an AAA office and look at one, might be very close to what you're looking for.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
And then there are GPS devices. I use a nuvi (Garmin) for cars on my bike, and love it. I usually back it up w/ handwritten (large, so i can see them while driving) instructions in the map pocket of my tank bag.

For my money, the AAA maps are the best bet. You certainly cannot beat the price, utility, and ability to do route planning in any diner over breakfast, or in your tent. If you go the gazetteer route, I suggest you hit a book store and compare several brands.
How the heck do you see the map in the tank bag? My helmet prevents me from seeing anything unless I tilt my head way down, which I don't want to do while riding. If the tank bag is put too far forward on the ST, it interferes with the steering, unless one wants the tank bag to blow the horn, work the turn signals, lower the windshield, etc.

O.K. thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into these suggestions.

John-

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Nice looking ST:) I like to use the map for general directions after I have reviewed it at a stop. The most enjoyable method I use is to get to an area that I want to explore and do just that taking the roads that look interesting when I see them. Just get lost in the ride and explore. When I'm ready to find my way to a hotel Ill look at the GPS and figure out where I'm at. I've seen some of the best roads and sites this way.

Ride and enjoy

Jeff

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Another thing you can do, my wife and I used to do this regularly when traveling cross-country in a cage - stop at the state-owned and operated visitors center when you cross into the next state and pick up an official state map. Those will be up to date and are free more often than not. Usually a lot of brochures on various visitor attractions throughout the state as well.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
You could also try the Butler Maps specifically designed for motorcycles. These are extremely good maps, printed on coated paper that are hard to rip.

Scott
+1 on Butler maps. They don't show too much detail BUT they include their favorite motorcycle roads which you could easily miss on less detailed, larger scale maps. However, they are not cheap at around $15 each state unless you bundle or buy at a motorcycle show.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
+1 on Butler maps. They don't show too much detail BUT they include their favorite motorcycle roads which you could easily miss on less detailed, larger scale maps. However, they are not cheap at around $15 each state unless you bundle or buy at a motorcycle show.
In order words, the price is the same as one gas stop per state. Doesn't seem outrageous when thought of that way.
If I'm going to get started in October, it's time for me to out of the chair and start preparing.

John-

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Nice looking ST:) I like to use the map for general directions after I have reviewed it at a stop. The most enjoyable method I use is to get to an area that I want to explore and do just that taking the roads that look interesting when I see them. Just get lost in the ride and explore. When I'm ready to find my way to a hotel Ill look at the GPS and figure out where I'm at. I've seen some of the best roads and sites this way.

Ride and enjoy

Jeff
Nice looking bike! I'm always concerned that the back road will get smaller and smaller and I'll be left on a one lane road facing downhill. No way I'm going to be pushing the bike out of that.

John-

I keep my maps in the tankbag map posket for looking at when I'm stopped. I use a "china marker" wax pencil on my Heads Up Display (a.k.a. windshield) to write notes about roads, turns, and miles. I don't have to keep looking at my map then.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I keep my maps in the tankbag map posket for looking at when I'm stopped. I use a "china marker" wax pencil on my Heads Up Display (a.k.a. windshield) to write notes about roads, turns, and miles. I don't have to keep looking at my map then.
Oooh - that's a good idea. Sometimes I just want to have the sequence of route changes where I can see them.

Thanks,
John-

Bike
Supere Tenere
Jeff if you've never ridden out west, then you could easily generate a great list of places to see.

For example, ride to Moab, UT. In that general area (a days ride) you have Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and the Grand Canyon National Parks. This is a great area to visit in the fall as the kids are back in school and it's comfortable riding into early November. (Watch the weather though as it can get cold and snowy too.) Later in the year, you could visit Death Valley. Lots of great riding out here in the west.

Bring a good camera and try to hit the parks at sunrise and sunset.

;-) Paul

Bike
2010 ST1300
How the heck do you see the map in the tank bag? My helmet prevents me from seeing anything unless I tilt my head way down, which I don't want to do while riding. If the tank bag is put too far forward on the ST, it interferes with the steering, unless one wants the tank bag to blow the horn, work the turn signals, lower the windshield, etc.

O.K. thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into these suggestions.

John-
I agree - I cannot see the map in the tankbag pocket either. I write instructions w/ a fine Sharpie in LARGE print and this supplements my GPS. I number each instruction or change of route numbers. This way a quick glance, looking for, say, #7 tells me to take the next turn onto the Interstate.....

Top Bottom