Ride Like They Don't See You

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
All I can say to that is "WOW!!" I have witnessed a similar event while 4 vehicles back at an intersection a few years back.
I agree with ST Gui on the thought that She got so focused on the other direction that the Driver just flat forgot about the direction that the Fire Truck was coming from and the time that elapsed while waiting on the break. The Sun could have played a part in her from not seeing the Fire Truck assuming that She did look back left at all.

I would not want to be the guys in the Fire Truck. That had to be the most helpless feeling ever to see that situation develop with no time to do a whole lot about it.
Hope everyone involved made it through that experience.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
OMG people be blind! Thanks for the reminder Mike! Way to true!
I'm a huge believer that they are all out to kill me and certainly drive that way. I won't even drive with music or my cell phone turned on..
Drive safely everybody!

Bike
2010 ST1300
That was a solid hit. What happened to the driver? The fire truck had mass and probably 40 to 45 mph speed at the point of collision.

Sure hindsight is 20/20, but the video clearly shows the idiot moving out into the intersection. Did the fire truck driver hit the brakes before the impact? Around here, the trucks have a klaxon horn they sound as they approach intersections or whenever the driver thinks the cage might not be aware of the fire truck. The sound is loud enough to pick the rear end of the car up and push it out of the way. ('Here' is a wealthy suburb/city and they have state of the art equipment.)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I bet you'd change that tune in heartbeat if that were your wife or daughter.
No I wouldn't because I cannot abide incompetence. If someone, including me, does something stupid they need to suffer the consequences. No exceptions.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I bet you'd change that tune in heartbeat if that were your wife or daughter.

No I wouldn't because I cannot abide incompetence. If someone, including me, does something stupid they need to suffer the consequences. No exceptions.
Wow! That is just hard to believe. My family and friends mean a lot to me. I'm glad they can forgive me when I do something stupid. And I do the same for them.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
We are all human... and we have to forgive each other for being human! Forgive me for my mistakes, and I will forgive you... makes life much better. When you are "forgiven", you learn to forgive.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Great reminder Mike--it can happen to even the best drivers. The lesson of this video IMO is for the driver of BOTH vehicles--it appears that the sun was setting behind the firetruck, it was a very busy/small road, and the moisture/spray off all the vehicles was likely glowing from the sun, made a difficult visibility situation even more difficult, and the car driver made a terrible mistake. I may have missed it, but it sounded like the truck driver still had the engine powering the vehicle ahead--that driver should have backed off IMO, understanding the situation better and knowing that that side road was very busy.

We've no idea if the car driver is a very good and cautious driver, who in that one moment had a lapse in judgment and/or a simple distraction.

I'm not saying that I think the car driver is exonerated--the person should have taken more time and caution. Rather, that could have been any one of us or any of our loved ones. I hope the driver survived and made a full recovery.

(JQL: recalculate please.)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I think she should be in gaol for a very long time if he/she survived. That's my recalculation.

Why should anyone have to suffer for someone else's stupidity? It's not about forgiveness. What about the victim - they come 1st in my book and the perp comes a long way last - if ever.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Why should anyone have to suffer for someone else's stupidity?
The way I saw it, it wasn't stupidity, it was a mistake. We all make `em.

Hopefully for all of us here, including you and me, those mistakes aren't life ending, or altering in a negative way.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I think she should be in gaol for a very long time if he/she survived. That's my recalculation.

Why should anyone have to suffer for someone else's stupidity? It's not about forgiveness. What about the victim - they come 1st in my book and the perp comes a long way last - if ever.
I read that and a song popped into my head......."Oh Lord its hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way"........

Unfortunately, everyone on this planet suffers from someone's stupidity every day. You are not excluded from that statistic. I agree that we shouldn't have to suffer but we do. BTW, natural selection only works if the offender is taken out of the gene pool before they reproduce....just sayin'
Mike

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
According to the comments, there were no serious injuries.
I've played that vid a dozen times in slow-mo... Tough to tell because she was blonde, but my synopsis is she was only concerned with fitting between the two cars on her right and never looked to her left until she was already pulling out.

Its a real shame you had to stop and couldnt just report it and keep going because if you was going to a fire peoples lives are at risk through no fault of theirs whereas she clearly was at fault and didn't deserve your help or the right to put others at risk.

when i first got my geared varadero 125 i was riding round the a roundabout in the rain to go straight on i was riding text book in the left lane passed the left turn which i wasn't indicating for as i was going straight on. All the traffic was waiting for me to pass except a lady who decide to pull out then stop across the exit i was then indicating for im braking and freaking out and i make it to within a foot of her door at which point she gives me the finger and drives off. Had i not been so freaked out i would have been happy to drag her out the car and sacrifice my arai to beat her with it just for the finger not for the stupid mistake she made.
i now expect people will do anything

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
First, Thanks Mike for bringing this "Riding Safely" angle to this thread. It brought out a lot of conversation on the subject. And now my short story to add.
Riding on a small country road I knew an adjoining road (on the right) was coming up with a partial hidden view (for a driver coming to that stop sign) to see me coming. (Road to Gizditch Ranch)
Adjusting my speed down a bit (to 45 mph) a driver appeared at the sign and pulled out in front of me. With reduced speed it was easy to avoid a tee bone situation. To those that drive like they stole the bike it would have been an airborn flight . I lived through it and logged another imaginary stamp on the plastics, as well as the brain.

Thanks again Mike !

Top Bottom