Another Oil Leak on my ST1300

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just prepping for a road trip and discovered an oil leak around the right front engine area. Bike is '07' and has 26K+ miles on it. I suspect it may be the Galley Plug mentioned in other threads here. Is this galley plug leak more common certain years of production? Wonder if anyone has compiled data on types of leaks and what year bike they were common to.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My discovery was much like this but it turned out to be nothing more than cooling system leaks. The coolant mixed with road grime took on the appearance of oil. The mixture sits up there on top of the block for who knows how long before it finds it's way to the drain channel between front of the block and the water pump cover. The top of the block is not flat but has various places for coolant to be trapped and emulsify with dirt and grime before it drains. It exits the square drain hole on the right front side of the engine and blows around the right side of the engine. It's my personal opinion the galley plug does not ever leak oil. Much later, some 30K later, when I had to go into the vee to replace the alternator I was able to see what the area around the gallery plug looks like and it does look like oil but it's a mixture of grime and coolant. I cleaned it up and there has been no recurrence in 70,xxx miles since.

If you haven't cleaned up the oil or grime yet look closely to see if it is coming out of the square drain or the tiny round weep hole for the water pump.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Like Dave said are you sure it is an oil leak?? Clean it up and run it and look for the leak.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Having gone through an actual oil leak coming from the "V". Mine happened to be the alternator o-ring. I removed and reinstalled the Galley plug 1st, and will contend that mine was so well thread sealed, none should leak. It was a struggle to remove due to the fantastic sealing properties they used.

My leak actually flowed when the engine was running above 2000 RPM. I had an actual oil puddle under the bike the next morning after a ride.

The grime and dirt was at least a quarter of an inch deep on top of the engine in the V area. This made finding my leak tough, even using a bore scope, I could not see the leak as the oil had to seep through this grime to exit at the drainage channel ending at above mentioned square port.

Coolant filtering through this grime could have an oil coloration, but be watery in consistency.

Oil leaks are rare on top of the engine, coolant leaks common.

My experience.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
My discovery was much like this but it turned out to be nothing more than cooling system leaks. The coolant mixed with road grime took on the appearance of oil. The mixture sits up there on top of the block for who knows how long before it finds it's way to the drain channel between front of the block and the water pump cover. The top of the block is not flat but has various places for coolant to be trapped and emulsify with dirt and grime before it drains. It exits the square drain hole on the right front side of the engine and blows around the right side of the engine. It's my personal opinion the galley plug does not ever leak oil. Much later, some 30K later, when I had to go into the vee to replace the alternator I was able to see what the area around the gallery plug looks like and it does look like oil but it's a mixture of grime and coolant. I cleaned it up and there has been no recurrence in 70,xxx miles since.

If you haven't cleaned up the oil or grime yet look closely to see if it is coming out of the square drain or the tiny round weep hole for the water pump.
Dave,

I am positive it is oil and not coolant however based on yours and others comments I will probably be looking at several other areas other than the Galley plug. My first valve check was done last January at 22k around 4500 miles ago and due to the size of the leak sounds like I should look at the right head cover seals first. I will have time to pull the tupperware tomorrow and give it a close inspection. I will include some pics tomorrow as well.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe the valve cover gasket did not seal correctly after the valve check. The rubber heat blanket can get caught under the valve cover and cause a leak but when I did this it was a big leak and apparent within 50 miles or so.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Dave,

It was indeed the Oil Galley Blanket just caught in the upper edge of the head cover.
I'm sure someone else has posted pics of this before but here are mine in any case.
DSC01777r.jpgDSC01780r.jpgDSC01782r.jpg

After quick cleanup. Saving detailing fro another time.
DSC01784r.jpgDSC01786r.jpg

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I had the same thing on my ST when the dealer checked the valve adjustment, got home and my foot and pants had oil everywhere. Turned around and road back and had the mechanic fix it, easy thing to miss. Glad it was a simple fix.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just performed my first valve check tonight. All clearances were in spec. Yea! But after starting it up, I had a good oil leak from the the right hand side valve cover area. Booo. I read about this problem happening prior to starting the job, and I thought I was really careful not to pinch any of that rubber skirt with the valve cover. Apparently, I was wrong. I'm going to get some rest and will remove the cover tomorrow and will try again.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to verify that the rubber skirt is not being pinched, before starting it up, please advise me.

Joel

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just performed my first valve check tonight. All clearances were in spec. Yea! But after starting it up, I had a good oil leak from the the right hand side valve cover area. Booo. I read about this problem happening prior to starting the job, and I thought I was really careful not to pinch any of that rubber skirt with the valve cover. Apparently, I was wrong. I'm going to get some rest and will remove the cover tomorrow and will try again.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to verify that the rubber skirt is not being pinched, before starting it up, please advise me.

Joel
Many of us have done it - welcome to the club!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Just look for no leaks afterward. :D

Cut a piece of thin cardboard the length of the valve cover and high enough to clear it after installation (12x12" will do). Slip it between the heat mat and the cylinder head before you install the cover. As you install the cover, the cardboard will make sure the heat mat stays out of the way. Then just pull it out when you're done and the mat will flop into the right position.

--Mark

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Cut a piece of thin cardboard the length of the valve cover and high enough to clear it after installation (12x12" will do). Slip it between the heat mat and the cylinder head before you install the cover. As you install the cover, the cardboard will make sure the heat mat stays out of the way. Then just pull it out when you're done and the mat will flop into the right position.
Mark - an actual response on a method that should keep the mat from getting pinched. How refreshing to read one. Great idea/method.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've corrected the leak. It turns out that the rubber skirt was not the problem. That was not pinched. Instead, I managed to disrupt the valve cover gasket in two places. It was no longer seated perfectly in the groove of the valve cover. When I reinstalled the cover this morning, I disturbed the gasket a second time while putting the cover in place. I couldn't see what I'm catching it on, but it was clear that's what happened. So I fixed it again and more gingerly put the cover in place. Finally, it was back together properly and there was no longer a leak.

That was more of an adventure than I anticipated. But really I'm just glad that I completed the inspection and the engine still ran afterwards!

I have sincere appreciation for all the expertise shared here.

Joel

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm too late for this now but when I do a valve check I unbolt the coils and remove the threaded stud for the button head screw that retains the upper part of the middle cowl then pull the wire harness up out of the way. This frees up space to get the covers off and on without maneuvering under the harness that runs across the top of them.

Top Bottom