New Tire Mounting Method (Tie Wraps)

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I'm always a skeptic when coming to new ideas. I tried the tie wrap method of mounting a Michelin PR 4 GT. The air temp was 21c,..

IT WORKED

The total time for tie wrapping and install was 10 minutes. I used lots of lube on the bead and on the rim..

Piece of cake..

I got the most of that tire plug, it is still stuck in the tire

Attachments

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good work! I put on a PR4 with zip ties also. Best seal I've had since the first tire. Got that rim real clean and used rubber tire cement. I'll continue to mount with zip ties.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Nice that you can do that with those tires, now try it with a Bridgestone BT-20 tire with the stiff sidewalls.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just did the same thing with a Michelin PR4 GT...I bought it especially for that reason. It slipped on easily after a bit of lube and zip-tying it. I used Harbor Freight Zip ties, which were more than adequate. I was shocked at how easily it went on. I had considered a Bridgestone T30, but after reading about how rigid the sidewalls are, I tried the Michelin. I am glad I did, at least for my first tire mounting experience.

I did put it out in the hot sun for about a half hour, and it was very warm when I brought it in.I used homemade lube, which I found on this site, and it worked great. Altogether glad I tried it. I'll not go back to the tire dealer.....

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I think it would be hard to get the wraps in the rim and around the tire
Saw Zip ties used on YouTube to take off tire and the fellow still used tire irons. I agree with you and scratched my rim enough, can't see it unless right up on it, but that's enough for me.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I can attest to how well the zip tie method works. Just keep squeezing things until the beads touch and it comes right off. I got the rear off without using a tire iron, just a few hits with a rubber mallet, and If I wasn't sore from work, I bet that would not have been needed. Both went on without an tools, or hammer use. I used small zip ties I scavenged from work, and they were a bit hard to get to go past the beads, so I used a pair of tire irons to make that easier, but I will buy the 1/4 inch ties from HDepot/Lowes/Menards once I run out of the freebies and I won't need to do that. You just need to get the edges under the bead so you shouldn't need to pry at all . It just takes a bit of time. The Tires were Shinko Verge, 160/60 rear and 120/70 front The sidewalls on that 160/60 were pretty stiff, but you just need to get the beads to touch
It's all Reginald's fault anyhow. He was talking about the method iirc at the Lagrange RTE so I gave it a go.

Oh, yeah, the tires I mounted were a Raven in 170/60, and an Avon Road Rider front/rear 110/80.

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
spoon off, Never even tried the tie wraps. I think it would be hard to get the wraps in the rim and around the tire
I've seen a video but it was a sport bike tire, easy to squeeze and let the ty-rap follow around the rim drop.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I am about to try the zip ties on my BT45 front DS. I will use a big C clamp to squeeze tire at all points intended for zip ties. Will let you know how it went in a few hours.

Bike
ST1300 2008
I have a new Bridgestone Battlax to install, it is very stiff, can't spoon it, will make a trip to Harbor Freight and pick up some tools and zips..

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have a new Bridgestone Battlax to install, it is very stiff, can't spoon it, will make a trip to Harbor Freight and pick up some tools and zips..
I just put 8 huge 1/4" zips on my battleaxe BT45 on the front (used 2 big C clamps to squeeze tire) and the inner lips touched all around. There is no way I could get that stiff big lipped tire off that rim, spoons were no help. Forget it, not happening, do not waste your time or zip ties. Painted wheel got scratched and the wheel is very soft aluminum.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I just put 8 huge 1/4" zips on my battleaxe BT45 on the front (used 2 big C clamps to squeeze tire) and the inner lips touched all around. There is no way I could get that stiff big lipped tire off that rim, spoons were no help. Forget it, not happening, do not waste your time or zip ties. Painted wheel got scratched and the wheel is very soft aluminum.
The battleaxe tire seams to be more stiff than the PR4 GT. I still had trouble getting the PR4 off and scratched my rim. I have the shop remove them. The PR4 is easy to get on with zip ties though. Just walked it on.

Top Bottom