question about jis screwdrivers

I'm in the process of pulling the cab set on my 1100. I'm finding it very hard to locate the drain screws/plugs, while the carb set is on the motor. my plan is to pull the set, without inverting it. and drain and then clean out the bottom collected crud, before inverting the set for the intended work. this means that I'll have to unscrew the bowls from the bottom. difficult enough with the right tool. so my question is- what size to buy for this task? is there a simple apex type of tip available or does this require a true screwdriver? and what size to buy?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You can purchase Vessel JIS screwdrivers from McMaster Carr in a three piece set for about $25 bucks.
You can also purchase a two piece set of JIS bits for your quarter inch driver (or 1/4 inch box end wrench) for about $5.00 from motion pro.
You'll want these before you start tearing into your bike, or you'll end up replacing a bunch of damaged screws.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The ST1100 carb float bowl drain screws are a simple slot/flat-tip head type. Page 5-18 in the Honda Service Manual (missing in some early editions, incl mine) shows you how to reach them with a long screwdriver to drain the bowls in situ. A flashlight with a flexible stalk tip works well to find the screw heads. HTH

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Agree with John. Exact flashlight useage and a long flat blade screwdriver Will Work with the carbs on the bike. It just takes a while to actually eyeball those darn screws.

#2 JIS for the carbs and most other things..

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
You may wish to consider dipping the tip of the screwdriver into valve lapping paste (also called valve lapping compound). It's available from Permatex and other makers in a tin or tube, either of which will last a lifetime. The carborundum grit adds an extraordinary grip to the driver, especially in worn screws. Works even better on Phillips type drives.

If able to give the head of the screw a few taps with a punch and light hammer, this will often help to loosen the screw. The trick is a light hammer in order to produce shock rather than a heavy one which will tend to move or distort the structure. It's the reverse of driving a part into or out of place.

The USB cameras can be helpful as an alternative to a mirror. $20.00 off Ebay for standard USB for a laptop or micro USB for an Android tablet or phone. Don't know about other phones as haven't looked for cameras. If buying one, get a couple of the mirror, hook and magnet kits which are about $2.00. The mirrors are a bit fragile so a spare is handy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-Endoscope-Waterproof-Snake-Borescope-Micro-USB-Inspection-Video-Camera-/171827746965?var=&hash=item2801bb5895

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
ST1100 Carb Drain Procedure

For those whose Honda Service Manual came without the carb drain procedure (my good dealer made this copy for me, I made the 'chicken scratches' [notes] on it):

CarbDrainP5-18 GSl.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
got by with reg. phillips. the bowl came off without damaging any screw heads. Recently I was at the local Tacoma screw store front and bought about 20 of the socket cap screws that have a 3MM hex hole in the head.( at nearly a buck per!!) next time I open these, I'm going to replace with these screws and washers. thanks for the help all

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Recently I was at the local Tacoma screw store front and bought about 20 of the S.S.cap screws that have a 3MM hex hole in the head.( at nearly a buck per!!)
There's a local hardware store in the Miramar area who sells those things for about a dime each, maybe a little more depending on the exact size. If anybody else has the same idea lemme know, I'll buy a few and mail them to you.

Top Bottom