Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Clutch fluid leak

  1. #11
    (Threadstarter)
    MikesGTS1000's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 ST1300
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario
    Posts
    37
    My Gallery

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    All is good in the world again, ready for next years riding! The stead is put to sleep till spring.
    Mike S.
    Last edited by MikesGTS1000; 11-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.

  2. #12
    (Threadstarter)
    MikesGTS1000's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 ST1300
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario
    Posts
    37
    My Gallery

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Seal was leaking, after removing it found the outer small seal cracked, the cylinder body full of black rubber deposits from the larger piston seal. So both seals were the problem, just cleaned up the cylinder body and installed the new seals $26.00 and free labor.
    Mike S.

  3. #13
    NWRich's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    9
    Tip Overs
    1
    2017 Miles
    000027

    My Gallery

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Hi Pete,

    I am looking into getting this job done. Did you end up doing an article on fixing this? I am new to trying to "fix" things on my bike so I am not quite up to doing this fix on my own. I am trying to get as much info as possible and also looking for a mechanic in the Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Seattle or areas near here to help me out with this. I have called two dealers and they both started off saying that it should be an easy fix, then come back after asking their technicians, and say it is the 14 hr job of taking out the engine and swing arm just to replace the slave cylinder gaskets. So, if anyone has any body they know or trust in the Seattle area, I'd love to hear about them.
    Thanks for anything you can point out to me Pete!
    Rich

  4. #14

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    With small tools (1/4 drive) and long wrenches (snap-on), it takes about an hour to replace the slave cylinder seals.
    Its easier on a lift or table, but do-able on the side stand if you don't have back or neck issues.
    Perhaps MikesGTS100 will post that procedure he spoke of and explain what tools he used.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Igofar

  5. #15
    SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    8,887
    2017 Miles
    011255

    My Gallery

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    I'll be doing this to my 2010. I flushed the fluid and within a few days it gets dark!

    I have to wait until I get my shed built in the back so I have someplace to work on it at.

    I plan on using a lift to support the bike and make it easier to get under.
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -11,000 miles, 2010 - 60,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 20,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

  6. #16

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Quote Originally Posted by SupraSabre View Post
    I'll be doing this to my 2010. I flushed the fluid and within a few days it gets dark!

    I have to wait until I get my shed built in the back so I have someplace to work on it at.

    I plan on using a lift to support the bike and make it easier to get under.
    That sounds more like a heat issue, than a leak. Do you have signs of fluid loss, or leaks?

  7. #17
    SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    8,887
    2017 Miles
    011255

    My Gallery

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    That sounds more like a heat issue, than a leak. Do you have signs of fluid loss, or leaks?
    The clutch has been slipping at higher rpms/speed, but I don't see anything on the ground when the bike is sitting, nor do I see it seeping out...

    I just assumed it was allowing (sucking) oil into the clutch hydraulics.

  8. #18
    NWRich's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    9
    Tip Overs
    1
    2017 Miles
    000027

    My Gallery

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Thanks for the info Igofar. With you saying it took you about an hour I am guessing that means that you didn't take much off to get to the seals, correct? I just changed the oil and filter but it sounds like it is being suggested to removed the oil filter to get more room. Did you find that is what you had to do?
    Rich

  9. #19

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Quote Originally Posted by SupraSabre View Post
    The clutch has been slipping at higher rpms/speed, but I don't see anything on the ground when the bike is sitting, nor do I see it seeping out...

    I just assumed it was allowing (sucking) oil into the clutch hydraulics.
    Sounds more like your clutch/springs have gone south for the winter. But I do know how much you like wrenching on these bikes

  10. #20

    Re: Clutch fluid leak

    Quote Originally Posted by NWRich View Post
    Thanks for the info Igofar. With you saying it took you about an hour I am guessing that means that you didn't take much off to get to the seals, correct? I just changed the oil and filter but it sounds like it is being suggested to removed the oil filter to get more room. Did you find that is what you had to do?
    Rich
    Rich, I've done it both ways, with the oil filter off, and with it in place. Remove the single bolt that holds the rubber overflow lines and move the bracket out of the way, then remove the single bolt holding the shifter linkage to the shaft and move the entire assembly out of the way, then you have clear (but tight) access. If this is the first time your doing it, it way be easier for you to remove the oil filter just so you have a better view. Remove the lower black cowlings on both sides. A small mechanics mirror and light are helpful in seeing that everything is clean in there. Also make note of the direction of the banjo fittings. That's about it. Good luck.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •