Thread: Clutch fluid leak

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Clutch fluid leak

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    Sounds more like your clutch/springs have gone south for the winter. But I do know how much you like wrenching on these bikes
    Well, I figure that will be the "next" course of action, but I still think that the CSC has a leak.

› Site Search for: Clutch fluid leak
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 - 8,700 miles, 2010 - 60,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 & #2 20,000 miles (Both need waterpumps)
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPete View Post
    Hi again: I just checked out the little Motion Pro bleeder tool and while it would good for bleeding the air at the end of the job, I don't think it would help to drain the clutch hydraulic system in the first place.

THAT was where the vacuum brake bleeder really helped.

Pete
    We will have to agree to disagree on the vacuum bleeder....again, not needed. I have used the MP tool to bleed brakes, clutches, and any system that uses hydraulic or brake fluid without problems.
    Most folks that try it never go back to using the vacuum bleeder again. What do you think would happen if you simply put a clear tube on the clutch bleeder, opened the valve, and pumped the clutch lever till all the fluid drained out
    Finally saw the photos, good job!

Bike
    2007 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

We will have to agree to disagree on the vacuum bleeder....again, not needed. I have used the MP tool to bleed brakes, clutches, and any system that uses hydraulic or brake fluid without problems.
    Most folks that try it never go back to using the vacuum bleeder again. What do you think would happen if you simply put a clear tube on the clutch bleeder, opened the valve, and pumped the clutch lever till all the fluid drained out
    Finally saw the photos, good job!
    OK - not to be argumentative, but I do not understand how, once the master cylinder is empty - how pumping the lever pushes the remaining fluid out of the bleeder nipple...

The MP tool does indeed look very useful for bleeding air out of a filled system - IF it has fluid to use. The advert even says that it won`t work on a `dry` system (i.e. on where there is no fluid).

hmmmmmmm......
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPete View Post
    OK - not to be argumentative, but I do not understand how, once the master cylinder is empty - how pumping the lever pushes the remaining fluid out of the bleeder nipple...

The MP tool does indeed look very useful for bleeding air out of a filled system - IF it has fluid to use. The advert even says that it won`t work on a `dry` system (i.e. on where there is no fluid).

hmmmmmmm......
    I'm sorry, I was not trying to be argumentative, I think you did a good job repairing your bike.
    The MP is simply a check valve that only lets fluid go in one direction, and yes, you need some fluid in the lines to build up pressure to work, however, what if.....you didn't drain the master cylinder first, then simply opened up the bleeder valve, and pumped all the fluid out through the bleeder? Would this not do the same thing?
    Several ways to skin a cat, yours worked, and you should feel proud that you did it yourself and saved alot of money.

Bike
    2007 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I'm sorry, I was not trying to be argumentative, I think you did a good job repairing your bike.
    The MP is simply a check valve that only lets fluid go in one direction, and yes, you need some fluid in the lines to build up pressure to work, however, what if.....you didn't drain the master cylinder first, then simply opened up the bleeder valve, and pumped all the fluid out through the bleeder? Would this not do the same thing?
    Several ways to skin a cat, yours worked, and you should feel proud that you did it yourself and saved alot of money.
    Not to worry, I suspect we're in violent agreement on several points. My issue is that once the master cylinder has no fluid, it cannot push any more and yet you'd still have fluid all the way down the line and inside the slave and even down the bleed line. The whole idea is to drain the entire system so that it doesn't come running out into your eye when you take things apart.

I doubt that the master would push air and I also suspect that surface tension and fluid friction inside those tiny lines would stop all that fluid from running out the bleed line.

Anyhow - next time, I'm going to try your idea - it would certainly save some time. All good!

Cheers,

Pete

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234