ABS conversion?

Bike
2009 ST 1300
OK newbie here with a question asking the group has anyone ever converted a non ABS 1300 to an ABS 1300 and how is it done. thanks for the help Sabrekip

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, It's been discussed here before . . . . It would be quicker and less expensive to trade your non-ABS model for an ABS model.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Too many differences in the main harness, etc. to make a conversion practical. I have never heard of anyone successfully doing it in my 20 years of ST11 and ST13 experience.

-Jeff

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I looked into this on a ST1100 (which would be about the same but a little more effort because of the fork/caliper difference), and it would be more work than it is worth. And the big problem would be trying to 'debug' it to make sure it works. I do plan on swapping just the hydraulic bits/forks one day on my 97 standard ST1100 but that will be a major chore in itself. The only way I could see pulling it off would be to have a standard and an ABS sitting side by side, strip them down to the frame and swap parts. But if you had the ABS (unless it was wrecked), it just would not make much sense. There a lot of electrical and 'pump' things to install with the ABS system. And on the ST1100 ABS, it even has a slightly difference rear hub and fairing stay (I have one of each). ;-)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Not sure about the ST1300, but the ABS 1100's also have a different ECM or ECM tuning due to the TCS function that uses the wheel speed sensors from the ABS system to detect rear wheel slip and retard the ignition timing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, someone from Russia I believe was trying it at some point a few years back but I don't remember any, or much, conversation about it.

Much cheaper and easier to just buy an ABS bike in the first place if it's that important to you.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Not only considering the (excellent) price-, and time-related comments above, but consider trying to sell that bike a few years from now.

If I saw a bike for sale that an owner had personally fabricated into an ABS model...I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm okay with buying somebody else's farkling, but not when that farkling has involved re-engineering the entire braking system of the bike!!

Just sayin'... :D

OP
OP
Bike
2009 ST 1300
Gentlemen thank you for all your input .I just bought an 09 ST 13 with ABS it was just us discussion a friend of mine and I had gotten into about non ABS bikes so not attempting it just wondering if somebody else had. once again thank you for your info. Sabrekip

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Conversion in the other direction is easy: just pull fuse "A" and the ABS will no longer function.

--Mark

Top Bottom