Driving lights?

OP
OP
CoopST
Question for you pros.
Can I go to brighter h3 bulbs with no issues?
These lights are nice looking and add good light, but on the very dark road I commute on more would be better! I hate to buy more lights if I can go with brighter bulbs and get what I need.
Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I would replace the halogens with some 30 degree LED spots from SuperBright LEDs. More light and less power draw. I have a set of these on my bike. hanging below the mirrors with some homebrew mounts.

My high beams work pretty good, but these LED's do a nice job "filling-in" my low beams and it's hard for the cager's to miss me when they are on. A riding buddy and I were separated by traffic during a ride, and he told me later he could see those spots ( during the daylight ) even when I was about a half mile behind him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoopST
Thanks, but right now funds are tight and I need more light on the lower budget side.
Bulbs are 55w, I can get 100w replacements for rather reasonable prices locally. What do I have to worry about IF I just go that route? More heat? More amperage draw?

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
What do I have to worry about IF I just go that route?
From reading a lot of posts for many years you risk melting your reflector with 100w bulbs... And if you think the LEDs are expensive wait until you check the price of the headlight assembly! DOH!!!
:)

Good luck,
Mark

OP
OP
CoopST
Just for clarification this is in my driving lights NOT the headlight assembly.
Idunno he best answer, I'm asking to learn and see my options. The driving lights do ok w 55 watt, but I commute year round on dark roads w deer and logging truck debris. If I can get by with what I have, I really need to. If not, I will have to save up.
What is a decent set of led spots to go with? I'm not mounting on my mirrors, just don't want anything there, it would have to go where my current ones are located or on the forks. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoopST
Good!
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Can't help you on better visibility as I know of only mirror mounts that hold up to long term use.
Thanks for the help. Didn't think I l8ked the mirror idea, but after conversation with NerSteve, that may be the way I go. I can fab brackets cheap, just need budget friendly leds to make it happen.

OP
OP
CoopST
Yes, I replaced all the wiring and made sure the connections were all good, haven't had any fuse issue since.
The reason this came up again is I blew a bulb (original bulb I rhonk)and wanted to ask input on better bulbs, to see if anyone could offer advice on bulb choice.
I am going with these, pricey, but output is great and no extra power draw or much to worry about.
http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-High-Performance-Halogen/dp/B008BE02R8
I will try to do a comparison pic of reg 55w vs the new one, I hope it's as good as advertised.
I may add led spots later, but now, I need all the lights I have working as good as possible.

Top Bottom