click, click, ABS?

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I have a 2001 ST with ABS
I had reason to jump on the brakes as hard as I have ever done so in a "real life" situation.
After I resumed my ride, I heard a "click, clicking" almost as if a stick was rubbing something.
The brakes seemed to work fine, even under hard testing, so I continued.
The clicking seemed to reduce at times.
Back at the Two Wheel Inn, with the bike on the centerstand and a friend pushing down on the luggage rack, I spun the front wheel.
That was the source.
I found that the ABS ring was shiny for about half, and rusted on the other.
The ABS sensor is very close to the ring...shining a flashlight indicated that there was zero clearance between the sensor and the ring.
I pried the sensor as best I could and the clicking stopped......
Looking at that stuff, with very poor light, reveals a LOT of stuff there....
When I get home, I hope to really clean that area...
Am I right in thinking that my prying the sensor away (very little, as I did not loosen anything) cured the problem?
Thanks

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The ABS sensor is very close to the ring...shining a flashlight indicated that there was zero clearance between the sensor and the ring.
Unfortunately a common maintenance error on ABS models...

The proper procedure for removing the wheels:

1) remove the ABS sensor
2) then remove the wheel according to the instructions

and then:
i) install wheel according to instructions (clean/lube bearing seals, proper torque, etc...)
ii) then install ABS sensor with proper clearance to sensor ring (for that very purpose is there even a feeler-gauge included in the OEM tool-kit...)

Handling the heavy wheel in that close proximity of the sensor, will result in banging it up...
Following procedure would prevent issues like you'd experienced and also keep the sensor mounts free of corrosion (especially if one uses copper slip or alike for preservation); instead (too) many end up rusted/corroded shut into place...

Lets hope that the sensor hasn't suffered any damage from that stunt; seems you've caught it in time...

Top Bottom