Jackets Fly Terra 4 jacket?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I received my Terra Trek 4 from Revzilla. I ordered a hi-viz large based upon their size chart. Fit is as expected, just a hair on the big side, which I like... I always seem to be between a Med and Lrg. The jacket has a lot of nice details... Revzilla has a good video on it. Haven't ridden with it yet but really like it around the house. ;) Will post more once I get some miles on it. My upcoming ride from San Diego to Dallas will be a good test. Thanks again for the recommendation Mr. Coop!

OP
OP
CoopST
My pleasure! I hope it makes you as happy as I have been with mine.
I have a few cold and REALLY RAINY RIDES with mine now and haven't had a stitch wet yet.
The only down side is I cannot open vents while riding, but, I shouldn't anyway.
The jacket is super warm with liner! My leather jacket I still had to wear multiple layers under it, but this is great down to 27* with a tshirt and maybe a sweat shirt at most. Haven't seen a need to break out the under armor top yet.
Now, if my poor hands would stay warm... heated grips help a lot, but still...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'll be wearing mine with electric gloves and jacket liner... no cold for me!

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Have any of you guys worn the Terra 4 on something other than an ST or other fully faired bike? If so, how did it perform? Im in the market for a new jacket as well and am curious if this jacket would be suitable for an adventure touring bike which obviously has less wind protection than an ST. Im especially interested in how this jacket would be in cold weather on an adventure touring bike.

OP
OP
CoopST
I have not used it on anything else but I have ridden standing up on the pegs and it is nice. I think it may be kind of designed for adventure touring!
It's nice and durable!

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have not used it on anything else but I have ridden standing up on the pegs and it is nice. I think it may be kind of designed for adventure touring!
It's nice and durable!

Coop-
Thanks for the feedback!

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, I made a little u-turn on this jacket. When originally searching for a new 4-season jacket, I was looking hard at the Tourmaster Transition 4. I have some Tourmaster mesh pants and really like them. After seeing CoopST's review here on the Terra Trek 4 and seeing all the good reviews for it online, I decided to go with it considering it was $90 less. After receiving my Terra Trek 4, I really liked it... fit pretty well, had nice features, was well made and I liked the materials.

Fast forward to the Dallas Motorcycle show where I purchased a pair of Tourmaster Calibre textile pants and decided to try on the Transition 4 jacket at 25% off the $270 retail price. It fit me perfect (better than the Terra), had better venting and I liked the materials better. Overall, it had a few more 'features' and just felt like a little better jacket. It definitely had better shoulder padding. Bottom line is I pulled the trigger on the Tourmaster and returned my Fly Terra Trek 4. I believe they are both pretty similar, giving the Tourmaster a slight nod. Considering I already had some other Tourmaster gear, I went with the Tourmaster jacket. Coop, I expect you'll be very happy with your Fly and hope the same for me and my Tourmaster. ;)

OP
OP
CoopST
Well, I made a little u-turn on this jacket. When originally searching for a new 4-season jacket, I was looking hard at the Tourmaster Transition 4. I have some Tourmaster mesh pants and really like them. After seeing CoopST's review here on the Terra Trek 4 and seeing all the good reviews for it online, I decided to go with it considering it was $90 less. After receiving my Terra Trek 4, I really liked it... fit pretty well, had nice features, was well made and I liked the materials.

Fast forward to the Dallas Motorcycle show where I purchased a pair of Tourmaster Calibre textile pants and decided to try on the Transition 4 jacket at 25% off the $270 retail price. It fit me perfect (better than the Terra), had better venting and I liked the materials better. Overall, it had a few more 'features' and just felt like a little better jacket. It definitely had better shoulder padding. Bottom line is I pulled the trigger on the Tourmaster and returned my Fly Terra Trek 4. I believe they are both pretty similar, giving the Tourmaster a slight nod. Considering I already had some other Tourmaster gear, I went with the Tourmaster jacket. Coop, I expect you'll be very happy with your Fly and hope the same for me and my Tourmaster. ;)
Tourmaster is great stuff too, just expensive overall. I had a Sonora jacket a few years back and it was a nice jacket, but with the mesh outer when it go wet it was unbelievably heavy. It started out heavy anyways, but got worst.
I sold it and went Hi viz, haven't looked back.
I will consider Tourmaster everytime I purchase, not knocking the gear at all, I just don't have a Tourmaster budget and never have bike shows or places that run sales near me.

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My new Tourmaster is hi-viz, pretty much the same as the Terra Trek. I was able to compare them side-by-side at home and all in all they were quite similar, with a slight nod to the Tourmaster. It appears that Fly may have used the Tourmaster Transition 4 as their target from a design standpoint. The kicker for me was a slightly better fit and protection on the Tourmaster.

OP
OP
CoopST
My new Tourmaster is hi-viz, pretty much the same as the Terra Trek. I was able to compare them side-by-side at home and all in all they were quite similar, with a slight nod to the Tourmaster. It appears that Fly may have used the Tourmaster Transition 4 as their target from a design standpoint. The kicker for me was a slightly better fit and protection on the Tourmaster.
Yes, Tourmaster is good quality, I also don't blame Fly for targeting them for ideas/designs.

Top Bottom