Continental Optimized Curve Braking

STOC #
KTM and Ducati were offering the Bosch version of electronic curve braking at the end of 2014.
BMW was to offer their Continental version, also at the end of 2014 on the S 1000 XR.
Anyone know of other BMW models to be fitted with the Optimized Curve Braking?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...roll-cage, ejection seat, training wheels...

For a change they should turn back into building vehicles bare of them electronic-gizmo's, but with decent frame, suspension and handling again...

Currently their practising the same silly custom as the car industry "converting farm tractors bare any driving characteristics into sport-cars" by slapping electronics into them, simply because its cheaper then developing sophisticated, driving physic optimized vehicles...

With enough electronic added even a barn-door will fly...

To answer the OP: all beemers with integral ABS are cursed with ASC and DTC as well...

DAS

STOC #
I found this. sounds cool but what happens if it malfunctions - in say Yaak, MT? http://www.continental-corporation.com/www/pressportal_com_en/themes/press_releases/3_automotive_group/chassis_safety/press_releases/pr_2014_11_13_optimiertes_kurvenbremsen_en.html

quote:
The interaction between numerous sensorics and high-capacity algorithms in a sensorbox is decisive for optimized curve braking. The ABS adapts as a function of how much a rider leans into a curve, depending on the situation. The sensor cluster provides signals on roll and pitch rates plus lateral acceleration to help determine the angle at which a rider is leaning and checks the data around one hundred times per second. As the rider leans more into a curve, the system further limits the speed of the brake-pressure increase at the beginning of braking. The resultant braking pressure accumulates in a more gradual fashion. In addition, the ABS doses modulation more gently. Advantages of the optimized curve braking result in a more sensitive response, greater stability and optimum braking, even in curves for the driver.

The system permits a series of other safety functions that benefit both manufacturers and riders:

Particularly sensitive lift-off detection for the rear wheel for optimum deceleration and stability (Rear Wheel Lift-Off Protection, RLP).
Electronic traction control (Traction Control System, TCS) steps in whenever a motorcycle threatens to get out of control due to excess speed, extreme banking or too much slip. Motor management and/or braking reins in power so that a motorcycle can regain stability.
Wheelie control regulates engine torque to prevent the front wheel from lifting off during acceleration.
ABS - The European Union passes legislation mandating this lifesaver

Anti-lock Brake Systems are just as important to motorcycles as they are to cars so that a vehicle remains stable under emergency braking, the front wheel continues to turn, and the motorcycle does not come to an abrupt fall. “Studies have shown that equipping motorcycles with ABS could reduce accidents by 20 to 30 percent”, said Le Roy. “Universal use of ABS in motorcycles and scooters could greatly reduce the number of serious injuries and accidental deaths”.

The European Union (EU) has already reacted. ABS will become mandatory for motorcycles with more than 125 cc displacement starting January 1, 2016 for newly developed models, and January 1, 2017 for any new motorcycle sold in the EU. The step will give motorcyclists more stability, more control and a big safety plus. Continental is supporting manufacturers and riders with an array of solutions for every class of vehicle. The lineup extends from simple one-channel ABS for scooters and light motorcycles to the Motorcycle Integral Brake system that also offers such enhanced features as sport and off-road ABS, optimized curve braking or Motorcycle Hold & Go.

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
Thanks for the viewpoint below.
I was all set to deep-six the Stability Control,Traction Control, ABS, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, All the Airbags (7), Active Headrests, Seatbelts, Seatbelt Emergency Locking Retractors, Collapsible steering column, Energy-absorbing crumple zones, Side-impact door beams on my car when I suddenly remembered the two little girls that are alive today in part to the Brake Assist.

Even the pro racers will at times go too hot into a curve and tuck it in. On the street, some riders would go hard on the brakes first, which would stand you up and shoot you off the turn. I don't see how the technology of Optimized Curved Braking can be a bad thing if it saves someone from a guard-rail , tree or cliff's edge.

...roll-cage, ejection seat, training wheels...

For a change they should turn back into building vehicles bare of them electronic-gizmo's, but with decent frame, suspension and handling again...

Currently their practising the same silly custom as the car industry "converting farm tractors bare any driving characteristics into sport-cars" by slapping electronics into them, simply because its cheaper then developing sophisticated, driving physic optimized vehicles...

To answer the OP: all beemers with integral ABS are cursed with ASC and DTC as well...[/QUOTE

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

...slapping electronics into them, simply because its cheaper then developing sophisticated, driving physic optimized vehicles...
To answer the OP: all beemers with integral ABS are cursed with ASC and DTC as well...
The electronic complexity of bikes (and cars) today, make them nearly impossible to truly understand by even the shop techs who TRY to service them. My Accord Hybrid does things I don't even try to understand and will never know if something is amiss.

I picked up my Motus this past Saturday and have to say, I'm stoked beyond belief........simplicity at its' finest.
I spoke with Motus Tech, Tom this morning on a few items I'm working on to 'fine tune' the bike a bit, but Wow, this bike puts one back to what real motorcycling is all about.
It has the sound and feel of an ST4 at startup, but smooths out to an easy ride position with a Duc/Moto Guzzi sound. In a word, character like nothing before it, or out there now. Motown Muscle!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...this bike puts one back to what real motorcycling is all about...
If they put electronic gizmo's on top of a marvel of engineering and craftsmanship, I'm happy... not if used as instrument for production cost savings, exclusively serving profit maximization...

And the human brain is lazy, quick on declining attention, happily falling for a deceptive false sense of security due gadgets...

Top Bottom