Motorized Headlight Adjuster Problem

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I just noticed my motorized headlight adjuster is working but not changing the angle of the headlights. I removed the dash and upper cowl. How do I remove the motor from the back of the headlight.

The service manual says to
- Turn the aiming motor counterclockwise
- Turn the adjusting bolt counterclockwise and remove the aiming motor from the headlight unit
- Remove the gasket
- Install in reverse order

I cannot and do not want to brake the back of the headlight unit..

It sounds simple but....

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
DAH:twist1::think1:

I got it. you turn the whole assemble counterclockwise, then turn the center bolt counterclockwise...

Just like the manual says..

OK here is my finding.

I connected the motor that changes the angle of the headlight to the back on the meter (speedometer cluster) and the motors goes in and out no problem. I done it several times with no problems. .

Attached is a picture of the end of the motor gear box. I turns the 10mm end nut counterclockwise to remove it from the headlight.
now what is the setup suppose to be for the install?

any answers??

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Done more searching and I think I have it solved...

Turn the height adj knob in the lowest position to cycle the motor to the lowest position
Install motor onto back of headlight, turning the motor only a few threads in, about 1/2 inch
Install upper cowl on bike, attach all wires
Turn key and see where the beams are shining---- if to low adj the back nut clockwise until desired height is met......

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well since you got it done I'll hijack just a bit.

I'm pretty sure my adjuster didn't used to move when the key is first turned on. It does now. Anyone else had this? Lots of miles on the unit (180,000).

Not a problem yet but might be a sign I fear.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Well since you got it done I'll hijack just a bit.

I'm pretty sure my adjuster didn't used to move when the key is first turned on. It does now. Anyone else had this? Lots of miles on the unit (180,000).

Not a problem yet but might be a sign I fear.
It might just be a matter of the contacts on the headlight adjuster switch getting a layer of oxidation. With the bike off, try exercising the switch back and forth multiple times (to wipe the contacts).

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

Mine does the same thing... makes motor noise for < 1 second. Prob as mentioned either dirty pot or limit contact switches.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Finished. Just went for a drive after darkness. I needed a small adj upward. Now the lights go up and down...

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Nice I have to look at my grey bike.
I hear it ,butt it does not move.
Well good luck. The tricky part is removing the motor from the lights.. I didn't find anything wrong or out of place, but I fixed it.. go figure.

First get someone to hold a 4-5 foot cardboard 10 feet in front of the bike after dark. Then you work the up and down knob to see if it moves..

Have fun.. be careful of mixing the rivets, bolts.

Top Bottom