Balance Shaft adjusters seized?

Hi All

I have a 2003 st1300 that has a slight rattle from the engine while moving off or while accelerating under load. I assumed this may be the Balance shafts, as the bike has 60000 miles. I tried to follow the instruction posted on the forums here, but after loosening the pinch bolts the shaft does not move either clockwise or anti-clockwise even when considerable turning force is applied. I thought the adjuster itself was seized onto the shaft, but I removed the upper bolt on the adjuster and it rotates freely on the shaft.......both upper and lower adjusters are like this. I have read elsewhere on the site, there should be 90 degrees or so of adjustment.....mine won,t move at all. I tried adjustment with engine cold and warm, stopped and running.....is it possible for these shafts to seize ? Any help or remedy would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

John

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I did the same procedure on my '04 model earlier this summer and found the same thing, seized solid. I used penetrating oil and tapped with an impact screwdriver to loosen them up. In my case the adjustment made no difference. Good luck with yours.

OP
OP
Hi
Thanks for the reply.......funny I was thinking an impact driver might help, but was afraid I night break something. Just might give it a go !

John

Byron

STOC #
Be advised that according to Honda these only need to be set upon initial engine build or reassembly. There is no service interval once set.

Top Bottom