Oil Leak, Water pump leak, Blown rear shock seal...A sad time for STay froSTy

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I returned from a ~ 5000 mile trip up the PCH and my bike has suffered greatly. I am surprised a 2001 with 118k has so many issues.
I will say it....my ST is unreliable! :(

It appears the water pump is leaking coolant at the kickstand side near the weep hole. So the water pump is in question. Alot of work to get to that o-ring.

The big issue is an oil leak on the drive shaft. I am almost totally convinced that engine oil is coming from the output shaft and out from under the shaft boot. Most of the muck and grease is on that side. There is no oil on the top part of the engine in that region. I have a feeling that the output shaft itself will be worn. :(
With these costly issues, my ST does not have a good future.

I have looked for a swing-arm tool kit on ST Riders but could not find one.

Is there a tool kit for the swing-arm available?
If not, would someone be so kind to lend or rent out their swing-arm wrench.;)

From my understanding, if the output shaft seal is leaking then I will have to replace the entire transmission cover which has a new seal in place. I could not find this seal on servicehonda fisch nor could my LBS. If the seal is bad then the output shaft could be worn, so this could get very expensive. More expense than the bike is worth.

Sad days for STay froSTy

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Sounds like more than first thought. I say we go back to WA and look at that black 09 w 30 k on it Sounds like her glory days have passed, hard to let go of an old friend.

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Sounds like more than first thought. I say we go back to WA and look at that black 09 w 30 k on it�� Sounds like her glory days have passed, hard to let go of an old friend.
Hey, John! I think you might be right....the glory days have passed. I just want to verify with some diagnostic teardown. Already looking at the "Adventure" bikes on the market.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Michael. Sorry to hear your ST1100 is showing its age and mileage. Unfortunately, unless Jim V has come up with an outfit that can indeed repair a water pump, you're looking at having to replace it. If you haven't replaced the timing belt now would be the time to do both. BTDT just recently at 180K.

I know of one STrider that replaced the trannie output shaft seal without removing the cover. He used a slide-puller with a screw tip. The seal is available. IINM, it's this one on the Rear Case fiche:
91201-MT3-003 OIL SEAL (28X42X7).

I have a left swingarm pivot bolt lockring tool to loan. It's from the backup alt upgrade tool kit. Email me per the info at Riders.

Unfortunate problems but not unusual. Fixable. Then good for another 100K.

John

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Hey, John! I think you might be right....the glory days have passed. I just want to verify with some diagnostic teardown. Already looking at the "Adventure" bikes on the market.
I am jealous already, adventure bike is in the bucket list. One day....sigh

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
John,
Sometime I really want to meet you and say THANKS for all the advice and help you've given over these years.....

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Stay Frosty,
Sorry to hear the news.. IF you should decide to sell it please let me know I could use a parts bike, for when my 02 with 150K starts messing up.
Have you looked at the fjr1300's?

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Stay Frosty,
Sorry to hear the news.. IF you should decide to sell it please let me know I could use a parts bike, for when my 02 with 150K starts messing up.
Have you looked at the fjr1300's?
I will keep you in mind when the final decision is made. The FJR is cool looking, but I want alittle more off road capability.

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I have replaced the output shaft seal....the somewhat easy way.

Swingarm off and can just make out the oil leak.

Pretty gummed up with oil.

Dirt, debris and small amount of water was in the swing arm shaft.

Shaft head with some rust, but not to bad of shape.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Maybe you should have left the seal leaking as it looks like it was lubing the U-Joint. How is your U-Joint by the way? Are you going to replace it while you are in there?

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #

Circlip out and seal is exposed.

Tapped seal with small drill bit and placed two screws. Seal came out with a small amount of effort.

1 inch pvc coupler and new seal in place.

So far after 100 miles there is no sign of a leak. I would like to thank John Oosterhuis for the method to remove the old seal and his loaner swing arm tool.

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
+1 - The Dutchman told me they can rebuild a ST1100 water pump for about $100.

Nice job replacing that seal !!
I had spoken with the Dutchman and they quoted me $225 or about the cost of a new one from Ron Ayers or Service honda. It's the specific bearing in the pump they have to order it from Japan.

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Maybe you should have left the seal leaking as it looks like it was lubing the U-Joint. How is your U-Joint by the way? Are you going to replace it while you are in there?
No to replacement of the u-joint. Had some surface rust bit seems to be alright. Really don't want to put to much $ into her.

OP
OP
STay froSTy
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
The water pump will wait until the winter. I ordered just the oring for the pump, but have decided to replace the thing. Too much work to gey to it.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Good job on the seal R&R, Michael. As to the water pump, have you confirmed that it is in fact the source of the coolant leak?? There have been a few reported coolant leaks at the Bypass Hose/Water Pipe connection. What is your rate of coolant loss? I've never heard of a failure of the big water pump o-ring. A new-stock pump comes with the o-ring installed.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom