Have You had Mononucleosis?

Bike
VFR800
A few days ago, I woke up with a very sharp pain in my throat. I could hardly breathe. I went to the hospital and was given a steroid shot. They also took my blood for sampling. Ever since Friday, I've been sleeping 14-19 hours a day and my entire body is weak. I tried driving to work today, but lost grip of the steering wheel in the neighborhood. I turned around and called in. My lymph nodes in my throat feel like they're going to pop out, I have had the worst headaches I can ever recall yesterday. It's very hard to focus. I went back to the doctor today with the dreaded, "you have mono" spill. I talked to my employer and I am going to take it day to day, but I may take up to a month off. Apparently, the doctor said some people have been out as much as 10 weeks.

With that being said, no bike riding for me until further notice and lots of couch time. Has anyone else had mono? What were your symptoms? How long were you down for?

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
That just sucks Corry. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
I've never had it. Don't sound like much fun at all.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Cory,
How old are you? I thought this was something only young people get - as in college kids. Anyway, I had it when I was 19 (decades ago). It lasted 6 to 8 weeks over the summer 'vacation' and I was still recovering when I went back to school in September. Symptoms for me were cold like, though mild, and extreme tiredness. A LOT of couch time and sleeping. Pretty much eat and sleep, eat and sleep. It seemed like it took forever for me to get my energy back once I was back in school.

As i recall, no real treatment (aspirin is all I took back then) except rest rest and more rest. I was able to 'work' (school work, walk to class, etc) after about 6 weeks but I remember feeling very weak. And I used the illness as an excuse to get out of a previous one week commitment when school started.

Bottom line is everybody is different. How long I was down will have no bearing on how long you can expect to be ill. Talk to your doc or research on the web. There is a bell curve for just about everything that will give you rough percentages and how long people have symptoms. After it is over, you can point to the curve and say - 'That's where i was'.

Good luck!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Yup, I had Mono combined with a staph infection way back in 1977, in my Junior year in college. I don't remember quite how long I was out - a month or month and a half??? Ended up taking some in-completes that semester, although I managed to get through maybe half my classes. (I got back just in time to take some finals.) I just stayed home - woke up enough to eat Mom's soup once in a while, drag myself to the bathroom, sleep, and gargle with some sort of numbing mouthwash to make my sore throat tolerable (cepastat?). Lost about 30 pounds - last time I ever saw 170. :D

Took a few months to get back to normal again after I finally kicked it.

Good luck - you'll get through it!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
1992. Six weeks. Haven't been the same since.

If you end up on oral steroids, continue behaving like you're sick, because they're going to make you feel like a million bucks.

--Mark

OP
OP
velocityflier16
Bike
VFR800
Cory,
How old are you? I thought this was something only young people get - as in college kids. Anyway, I had it when I was 19 (decades ago). It lasted 6 to 8 weeks over the summer 'vacation'
I just turned 28. The doctor said there was a small chance, but like you said generally it's adolescents that get it. I have been reading that some adults have got it too and have permanent nerve damage. Biggest thing I worry about is the enlarged spleen. I would hate to have that rupture.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Had it as a teenager 35 years ago. Took about three weeks to pass IIRC and I was wiped out and miserable most of that time. Grew the beard I still wear today.Hope you recover quickly and fully.

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
My oldest son, 41, had it a while back. He said it was no picnic. Finally got over it was said he was weak to whole time.
Cory, wish you luck in beating this and hope to see you again at RanchSTOC?

OP
OP
velocityflier16
Bike
VFR800
Thanks Gary. I appreciate it. As of now, I should be there. I sold the ST and got a 04 interceptor. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Last edited:
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Aw man, that bites, Cory. I've never had it, but I know several people who have (and yes, mostly back in high school/college). No picnic indeed.
Good thoughts to you for the quickest possible recovery!!

Patty

OP
OP
velocityflier16
Bike
VFR800
Just a quick update for everyone. I ended up developing a very bad infection while being sick. I finally hopped on the bike for the first time about a week ago. I'm off all medication as of today and feeling a lot better. Thanks again for all the kind words!

Top Bottom