First full year with the ST........

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Folks
So the first year of ST ownership has come and gone, thought id share a few thoughts on the bike etc....Ive ridden 13.5k(UK miles) most of these on the commute to work.

Good points first.......mpg, very good at filtering through traffic, smooth engine, good size panniers, no chain to replace, easy to work on.

Bad points............ The seat is not as good as it looks!, bit of a sail in windy conditions, gray plastic a bit naff.

Ive done all the servicing and repairs myself which is one of the things I like about the bike, only problems have been a seized shocker bolt and some corrosion that ive sorted out.

Still to do jobs are change the front springs and service the forks, check the valve clearances again.

Im very happy with the bike overall, it suits me well and I see me having it for a good length of time, don't get me wrong its not perfect but then neither am I!!:).

Im a convert to all things ST!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Chris

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Replace the saddle with a custom saddle, it makes a world of difference.

Replace the saddle with a custom saddle, it makes a world of difference.
What is the recommended replacement saddle?

This comes from a guy who had a couple Honda V4's from the 80's, haven't ridden since '94, and is looking to buy an ST after the first of the year.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...bit of a sail in windy conditions...
Ease the grip on the handlebar and let the bike perform its own "auto lean" while on the move... works amazingly ;-)
...gray plastic a bit naff...
A victim of UV-radiation and (acid) rain... especially if parked outside year round...
A pretty good treatment: Spray Cleaner & Polish http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/ avail through various channels like Amazon, eBay or well sorted motorcycle stores.

Apply a good whiff over the entire surface, let it soak for a couple of minutes, then rub it in with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth.
While at it you can polish it into any other parts/areas, paint, aluminium, the polycarbonate windscreen, etc...

As for a bespoke seat you might give those guys a try: http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/page6.html

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What is the recommended replacement saddle?

This comes from a guy who had a couple Honda V4's from the 80's, haven't ridden since '94, and is looking to buy an ST after the first of the year.
There are several options and it will depend on how you plan on riding. Search the forum and you'll plenty of threads on saddles and what others like.

My top pick is the RDL (Russell Day Long) Saddle, and most expensive. But if you plan on doing any long trips, it's really the best way to go.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
My dilemma with the seat is if I buy a custom made item im probably going to spend about ?300, now thre is nothing to say that the new seat will work out ok, so another option would be the airhawk seat system, they do a single seat option for about ?85, now I don't need to use this everyday as my commute is only 55 miles, but for the few times a year that I go on tour then this may be an option.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Yeah im nervous about a custom seat as its a lot of money, and ive just spent a fair bit on the new rear shock!!, so I would probably look at an airhawk, I have a little cheapo air cushion that I used on one tour a few years but it doesn't have any tie down straps so was a pain to use but it did work quite well.

I have also used gel pads, but preferred the air pad for comfort.

Im not in any hurry to buy so might wait and see what Christmas brings.

Chris

Top Bottom