Looking at a '11 KLR 650

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Okay, I've been wanting another endure for many years and have come across a '11 going for $4500. Edit: 2500 miles on it and I don't think other farkles other than soft bags soft trunk and soft tank bag.

The KLR has been on the top of my list as I have always heard pretty good things... until I started reading forum threads, underpowered, change this add this do this and this and this and whatnot... then you will have an okay bike.

I don't want to have to do thousands of dollars of "do these things" in order to have a play bike in the garage.

It would be a #3 in the garage and I'm guessing between the ST and the 919 it's not going to be on the road every day or maybe even every week.

When I get on it I want it to run and have enough power to lift the front wheel when I want it to.

Am I just dreaming here?

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I put 18+K miles on my '08 including a 12+K trip to Alaska and back to Ohio on mine before I sold it and loved every mile. I scraped a peg on one of the curves at the Gap also, so it can get with in the twisties as well. ( Not as well as the 919)That's not a bad price for one with that low miles and bags.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
We have a pair of '09 KLRs, they're our only bikes. What do you want to do with this third bike?
To be honest this isn't a "need" and it would do some commuting duties along with some general need to get out of the house or take the long way home type of rides, which would all be on the road.
As it is an dual sport I would like to get to some places that the ST or 919 wouldn't go (or at least shouldn't) so that might be gravel, dirt, sand roads or trails.

The overnight or weekend motorcycle camping is also a possibility.

I live on the east coast, literally a mile from the Chesapeake Bay, the off road possibilities are pretty limited, or at least I'm not aware of them anywhere close to me.

When I was growing up I always had an dual sport or dirt bike, maybe wanting one has been just to capture some of that. Go out and mess around on it, ride some wheelies, ripe up the grass in the front yard, ride over the curb when I'm parked in, ride some wheelies.

Did I say ride some wheelies? that too.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have an '09, purchased new in '10. I paid less new than they're asking for the used bike. I'd keep looking, bearing in mind that the new models have a better seat and suspension. The current generation ('08 to present) are better on-road, but don't give up much in the off-road department.

You can ride it just as it is, or do endless modifications. Mine currently has a lowered front fender mounted on a fork brace, and runs on Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires. I've also added a Sargent seat and a Zero Gravity sport touring windshield. I'm not a dirt rider, and I live in Kansas; consequently I ride it on road exclusively. The bike runs and handles well as it comes, but can run and handle better if you want to modify it to your tastes (just like the ST and every other bike in the world...) I'll be doing some other modifications, but they're not mandatory.

If you want a street legal off road bike, look at the DRZ400S. No good at highway speeds, but much better than the KLR off road. I had one, but sold it after I got the KLR.

The KLR is a great all-around bike, and it's fun to ride. I just got back from Arkansas, where I rode the twisties on mine for a couple of days. It usually does rides around town, short day trips, or rides in the back of the truck when my wife and the dog come along and I still want a bike to ride. I wish it had twenty more horsepower, but it is what it is: a simple, 1980's tech, easy to ride, easy to fix single. If you just have one bike, and cost is a concern, it's a good choice. If you have others, it's still a good addition to the garage.

Bike
2006 ST
I put about 32000 on my 07, much fun, great ergonomice ( for me) easy to work on, dismal milage and most consume oil at speed. Stock shock needs work. I rode that for about 3 1/2 years, and yearned for more power ( passing is tough solo with camping gear/stuff for a few days). Switched to a 650 Strom, wished I'd done it sooner, feels/handles about the same with about double the H P, a real blast to wring out, loves to rev.
Both were great complements with the ST, both are great hot weather bikes. My KLR fan was almost always cycling crawling on fire roads, common, the DL fan rarely cycles at all.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Don't get oversold on the KLR without looking at a Suzuki DR 650. Generally considered better built with more power, and no doohickey to fix! Have you read about either on advrider?
Either way, it will be lots of fun and now is the time to buy!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
In 2013 I bought a 2011 KLR 650, 2,500 miles, with bags, racks, crash bars, skid plate, Sargent seat and throttle lock plus all original parts. $3000.
All I have done to it is the Doo, which is easy and cheap, and heated grips. I have the tools for the Doo if you need to borrow for postage. PM me.

The KLR is a great, simple, lightweight, inexpensive all around bike. I love mine. What I like most is that you are not confined to pavement and you can explore on it.

More than you ever wanted to know about them:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've owned nine different KLR650s since 1991 and currently ride a 2015. They are reliable and a lot of fun if you replace the doohickey/spring, watch the oil level always (especially on 08-09 bikes), shim the valve clearances around 5000-6000 miles, and insulate possible wire harness rub spots when you have the tank/front fairing off for maintenance. My 2008 KLR is the only one to strand me temporarily (on the Trans Labrador Highway in the middle of BFE) with a wiring harness rub through short.

I would probably have owned a DR650 at one point, but they are physically smaller than the KLR and don't fit me as good. On most days, I would rather ride the KLR than my Super Tenere.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The KLR in stock form is fine for off road exploring at a leisurely pace. Lofting the front wheel - not so much unless from a start or really low speed. Price seems high with no farkles.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Don't get oversold on the KLR without looking at a Suzuki DR 650. Generally considered better built with more power, and no doohickey to fix! Have you read about either on advrider?
Either way, it will be lots of fun and now is the time to buy!
I have been on advrider doing some reading. Just like any great web site (like this one) tones of info that can get overwhelming. I'm not "sold" on the KLR and to be honest the more I read the less I want it. Don't get me wrong, I still think they are great all around bikes but the Doo and the oil consumption along with a few other common items isn't giving me that warm fuzzy feeling.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I'm not too pleased with the price after doing some research. I will most likely still look at it and if the maintenance record isn't available that might make up my mind to walk away without further inspection.

And of course that price tag isn't going to work so that will need to change.

Heck, it might not even be there when I go back so... I won't be heart broken. There was a pretty good looking BMW G650GS that I might take a look at but that price tag was around 5k if I remember right.

Thanks to all for the information and your opinions. I appreciate it.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having owned a KLR, I would never buy one again. It was the most underperforming bike in all aspects that I have even owned. It even sounds like a garden tiller.Take a hard look at the DR650, although, I bought an 11 DRZ and added a larger tank and better seat. I love this bike!
I owned a DRZ400S for 5 years that was set up as a true dual sport bike with larger tank, skid plate, suspension, etc. and the only downside is the close ratio gearbox.

Top Bottom