Good bye old friend.

OP
OP
gregj
Bike
07 ST1300A
Update: I dont get insurance companies. It appears Progressive bases the bike's value on NADA. This is also what drives the premiums. However, NADA does not take into account mileage when determining a bike's worth. Even though my ST has 151K, Progressive still values it at $7535. Progressive will total a bike when the damage is roughly 50% of the (NADA) value. The salvage value is also roughly taken into consideration. This means they currently plan on approving over $3K worth of parts and work on a bike that in the real world, probably is not worth more than $4K. Seriously?? :mad:

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Update: I dont get insurance companies. It appears Progressive bases the bike's value on NADA. This is also what drives the premiums. However, NADA does not take into account mileage when determining a bike's worth. Even though my ST has 151K, Progressive still values it at $7535. Progressive will total a bike when the damage is roughly 50% of the (NADA) value. The salvage value is also roughly taken into consideration. This means they currently plan on approving over $3K worth of parts and work on a bike that in the real world, probably is not worth more than $4K. Seriously?? :mad:
PERFECT!!! You get $3k cash in hand and a wrecked motorcycle without a salvage title! You don't have to fix the bike, so pocket the money and sell the bike wrecked with a clean title!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I had my accident back in 2008, I had Progressive and I was hit by someone else. Progressive decided they wanted to paint oneside of the fairings and replace the otherside! I told the bike shop to not cash the check. I checked with the other insurance company and they were more than happy to work with me. Progressive also told me if I claimed my gear, they would have to total my bike! Huh? I fired Progressive after that. I now have GEICO, so far so good. I even backed my bike into my son's truck, causing over $2,100 and they covered it just fine!

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
You sound disappointed. I'd have been delighted; usually insurance companies are all too quick to total a vehicle. My daily driver has been "constructively totaled" and most people can't tell that it was ever hit. Standard procedure is to cut you a check that's not enough to fix it and not enough to replace it and then tell you to sue them if you don't like it. Methinks you've just got new bike fever and were hoping for a check to cover the down payment. In that case, sorry it didn't work out, but at least an ST stays on the road awhile longer.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
They may change their mind when they look at the availability of the plastic parts in the color of your bike. Are they actually available?

OP
OP
gregj
Bike
07 ST1300A
Contrary to what I was told initially, looks like they are going to fix it. Hopefully back on the road in 3 weeks. Which is just as well, wasn't real happy with any potential replacement.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Here I was hoping for a new thread with a new ST1300 Nakid in the making. All kidding aside I'm glad you are OK and it is all working out.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Sorry about your ST. If you go 151K with not incidents that's pretty good.
I'm guessing no injuries...that is amazing in it's self.
Good luck with repairs.

Top Bottom