Hate the way they twist this

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
The story is about a motorcycle injury caused by the driver of a pick up. All the other motorcycle accidents in this area and several around St. Thomas (about 40 miles south of here) where the result of errors by car drivers. The implication of the story is that motorcyclists are at fault by being reckless.

End of rant

Gerhard

exetertoday.ca said:
UPDATE: TRUCK DRIVER CHARGED AFTER CRASH EAST OF STRATFORD9/25/2015 7:33:19 AM

A 70 year-old man from Perth East is facing careless driving charges after a crash east of Stratford. According to police, the crash happened around 7:20 a.m. Thursday, on Perth Line 33 at Perth Road 111. Officers say a motorcyclist was waiting to turn left onto Perth Road 111 when a truck failed to stop for him. The 31-year-old motorcyclist suffered major, "life altering" injuries and was air-lifted to a London hospital. 70-year-old Wray George Wilhelm of the Township of Perth East has been charged with "careless driving", contrary to the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario. Meantime, OPP say they are concerned about a recent series of motorcycle collisions in the region that have caused serious injury or death. The provincial force says it has investigated three serious crashes involving motorcycles since Tuesday and in all three incidents, the riders suffered life-threatening injuries. In the past week, OPP officers have reported seeing motorcyclists driving in excess of 200 kilometres an hour, swerving in and out of traffic, and others travelling at high speed performing wheelies on 400-series highways. OPP figures show 29 people have been killed in collisions involving motorcycles so far this year while 32 people died during 2014.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Many years ago one of the questions on the Cali drivers test issued by the DMV was "you should pay extra attention for motorcyclists because" and one of the possible multiple choice answers was "because they are always riding too fast". And that was back in the UJM era before sportbikes even existed.

Bike
07 ST1300
The story is about a motorcycle injury caused by the driver of a pick up. All the other motorcycle accidents in this area and several around St. Thomas (about 40 miles south of here) where the result of errors by car drivers. The implication of the story is that motorcyclists are at fault by being reckless.

End of rant

Gerhard

You are exactly right. The media in this case painted a very wrong picture.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The media in general has become even more sloppy with the advent of the Internet in addition to base bias. Accuracy is the first casualty in the race to be first.

In this instance the story the focus is moved from the driver being charged to motorcyclists causing accidents. Meanwhile... The story seems factually correct but there are actually two stories. Making them into one is either sloppy journalism or the result of an agenda.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...either sloppy journalism or the result of an agenda.
Exactly the terminology I'd recently used while placing serious a complaint at the customer hotline of the local TV broadcast...

Having to read in their teletext news that "...the female motorcyclist failed to see the oncoming car making a left turn..." caused me to pop a fuse... :mad:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
End of rant
Gerhard

My feelings exactly. The actions of riders in situations unrelated to this injury is no more than slander journalism. Worded to catch the attention of the anti-motorcycle crowd. Is there a 'ban-the-murdercycle' movement in the UK still?

Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
"In the past week, OPP officers have reported seeing motorcyclists driving in excess of 200 kilometres an hour, swerving in and out of traffic,..."

I wonder if the police have seen any cars doing the same? Have they seen pickup trucks doing the same? Have any been painted red? How about silver? Have they arrested men for doing this? Have they arrested women for doing this? How about _____________ (fill in the blank for other unrelated descriptions). This is why I generally do not read the news-it wastes too many processing cycles.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
"In the past week, OPP officers have reported seeing motorcyclists driving in excess of 200 kilometres an hour, swerving in and out of traffic,..."

I wonder if the police have seen any cars doing the same? Have they seen pickup trucks doing the same? Have any been painted red? How about silver? Have they arrested men for doing this? Have they arrested women for doing this? How about _____________ (fill in the blank for other unrelated descriptions). This is why I generally do not read the news-it wastes too many processing cycles.
That's why I strongly dislike reporters 'editorializing' on the news. I'm a 'just the facts' type of news consumer who doesn't appreciate being spoon fed his opinion.....or being manipulated.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
There have been a couple of major accidents close by and in my opinion they were the fault of the motorcyclist traveling at a faster speed then conditions allowed . We have had quite a few accidents close by me and the police are stepping up enforcement for motorcycles big time . I agree in this case the biker was not at fault .

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is how it was reported for the online version of the Beacon Herald in Stratford.
"

Change text size for the story
Print

Report an error

BEACON HERALD STAFF
A 31-year-old male motorcyclist from Stratford was airlifted with major injuries from the scene of a two-vehicle collision on Perth Line 33 Thursday morning.
Perth County OPP said the motorcyclist was stopped in the eastbound lane of Line 33, waiting to turn left into the northbound lane of Perth Road 111, when an eastbound GMC pickup truck collided with the motorcycle from behind.
The impact sent the motorcyclist and his Yamaha motorcycle onto the ground in the northeast corner of the intersection.
The pickup came to a stop on the south shoulder of Line 33 with minor damage to its front end.
The 70-year-old male driver of the GMC was uninjured.
The intersection remains closed while OPP West Region Technical Traffic Investigation unit completes its work.
Motorists are asked to find alternate routes. Roads in the area of the crash are expected to remain closed until mid-afternoon Thursday.
Anyone who witnessed the collision or saw either vehicle before the mishap is asked to contact Perth County OPP at 1-888-310-1122 and speak with investigating officer Const. Matt Robotham."
In the actual paper there is reference to the other accident but nothing about the speed demons on the 401.
Sad day for all concerned.
Ride safely my friends

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
On the other hand, I was in London a few weeks ago when a bike/pick up crash occurred, with deadly consequences. You Ontario guys may have heard about it. In this case, both truck driver and motorcyclist were at fault IMO.

From the news story I heard, two crotch rockets were travelling south out of London, towards St Thomas, at about 10:00 pm, so it was dark. At an uncontrolled intersection, the truck driver pulled out onto the highway, apparently not seeing, or maybe misjudging the speed of the two bikes. The lead rider was able to swerve around the truck, but the second rider had no chance. He also had a woman passenger. The bikes were apparently travelling at a great rate of speed, because, following the collision, three people were dead. The bike was found completely buried inside the cab of the truck, with its rider and part of his passenger as well. The truck driver was instantly killed by the bike coming into the truck. The female passenger, as most crotch rocket passengers do, was sitting more upright than the rider and she was decapitated and lost an arm as well, when she entered the truck.

The telling bit of this story is the apparent speed of the motorcycle, for the pick up truck was rolled onto its side by the impact! The truck driver was certainly mainly at fault here, but if those crotch rocket riders had been doing a "normal" speed, especially at night, there may have been a far better outcome for all. So, while the press may seem to err on the side against the motorcyclist occasionally, often riders could do a lot more to ensure their own safety too.

Bike
07 ST1300
On the other hand, I was in London a few weeks ago when a bike/pick up crash occurred, with deadly consequences. You Ontario guys may have heard about it. In this case, both truck driver and motorcyclist were at fault IMO.

From the news story I heard, two crotch rockets were travelling south out of London, towards St Thomas, at about 10:00 pm, so it was dark. At an uncontrolled intersection, the truck driver pulled out onto the highway, apparently not seeing, or maybe misjudging the speed of the two bikes. The lead rider was able to swerve around the truck, but the second rider had no chance. He also had a woman passenger. The bikes were apparently travelling at a great rate of speed, because, following the collision, three people were dead. The bike was found completely buried inside the cab of the truck, with its rider and part of his passenger as well. The truck driver was instantly killed by the bike coming into the truck. The female passenger, as most crotch rocket passengers do, was sitting more upright than the rider and she was decapitated and lost an arm as well, when she entered the truck.

The telling bit of this story is the apparent speed of the motorcycle, for the pick up truck was rolled onto its side by the impact! The truck driver was certainly mainly at fault here, but if those crotch rocket riders had been doing a "normal" speed, especially at night, there may have been a far better outcome for all. So, while the press may seem to err on the side against the motorcyclist occasionally, often riders could do a lot more to ensure their own safety too.
my god rest easy riders. Kids need to slow down.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Just heard of another bad accident here in ST Thomas ,no details of the cause yet but rider was injured and is in serious condition.

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
Around here we see a lot of bikes ran over from behind. We also have a lot of left turns in front of bikes. During Snowbird season it increases
considerably. But they are not responsible by themselves. We seem to have as many accidents due to being distracted, by phone, or some other reason. We have our share of Squids on sport bikes too, like the ones that passed me on the interstate. I was on the ST, and doing 75, in 70 mph zone, when I looked back to see 2 riders doing wheelies as they passed me doing 80-90. They had on Shorts, Flip-flops, and Helmets, nothing else. Guess they wanted to be a Pretty Corpse. Or wanted Mother to be able to Identify the Body easier.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have seen two bike fatalities. Not pretty sights. Both were the result of really excessive speed relative to traffic speed.
Gotta leave yourself adequate response time and space....otherwise you're going to skin up perfectly nice bike.

Bike
R1200rt
OPP officers have reported seeing motorcyclists driving in excess of 200 kilometres an hour, swerving in and out of traffic, and others travelling at high speed performing wheelies on 400-series highways. OPP figures show 29 people have been killed in collisions involving motorcycles so far this year while 32 people died during 2014. I guess the opp officers, from what they are telling us, is that they are not doing their job,,, fire them!!! I sure there are many who would do their job !!

OP
OP
Gerhard

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
40 Dead In Transport Truck Rollover and another misleading headline, I am glad that the thoughts that first popped in my head are not true, rather forty cattle won't make it to the dinner table but will be consumed by our pets instead.

Gerhard

Top Bottom