S 1000 XR Anyone?

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
This looks interesting, a big bore adventure styled bike with the in-line 4 instead of the boxer engine.

It looks like it's an alternative to the Multistrada since it puts out 160 hp and weighs 500 lbs.

It starts at $16,350 and goes up from there.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
It is a beast but a too biz buzzy around 70mph for me. Perhaps handlebar weights would've fixed it.

It was a toss up on whether I bought the XR or the GT. I went back to the GT. S1000XR, fully loaded with bags and bars puts it around $20K.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
It is a beast but a too biz buzzy around 70mph for me. Perhaps handlebar weights would've fixed it.

It was a toss up on whether I bought the XR or the GT. I went back to the GT. Fully loaded with bags and bars puts it around $20K.
GT what JoeP?

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Looking at both at my local dealer, I would buy the Ducati. Hard to believe, but the fit and finish is so much better to me. The Multistrada has set the bar high.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Ah. What year do you have? I was intrigued by them, but they seemed to have as many issues as my Triumph did and I wasn't up for another first model year experience. I've heard that they've worked out most of the bugs now.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Another bike with a seat height so high that I get altitude sickness just throwing a leg over it.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
They had a demo at a rally I was at last weekend. The long legged guys who rode it said it is wicked fast. The optional bags/mounts are cubic dollars.
The R1200RS is more my style, but I am going to wait till the bugs are worked out of the first year model till I think about getting one. The old ST is still doing just fine.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The R1200RS is more my style, but I am going to wait till the bugs are worked out of the first year model till I think about getting one. The old ST is still doing just fine.
I spend about an hour riding an RS along curvy rural roads in Connecticut. Nice ride. Very different than an ST: a lot lighter, narrower, faster, more tossable, way less weather protection, lots of BMW eletronic goodies. Different animal. I've had an liquid cooled RT almost a year now (after 12 years on an ST1300) and it's a much closer bike-to-bike comparison to the ST. Just don't ride an RT...then you'll NEED one.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
... Just don't ride an RT...then you'll NEED one.
Friend at work has a half-dozen various bikes and spends time at dealers kicking tires. A few weeks ago, the BMW dealer tossed him the keys to a 2014 blue RT to ride 'just because'. He bought the bike after the test ride.
:doh1:

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Ah. What year do you have? I was intrigued by them, but they seemed to have as many issues as my Triumph did and I wasn't up for another first model year experience. I've heard that they've worked out most of the bugs now.
I had a 2012 with all the issues. It got run over and is now replaced by the 2015. Not a single issue with it so far. I've done 8k miles since the end of April and it is going strong.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I spend about an hour riding an RS along curvy rural roads in Connecticut. Nice ride. Very different than an ST: a lot lighter, narrower, faster, more tossable, way less weather protection, lots of BMW eletronic goodies. Different animal. I've had an liquid cooled RT almost a year now (after 12 years on an ST1300) and it's a much closer bike-to-bike comparison to the ST. Just don't ride an RT...then you'll NEED one.
I had a 2002 VFR 800a for 12 years, and loved it for about 70k miles. The ergos and power output of the RS seem like a close match but in a lighter more modern package. I am always a little tense about buying a first year new model, especially from BMW. Already I hear the instrument panel on the RS is hard to read. Gonna wait and let them get it right.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I'm waiting for surgical leg extensions.
I guess that is one of the most popular elective surgeries in China, apparently tall people have greater earning potential in China.

Gerhard

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Another bike with a seat height so high that I get altitude sickness just throwing a leg over it.
What's funny: this is the most intriguing aspect of the motorcycle for me. I have a 34" inseam, and the ST1300 feels like I'm squatting inside of a box all day. My knees HATE the ST1300, but the rest of my body is good with it.

I can flat-foot when seated on the 'XR though.

Bones: Pie makes the legs grow.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Look at me for evidence that this is not universally true. (There's pumpkin pie in the fridge right now for further evidence!)
Works for me, bro. Not sure what kind of pumpkins you have out East, but here in the midwest.... they're huge.

Top Bottom