S 1000 XR Anyone?

Ah. What year do you have? I was intrigued by them, but they seemed to have as many issues as my Triumph did and I wasn't up for another first model year experience. I've heard that they've worked out most of the bugs now.
The problems with the K1600 are in the past. Don't believe half the krap about BMW problems. 5 years ago ok...now check them out. I rode the 1000XR for about an hour. Nice bike & stupid fast.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just a note on reliability issues, BMW in general.
Spoke recently to a guy with a two year old 1600 GT, he was chopping it in because of issues with suspension and steering. BMW were prepared to do the fix but he's fed up of being a development rider on a £22,000 motorcycle. Can't say I blame him!
It seems like reliability issues are alive and kicking.
Upt'North.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Just a note on reliability issues, BMW in general.
Spoke recently to a guy with a two year old 1600 GT, he was chopping it in because of issues with suspension and steering. BMW were prepared to do the fix but he's fed up of being a development rider on a £22,000 motorcycle. Can't say I blame him!
It seems like reliability issues are alive and kicking.
Upt'North.
I've often wondered if BMWs woes stem from riders believing them to be over-engineered and indestructible; accordingly driving them harder than other marques.

For instance, if I had a Ducati, I would be loathe to redline it or even take it over a speed-bump faster than 3mph for fear that my bike would disintegrate.

Any mechanical device will have limits.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've often wondered if BMWs woes stem from riders believing them to be over-engineered and indestructible; accordingly driving them harder than other marques.
Nope, back in the days when I had friends who rode them (K bikes) they were just lousy bikes with a high price tag. Never understood the appeal. Later versions didn't seem to get much better, with drivetrain failures being pretty common, so they never interested me. However, I did make the mistake of buying one of their 7-series automobiles, which was by far the worst car I've ever owned from a reliability perspective.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
The 2018 XR is a lot better vibe-wise. I've got Evotech bar ends on mine, and I can hardly feel any vibes at all.

This bike is insanely fast, with a 165 hp mill on the 2018 model. The technology that is put into this thing is nothing short of amazing. (ABS Pro, ASC, ATC, Dynamic suspension, to name a few) The power delivery is extremely smooth from the re-tuned RR super bike engine (more midrange torque).

Did I mention it is insanely fast?

TPadden

Tom Padden
......Don't believe half the krap about BMW problems.....
I've gotten so tired of seeing BMW's at Honda events (there are now 4 identical RS's in the group) that when anyone asks I tell them: "they are just lousy bikes with a high price tag". The only reason I own them is my dealer pays me to get them off his showroom floor. :rolleyes:

I can't even get my 15 year old oil head RS to break but everyone listen to me: BUY SOMETHING ELSE!

Tom

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I wonder if there will be more BMWs at ArkanSTOC than STs? Hmmmmmmm
Mike

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
As I have said before, I have 70K trouble free miles on my BMW 2015 K1600GTS and loved all of them.

The only problem with the bike is the engine just loves to eat rear tires!

Top Bottom