ST1300 versus FJR

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Last weekend my friend MikeP and I spent 4 days riding from Louisiana to southern Missouri and spent Friday night at the Hub during ArkanSToc. I want to say that Mike had ridden a 2004 ST1300 that he sold last year with 98,000 miles then purchasing a 2011 FJR with very low miles. We compared fuel mileage, performance and handling during our @1700 mile 4 days ride.
2007 ST1300 (45,000 miles)averaged 10-15% better fuel mpg at normal speeds than the 2011FJR with 17,000 miles, when the speeds jumped up to 80-100 mph the ST1300 shined @ 20-25% better mpg.
We found a flat straight road and agreed to throttle on full @ 50mph and let off before 100 mph. The ST1300 pulled ahead the FJR from 50 all the way through to 100 mph. Mike says the FJR handles similar to the ST but he felt the ST had an edge.
Folks----I don't get how so many people are ranting about the FJR being a sportier bike. The ST1300 definitely proved to both of us to be a superior bike. I would like to get a letter to Honda with as many signatures from as many riders here asking to PLEASE continue our amazing motorcycle in the USA, with only minor upgrades such as cruise control and LED lights. Perhaps someone with the right savy could design a letter for digital signatures from riders requesting this. Please no demanding a new BMW styled bike priced techno wiz bang monster, we only need what I mentioned for realistic expectations.
Thanks to all interested in this project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I forgot to mention my ST1300 has a highflow airfilter (paper---thanks IGOFAR) and staintune exhaust. MikeP's FJR is bone stock.

Bike
2k9 ST1300
Never tried any other sport touring bike but my and my riding buddy ride both a ST. His a 2006 police pack bought new in 2009 an mine a 2009 bought new in 2011. We total more than 255 000 km on the bikes.

The ST is such a reliable bike, giving real honest performance , maneuvrable and so easy to work on. In short, a really good bike for two up ridding.

Very happy owner

Bike
ST1300 2012
I have a 2005 ST1300 with handlebar risers, MCL highway pegs and a RDL seat. As I type this I cannot remember the exact mileage but it is under 20,000 miles. I recently bought a 2012 FJR1300A as a second bike that had a little over 13,000 miles on it. I put MCL highway pegs on it, the handlebar risers are on the shelf waiting to be installed .... And the stock seat is killing me! I need another RDL!
The FJR is a great bike and may be quite comfy once I get the RDL on it (and the stock headlights are MUCH better than the ST's) but if STs were a little more common at the dealers I would swap it out in a heartbeat! (Coin toss between getting the RDL for next season's riding or sell it and get another ST!)
There is just something soothing about hopping on the ST and going out for a cruise!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Last weekend my friend MikeP and I spent 4 days riding from Louisiana to southern Missouri and spent Friday night at the Hub during ArkanSToc. I want to say that Mike had ridden a 2004 ST1300 that he sold last year with 98,000 miles then purchasing a 2011 FJR with very low miles. We compared fuel mileage, performance and handling during our @1700 mile 4 days ride.
2007 ST1300 (45,000 miles)averaged 10-15% better fuel mpg at normal speeds than the 2011FJR with 17,000 miles, when the speeds jumped up to 80-100 mph the ST1300 shined @ 20-25% better mpg.
We found a flat straight road and agreed to throttle on full @ 50mph and let off before 100 mph. The ST1300 pulled away from 50 all the way through to 100 mph. Mike says the FJR handles similar to the ST but he felt the ST had an edge.
Folks----I don't get how so many people are ranting about the FJR being a sportier bike. The ST1300 definitely proved to both of us to be a superior bike. I would like to get a letter to Honda with as many signatures from as many riders here asking to PLEASE continue our amazing motorcycle in the USA, with only minor upgrades such as cruise control and LED lights. Perhaps someone with the right savy could design a letter for digital signatures from riders requesting this. Please no demanding a new BMW styled bike priced techno wiz bang monster, we only need what I mentioned for realistic expectations.
Thanks to all interested in this project.
Well, the FJR is lighter and has about 30 more hp so.........

!/4 mile for the FJR is under 11 and mid 11's for the ST.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Well, the FJR is lighter and has about 30 more hp so.........

!/4 mile for the FJR is under 11 and mid 11's for the ST.
the FJR has 30 more HP at the crank but due to its design with the crank rotating 90 degrees off the shaft drive it looses considerably more HP than the ST1300. The working HP that counts is at the wheel.
I am not lying when I say I pulled away from Mike's FJR not once but twice, this proven test speaks for itself.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
the FJR has 30 more HP at the crank but due to its design with the crank rotating 90 degrees off the shaft drive it looses considerably more HP than the ST1300. The working HP that counts is at the wheel.
I am not lying when I say I pulled away from Mike's FJR not once but twice, this proven test speaks for itself.
There are many dyno charts showing the FJR's 15 or so premium in horsepower at the rear wheel. Also many reviews of the FJR being about half a second quicker through the quarter mile. IIRC trap speeds about 113 vs 118 mph.

I think in a 5th gear roll-on you found the ST has a gearing advantage that allows a ST to hang with an FJR. If the pilots rowed the respective gearboxes the gearing advantage disappears as does the FJR :)

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
There are many dyno charts showing the FJR's 15 or so premium in horsepower at the rear wheel. Also many reviews of the FJR being about half a second quicker through the quarter mile. IIRC trap speeds about 113 vs 118 mph.

I think in a 5th gear roll-on you found the ST has a gearing advantage that allows a ST to hang with an FJR. If the pilots rowed the respective gearboxes the gearing advantage disappears as does the FJR :)
whatever the dynos and charts say-----didn't seem to matter that day. Neither of us dropped a gear and rode side by side when we both rolled on to full throttle, all I know is my ST1300 pulled away from the FJR the entire time---twice :D

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I think the point is that if both of you downshifted and got into the engine's power bands, the FJR would have pulled ahead by quite a bit. But neither bike is slow. :)

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
what about the ridiculously better gas mileage my ST1300 gets over Mike's FJR?? This pissed Mike off a lot.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I think the point is that if both of you downshifted and got into the engine's power bands, the FJR would have pulled ahead by quite a bit. But neither bike is slow. :)
But we didn't both downshift so what does that matter? My point here is a lot of people know the ST1300 is all around a better bike but pissed about the lack of change Honda refused to make recently---WHAAAH!!!! I am not giving up my ST.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Don't take it personal. No one is disagreeing, just making a point that there are other valid tests. ;)

The test you guys did is interesting--I've read the same point elsewhere here that the ST slightly outpulls an FJR on rollon (without downshift). But there are also valid situations where a downshift is good/common practice. If you get the chance, would love to hear the outcome of that.

The ST is a fantastic machine that is hard to improve upon... I enjoy mine every time I get to ride. :)

Edit: Agree with Jeff, cruise control would be nice! :yes:

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
But we didn't both downshift so what does that matter? My point here is a lot of people know the ST1300 is all around a better bike but pissed about the lack of change Honda refused to make recently---WHAAAH!!!! I am not giving up my ST.
Well, you obviously like the ST better so ride it and enjoy it, but the FJR will beat the ST in any objective performance category. It's simply a lighter, more powerful bike. It rev's considerably higher than the ST, which has a pretty low red line, and that is what caused the roll on result you experienced. Row the gear box and the ST is left behind. That characteristic makes the ST an excellent touring bike however.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
The test you guys did is interesting--I've read the same point elsewhere here that the ST slightly outpulls an FJR on rollon (without downshift). But there are also valid situations where a downshift is good/common practice. If you get the chance, would love to hear the outcome of that
point noted---I intend to do a downshift test next time if Mike is willing

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Well, you obviously like the ST better so ride it and enjoy it, but the FJR will beat the ST in any objective performance category
your baiting me right??? did you not read that My ST got 10-25% better gas mileage at every fill up??

Bike
2006 ST1300
Worse handling, performance and gas mileage than the ST???
Something is wrong with Mike's FJR.
I had an 2006 fjr for about three years. Multiple farkles ect. Recently purchased the st, maybe 700 miles so far. I can say with certainty that at 50mph or so and both bikes drop down to 3rd gear the fjr comes out ahead, period. The whole 5th gear roll on is ridiculous. Get the rpm's in the powerband and the fjr wins. However I will add that 1st gear no-clutch wheelies is significantly easier on th st. Gearing maybe? V-4 engine?
So far I've gotten about 42mpg on the st, on the fjr it was 44 in the summer, 42 in the winter (got about 50mpg on the st1100). As far as comfort they are both the same to me, even though the fjr has slightly more aggressive ergos. Not sure on wind protection yet, will find out this winter. St is a smoother machine for sure, not that the fjr isn't, just the st is smoother running. And i love the way the side bags are integrated into the bike, the fjr's seem like an afterthought. And yamaha solved the heat issue with thier 2cd gen, it's a shame honda didn't. The fjr also has lean surging issues cruising and needs a powercommander, at least the first two generations did. The st is fine out of the box, except fot the on-off throttle.

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
If Honda put a cruise on the ST. People will stop buying the wing. I recently took a trip from Lake Zurich,IL to Baltimore, MD, 770 miles each way and completed it in 12 hours At an indicated speed of 80, I was getting 40 mpg. I was using a throttle lock. The amazing torque band held the speed to within 5 mph in the curving and steep hills thru Pennsylvania. This bike has by far the best all around on road performance than anything in its class including the FJR, connie, BMW and trophy and ......

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Worse handling, performance and gas mileage than the ST???
Something is wrong with Mike's FJR.
Mike and I have a few other friends with new FJR's and my ST always get better fuel Mileage. Like I said, my bike has a Highflow paper air filter and Staintune exhaust. I also have a Hankook V12 rear with a BT45 front tire. I average @ 50 mpg at 70 mph (temps between 75-95F and windshield full down)

Last edited:
Top Bottom