ST1300 versus FJR

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I knew when I read the beginning of this post yesterday there would be a lot of controversy. But there are so many variables at play here. What we know is that both bike are good to great motorcycles and have a lot of great attributes. But there are things that influence simple things like fuel economy. Two riders riding the same bike will get different results. I have proven this with me and my wife. Regardless of the bike she always gets 5 mpg better. Why? Partly because of an 80 pound weight difference, and because my throttle control I like to twist the throttle maybe a little more than her.

Handling while both bike may be good the rider makes a world of difference. Do you really think you could ride Marc Marquez RC213 to it's potential? Absolutely not, in fact you may get off and say it is the worst handling motorcycle that you have ridden.

The point here is that the test that Jonjonboo and his friend did was just a simple test and he relayed comments back. Take it for what it is no more no less.

I know for me when I bought my 2008 ST1300 this spring one of the major factors for me was fuel economy. Over 86 fills I average 47.33 mpg with a high of 57.11 and a low of 36.19. I do not believe the MPG calculator on the bike, I log all fills in to a phone app. and track it religiously.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I do not believe the MPG calculator on the bike, I log all fills in to a phone app. and track it religiously.
all mpg comparison's were done with actual readings from fuel pumps and a phone calculator. These comparison's were actual mpg, neither of us at any time look at the screen's on our bike's. Mike and I both dog the hell out of our bike's on these rides---I perhaps a bit harder.
Just a note here: I have been riding motorcycles all over the world for 39 years, I am not a rookie at this. I am also a professional aviation mechanic and do all the work on my own bike's. I have no issue's with the FJR, I would own one if I thought it was superior to the ST. I do not want to see the Honda ST discontinued in the USA.

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . for what it's worth, I have some experience with both the ST and the MOD 3 FJR (came out in 2013) and the FJR in "Sport" mode nearly threw me off the back of the bike when I first switched out of "Touring" mode. I suspect if "the test" described in Post #1 were run with a Mod 3 FJR . . . there would be a dramatic result difference.

The major difference this points out between the Honda and the Yamaha comparison is that Yamaha continues to support the improvement of their model and is responsive to user input. Heated grips and a great cruise control also come stock with the FJR since 2013 and . . . it costs less (at least when I bought mine).

Gas mileage . . . so many variables, as already mentioned. My experience is that I'm getting 3-5 mpg better on the FJR . . . consistently. Perhaps that was another improvement that came with the Mod 3 design. Can't say.

The ST design favors touring over sport, while the FJR is the opposite. For touring, the ST has a better wind protected pocket for the rider than the FJR. For sport riding in the twisties, the FJR is lighter, quicker and more nimble and responsive. Let me also note that I'm not a good enough rider to ride either of these horses to anywhere near their potential.

Over 200k on three STs and am now up to 75k on my FJR . . . both are great bikes, each with advantages over the other and each with limitations not shared with the other.

Ride what you got, don't worry . . . be happy! :)

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
Jon I rode an FJR, a Concourse and my ST back to back WITH my pillion when bike shopping. The Connie was the quickest. The ST and FJR were a wash. Quite close really for me and the way I ride. The ST was SO well mannered and smooth it was a no brainer for me. Maybe the FJR does something better but I didn't see it. Seems to win all the ST shootouts. Connie handled so bad it wasn't considered.
Big inline 4's buzz. I hate buzz. My ST has big grunt. I like grunt! I went from a VFR to the ST. Natural progression. Inline 4's are for other people.
These seat of the pants impressions were all from one dealer and bikes if different years. The dealer has proven themselves to be VERY lax in bike prep so who knows what the tire pressures were. I know the ST was way off when I got it home. But impressions are just that and the ST impressed me the most.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I knew when I read the beginning of this post yesterday there would be a lot of controversy. But there are so many variables at play here. What we know is that both bike are good to great motorcycles and have a lot of great attributes. But there are things that influence simple things like fuel economy. Two riders riding the same bike will get different results. I have proven this with me and my wife. Regardless of the bike she always gets 5 mpg better. Why? Partly because of an 80 pound weight difference, and because my throttle control I like to twist the throttle maybe a little more than her.

Handling while both bike may be good the rider makes a world of difference. Do you really think you could ride Marc Marquez RC213 to it's potential? Absolutely not, in fact you may get off and say it is the worst handling motorcycle that you have ridden.

The point here is that the test that Jonjonboo and his friend did was just a simple test and he relayed comments back. Take it for what it is no more no less.

I know for me when I bought my 2008 ST1300 this spring one of the major factors for me was fuel economy. Over 86 fills I average 47.33 mpg with a high of 57.11 and a low of 36.19. I do not believe the MPG calculator on the bike, I log all fills in to a phone app. and track it religiously.
I resisted comment also, as the tests were rather unscientific. Having owned an ST13 and now an FJR, they are both good bikes and I wouldn't sway you from either one. It's just a matter of what suits the individual. Mileage..... regular vs. premium, even steven? I do have to comment on the power factor, not that both won't enjoy a spirited ride together and keep up with each other no problem, but in a drag race, the FJR will definitely win hands down. Spin it up to 6000 rpm and it will go, but we don't own these bikes to drag race.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
Up until recently I had a 2007 FJR1300 and a 2007 ST1300. I had the FJ in North Carolina and the ST in Florida. A few months back I sold the FJR and just recently brought the ST to North Carolina. For some reason which I could not explain, I found the ST1300 to be the bike I liked way more than the FJR. I just was never comfortable on the FJ and found my 79-year old body seemed to suffer from riding the FJR. With the ST I am having a wonderful time riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads around western North Carolina. I did like that the FJR had a gear indicator, instruments you could read in daylight, and a regular-fuel engine. But for control, comfort, and throttle response, the ST is the bike for me.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Just test rode a new '15 FJR 1300 last week from Stillwater Yamaha, and was very impressed with about a 18-20 mile trip.
But I was very surprised to find out (from the dealer) that the Bike weighs in at about 630 pounds. SO, it's not MUCH lighter than the ST13. I always thought that FJR was well under 600 lbs.
What are the correct numbers for the Weight of the FJR ?

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Well . . . for what it's worth, I have some experience with both the ST and the MOD 3 FJR (came out in 2013) and the FJR in "Sport" mode nearly threw me off the back of the bike when I first switched out of "Touring" mode. I suspect if "the test" described in Post #1 were run with a Mod 3 FJR . . . there would be a dramatic result difference.

The major difference this points out between the Honda and the Yamaha comparison is that Yamaha continues to support the improvement of their model and is responsive to user input. Heated grips and a great cruise control also come stock with the FJR since 2013 and . . . it costs less (at least when I bought mine).

Gas mileage . . . so many variables, as already mentioned. My experience is that I'm getting 3-5 mpg better on the FJR . . . consistently. Perhaps that was another improvement that came with the Mod 3 design. Can't say.

The ST design favors touring over sport, while the FJR is the opposite. For touring, the ST has a better wind protected pocket for the rider than the FJR. For sport riding in the twisties, the FJR is lighter, quicker and more nimble and responsive. Let me also note that I'm not a good enough rider to ride either of these horses to anywhere near their potential.

Over 300k on three STs and am now up to 75k on my FJR . . . both are great bikes, each with advantages over the other and each with limitations not shared with the other.

Ride what you got, don't worry . . . be happy! :)

Shuey
I am certain if anyone would have a good idea about comparing these bikes it would be you sir. The comparison we did our last 4 day ride was not a technical dyno wiz road report, just noting the basic differences between his 2011 (total stock) FJR and my 2007 ST1300 .
The main reason for posting this is to raise interest in riders that want Honda to keep selling the ST1300 in the USA, do you believe they should do slight upgrades and sell here again?

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
If Honda put a cruise on the ST. People will stop buying the wing.
EXACTLY - I have heard this from several dealers, and Reps. at Bike Shows. Honda will not do anything that would cut into the sales of their beloved GW. Cruise, and other stuff, on the ST13 , would do just that.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
EXACTLY - I have heard this from several dealers, and Reps. at Bike Shows. Honda will not do anything that would cut into the sales of their beloved GW. Cruise, and other stuff, on the ST13 , would do just that.
And I've always thought that point was odd (not addressing you ESB, but rather the point you bring up). Perhaps it would cut into sales of the GW, but so what... Honda would still have a bike to sell that interests riders. Instead, not offering cruise control (as an example) causes folks to look elsewhere when all competitor bikes offer cruise control (and more). In my opinion, not offering cruise control loses sales that Honda could be keeping.
:shrug1:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The main reason for posting this is to raise interest in riders that want Honda to keep selling the ST1300 in the USA, do you believe they should do slight upgrades and sell here again?
Absolutely . . . and an ST with heated grips and a good cruise, for a price comparable with an FJR, would be a definite buy for me. I really enjoyed my STs. But for now, for me, bike for the money . . . FJR is the better choice.

My comments were purely subjective also. One other point, the ST is a much better fit, even with adjustments and farkels, for a taller rider than is the FJR. IMO.

Shuey

Weight Notes:

ST1300 dry weight, standard/deluxe: 650 lbs / 659 lbs
Source: 2003-2009 Honda Service Manual
(what's the difference between standard and deluxe?)

FJR1300 curb weight: 637 lbs
Source: 2013 Yamaha Service Manual
(Does "curb weight" equal "wet weight"?)

FJR

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
(Does "curb weight" equal "wet weight"?)
Wikipedia - Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I think the new FJR is superior to the ST in most areas because its been updated while the ST is not, but I wouldn't buy one because of the ergonomics--too sporty for me . I wouldn't buy a new ST either, unless it was updated with the features every other bike has today. It looks like I won't have to worry about that for the foreseeable future though.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I don't buy a bike because of gas mileage, so that's not a performance category to me. BTW most people/road tests report about 40 mpg for both bikes and that's what I got with my ST.

look at this topic on Sport Touring

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=64890.0#.VgdeO8tViko
well your ST must have had issue's because mine consistently gets 46-50 mpg (sometimes 51) in the summer months. It gets @ 38-42 in the winter. If you don't think gas mileage is important then you are a rare type of rider and I find your attitude in this forum confrontational and annoying.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wikipedia - Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.
There is no standard definition for curb weight. It's just simple assumption the vehicle has all fluids and standard equipment to operate and move. A pint of gas allows this - a full tank of gas OTOH adds 40 or 50 lbs and some manufacturers do not include a full load of fuel, batteries, saddlebags, tool kits, etc.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I looked at both the ST and FJR when I bought my last bike. I wanted a bike I could use comfortably as a commuter, push through the twisties on the odd time I can get to some here in Alberta, and provide enough space for two-up touring. My wife and I do a multi-day tour a couple of times a year and the ST seemed better suited to that task. I've now had my ST for five years and have never regretted the choice (although I do wish it was a bit lighter when both of us, and all our gear, are navigating the motel parking lot :) )

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thanks Kevin, Steve and Dave for . . . your responsive answers to my questions.

I live and learn. :)

Shuey

Top Bottom