ST1300 versus FJR

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
IMHO, mileage depends on many factors as well as the bike itself. Everyone 'sits' a bike differently, has their own light or heavy touch on the throttle, etc. Wind resistance plays a major factor. I also have a Wee and consistently get mid 50's except for a trip home from NatSTOC one year when I ran across Nebraska on I-80 at, let's say, about 80 mph into a strong head wind. Mileage dropped to low 30's. Nothing wrong with the bike, just increased wind resistance. Running with a bigger screen, always having the screen in the high position, having a trunk, hauling an extra bag, etc. will all affect mileage.
Greg

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
well your ST must have had issue's because mine consistently gets 46-50 mpg (sometimes 51) in the summer months. It gets @ 38-42 in the winter. If you don't think gas mileage is important then you are a rare type of rider and I find your attitude in this forum confrontational and annoying.
I don't normally get the mileage others report on any bike. Lots of people on the Trophy forum get more than 50 mpg and I'm lucky to get 40. Some of that is where I ride, empty country with 75-80 mph speed limits. Riding faster uses more fuel. And you're right, I don't think about the cost of filling the bike, or the truck for that matter. It costs me about $100 to fill the truck with diesel so $15 for the bike is a drop in the bucket.

Annoying? I'm crushed! :eek:

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have ridden both extensively and own an ST1300.

The FJR I rode was a police model and while it was used for that purpose it did what was intended but I found two things I didn't like. (1) The inline 4 engine layout is not as smooth as the ST (2) The fairing and screen are quite flimsy. The fairing plastic seems thinner and the screen tends to flex more at speed compared with the ST. (3) Build quality on the ST is better.

Just my thoughts and I know there are a lot on here have converted to the FJR but as long as I can buy an ST1300 it will be my first and only choice. 2nd prize goes to the FJR and would be my choice if there were no ST1300's left on the planet.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Shuey - Standard ST has no ABS and no power windshield. Like on my 2003.
There was only one model of the ST that did not have the Power Windshield and that was the NON ABS 2003 model. Maybe the 2002 in Europe. ALL other ST1300's with or without ABS have the Power Windshield.

Last edited:

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
There's 31 flavors of Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins. So to each their own. Fact is the FJT is preferred by most who have ridden both. Personally my impressions on both bikes for about three hours at a time is that the FJR is quicker and more agile.... I can still make a case for my ST1100 being better than both the others but people would be quick to differ. Same here with what you are posting.. Ride what you have, If you like it that's all that matters..

But we didn't both downshift so what does that matter? My point here is a lot of people know the ST1300 is all around a better bike but pissed about the lack of change Honda refused to make recently---WHAAAH!!!! I am not giving up my ST.

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Seriously??? That's the reason Honda Hasn't put Cruise on the 1300???? nothing biased here?

If Honda put a cruise on the ST. People will stop buying the wing. I recently took a trip from Lake Zurich,IL to Baltimore, MD, 770 miles each way and completed it in 12 hours At an indicated speed of 80, I was getting 40 mpg. I was using a throttle lock. The amazing torque band held the speed to within 5 mph in the curving and steep hills thru Pennsylvania. This bike has by far the best all around on road performance than anything in its class including the FJR, connie, BMW and trophy and ......

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
I would put much more weight on Shuey's comments as he has had BOTH... Besides that , he's a friend of mine :)

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
There's 31 flavors of Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins. So to each their own. Fact is the FJT is preferred by most who have ridden both. Personally my impressions on both bikes for about three hours at a time is that the FJR is quicker and more agile.... I can still make a case for my ST1100 being better than both the others but people would be quick to differ. Same here with what you are posting.. Ride what you have, If you like it that's all that matters..
so you prefer the ST1100 and could care less if Honda discontinue's the ST. Is anyone getting the point I am trying to make in this thread? Sales of the ST died because most of the people on this forum for years have bragged about how awesome and dependable the Honda ST is (it last forever they say) so no point in buying a new one---BUY USED!
Most people listened to this advice and do indeed buy used resulting sales of the ST1300 basically died. So the same people yelling for an upgraded version of the ST1300 became angry at "Mother Honda" for not giving them what they wanted (in 2013) I read countless post here how they are abandoning Honda for this reason and going with the FJR. Of course now the FJR which I find to be lacking a "little bit" behind the ST as the best bike (I have my right to an opinion too).
Please have an open mind and think about my comment's here and why many on this forum may have killed the production of one of the best sport touring bikes in the history of motorcycles.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
so you prefer the ST1100 and could care less if Honda discontinue's the ST. Is anyone getting the point I am trying to make in this thread? Sales of the ST died because most of the people on this forum for years have bragged about how awesome and dependable the Honda ST is (it last forever they say) so no point in buying a new one---BUY USED!
Most people listened to this advice and do indeed buy used resulting sales of the ST1300 basically died. So the same people yelling for an upgraded version of the ST1300 became angry at "Mother Honda" for not giving them what they wanted (in 2013) I read countless post here how they are abandoning Honda for this reason and going with the FJR. Of course now the FJR which I find to be lacking a "little bit" behind the ST as the best bike (I have my right to an opinion too).
Please have an open mind and think about my comment's here and why many on this forum may have killed the production of one of the best sport touring bikes in the history of motorcycles.
You are absolutely right--it's all our fault that Honda dropped the ST from the lineup in 2013 because we bought them used (guilty as charged) and then sold them and moved on to something else because Honda refused to upgrade the now 12 year old design (guilty again). :nuts1:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
A few hundred people, mostly in the USA, caused Honda to stop production of the ST1300?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
You are absolutely right--it's all our fault that Honda dropped the ST from the lineup in 2013 because we bought them used (guilty as charged) .
It is called bang for your buck. $18,000 list for an under optioned bike compared to the FJR, which has been updated and cost less than the ST. Is it because we are buying used, NO, it is because there is no reason Honda gave us to buy new. Same bike, higher cost new than for a used bike we know will last MANY miles.

Would I like Honda to come out with a new Sport Touring bike, YES. Would I buy one, NO. My 2003 suits me just fine. I have it set up for me. If I were to have an oops and need to replace it, then my first choice would be a nice used ST. If new, BMW will get a hard look. My opinion, so no response is needed, but feel free to do so.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
If we all understood Product Marketing Management it would be clear why Honda discontinued the ST line (for the US Market). The market has changed and Honda moved in a different direction than BMW, Yamaha, KTM, Ducati, etc. Only two of those make a Sport Tour (I think), the others including the two that make a Sport Tour have moved to Dual Sport. Honda elected to stay with their Mainstay the Wing and moved to the cruiser and entry level markets while keeping the sport bike lines. They also have one platform to satisfy multiple mid size market such as the CBR500 line. Three bikes one platform three different markets.

We all saw how successful the VFR1200 was for three years in the US. They had the right idea but missed the design for the market both on the Sport Tour and Sport bike. Great platform bad implementation.

If you like what you have ride it and quit complaining.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
We (on this forum) are the ones that bought STs.....would you buy a ten year old F150 Ford for the same price as a new one? Think about that....that's why many of us switched to newer rides....MY Gen3 FJR is more refined, smoother, more agile, better gas mileage, way better fuel mapping than MY ST was....the market is what it is....enjoy YOUR ride....safely.......ff

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
We (on this forum) are the ones that bought STs.....would you buy a ten year old F150 Ford for the same price as a new one? Think about that....that's why many of us switched to newer rides....MY Gen3 FJR is more refined, smoother, more agile, better gas mileage, way better fuel mapping than MY ST was....the market is what it is....enjoy YOUR ride....safely.......ff
I AM enjoying my ride--thank you for the nice reply. I am happy for YOU that you enjoy your new bike. Not trying to insult anyone here that found happiness in the FJR, but my opinions carry much truth. Also ff---if I had not purchased an ST I wouldn't be here right now, seeing as how I cherish my ride I don't want to see it "disappear" though I guess it shall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
It is called bang for your buck. $18,000 list for an under optioned bike compared to the FJR, which has been updated and cost less than the ST. Is it because we are buying used, NO, it is because there is no reason Honda gave us to buy new. Same bike, higher cost new than for a used bike we know will last MANY miles.

Would I like Honda to come out with a new Sport Touring bike, YES. Would I buy one, NO. My 2003 suits me just fine. I have it set up for me. If I were to have an oops and need to replace it, then my first choice would be a nice used ST. If new, BMW will get a hard look. My opinion, so no response is needed, but feel free to do so.
several 2012's going for $10,500 if ya look hard enough---I do what makes me happy and don't expect anyone else not to do the same.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . FWIW, this thread started out with the simple idea of maybe getting those who might be interested to cooperate in a joint effort to let Honda know that there is an interest here in the U.S. of seeing an updated ST1300 being made and shipped here. Good idea, why not, good luck.

However, it also included the seed information to be a thread for ST vs FJR comparison. If that comparison is going to continue here, maybe it could be continued with facts and subjective observations without hurt feelings. Each can have their opinion while still being respectful of others they may disagree with.

There's other threads that have more detail in their comparison of these two bikes as well as observations about other brands as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Shuey

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Well . . . FWIW, this thread started out with the simple idea of maybe getting those who might be interested to cooperate in a joint effort to let Honda know that there is an interest here in the U.S. of seeing an updated ST1300 being made and shipped here. Good idea, why not, good luck.

However, it also included the seed information to be a thread for ST vs FJR comparison. If that comparison is going to continue here, maybe it could be continued with facts and subjective observations without hurt feelings. Each can have their opinion while still being respectful of others they may disagree with.

There's other threads that have more detail in their comparison of these two bikes as well as observations about other brands as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Shuey
I agree----soon I shall go for a day ride with numerous friends (whom all ride FJR's) and we can do a much more technical comparison, this time I shall have input from an FJR rider for verification with pic's and technical data (these guy's are engineer's and college professor's)

Top Bottom