ST1300 versus FJR

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Seems to me that the technical numbers (i.e. dyno figures, quarter mile times, etc.....) are being muddled with real world riding experience. People often perceive that one bike is quicker than another or it makes you faster through your favorite section of highway but is it really? You don't know until you put a watch to it and find out for certain. I have an S curve near my house that I've taken hundreds of times. I've watched my speed through there almost every time I've ridden it. The ST and RT speeds were almost identical, the NC and Tenere are about 5 mph slower but feel just as fast or faster to me. On paper the 2012 RT I owned is much slower than the ST but in real world applications it would keep up with just about anyone on an ST and would run off and leave others.......it comes down to the rider and not the bike.

To me, a 10-15 hp difference between two bikes is pretty much meaningless, especially, if the bike with the more hp weighs 100 lbs more also. My RT weighed 570 lbs compared to the ST which weighed 720 lbs (some anal techie will probably correct me on these numbers but you get the idea). It felt like it handled better and I could ride it faster........but could I? Who knows, who cares? I enjoyed both bikes.

Real world riding experiences are much harder to quantify. That is why technical data that can be measured is published for most bikes. Both are meaningless until you throw a leg over the bike and take it for a ride. If it moves your soul, great!
Mike

what about the ridiculously better gas mileage my ST1300 gets over Mike's FJR?? This pissed Mike off a lot.
Gas mileage is awesome. As for cruise control, my hand works just fine. The ST1300 is more than comfortable enough to fall asleep while riding right now. Cruise control? No thanks.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Of all the farkles I've installed on my bike, and there are many, cruise control is, by far, the one I would miss the most. Heated gear would be the next, grips and jacket.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Gas mileage is awesome. As for cruise control, my hand works just fine. The ST1300 is more than comfortable enough to fall asleep while riding right now. Cruise control? No thanks.
I get 8% better gas mileage on my 2016 FJR compared to my 2007 ST. Plus the FJR drinks regular, while ST needs premium. This basically translates to fuel cost being 15-20% lower on my FJR. No big deal, but for people that focus on fuel cost, worth considering

Hello all .. back after a long absence. My nice ST13 is gone to bike heaven after ten years and 80,000 Kms. Replacement is a K1200GT which was way more affordable now than before. A garage queen but fully serviced.

When I purchased my '03 St1300 I Saw the factory fuel advisory sticker use premium. AND I did for the first week, and switched to low octane with noticable difference in performance, until now. I've had to go to premium to quiet ruff idle for first 40 seconds. So the winter, it'll top shelf

Top Bottom