U-joint went out today...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I guess that this is the proper place to post; if not, I'm sure the Mods will find the appropriate area.

I'd been feeling some rumbling through the footpegs, and suspected that it was time to check the u-joint on the driveshaft. On the way home from Arkansas today, it finally gave up the ghost. I was able to get back to Wichita without everything completely coming apart, but the clunking and clanking had me watching the remaining miles on the GPS. (I had Desmo Steve on standby, in case the ST1300 didn't make it home.)

I got home in time to watch the MotoGP races this afternoon, and we rolled the ST onto the lift afterwards. Tomorrow I'll start reading the shop manual and checking previous posts on the subject. I think I'll go through the entire rear end while I'm at it, and replace the driven flange and wheel bearings (already in stock in the garage) at the same time. The bike had just rolled past 109K; I guess 100K would have been a good time for preventative maintenance...

Looks like the KLR and XR1200X will be getting a bit more road time while the ST is down for repairs.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
Jeff said he ran into you at a rest area. Said you had some drivetrain problems but didn't say what. Glad you made it home without needing assistance.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yeah I keep wondering when mine will give up the ghost, the mileage is all over the place when they go out. Good luck on the repair.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
How long had you noticed the rumbling or vibration in the pegs?

Bike
2006 ST
My U-joint was doing the same thing as yours around 86K. Wasn't too bad a job removing and replacing. Run's very smooth again after the replacement.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you made it back!

I don't have to replace the u-joint on one of my bike ('04#1), but I have to go through the same procedure to replace all of the seals to the back engine. Please document your adventure while you're working on it for us! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
How long had you noticed the rumbling or vibration in the pegs?
There had been some minor vibrations for several hundred miles; sometimes it seemed to vary with road surface, so I wasn't sure that it was the u-joint. I guess the lesson is to jump on it right away when something seems out of kilter. I was planning to do the cush drives, bearings, and a bunch of other stuff this winter - just waited too long on this item. In hindsight, I probably should have started the project when I rolled past 100K. It's probably time to send the suspension back to Race Tech while I'm tearing into things. Not sure if I should have the OEM rear shock rebuilt again, or bite the bullet and buy the G3 shock.

OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Naked and Dirty

Stay away from the delete button, Joe; I'm talking about the bike.

ST U-Joint 004 (Medium).jpg

It's been a little over a week since I started tearing the ST1300 down. It was definitely the u-joint; you can see in the photos where it was actually rubbing on the inside of the swingarm toward the end. The other photos show the splined shaft the u-joint engages at the rear of the engine/transmission, the sealing boot from the front of the swingarm, and the Honda tool for removing the swingarm. (It'll be available for loan once the bike's back together.)

Fortunately, nothing appears to be irreparably damaged except the u-joint and possible the sealing boot. I have replacements for both, along with a new driveshaft seal. The old one looks OK, but I might as well replace it while I'm at it.

There's a lot of stuff that has to come off to remove the swingarm, some of which I don't recall seeing in the shop manual. The O2 sensors have to be removed, or the wiring from them unplugged from the harness; I found the latter to be easier, although it required removing the left side bodywork. I didn't want to drain the rear brake system and disconnect the lines from the master cylinder, so we unbolted the master cylinder from the casting that holds the footpegs.

I had planned several maintenance items for this winter, so I've decided to do them now while the bike is down. This includes valve clearances (re-shimming will probably be necessary this time; it was close last time,) rebuilding the front and rear suspension (forks and shock are on their way to Race Tech,) and replacement of the swingarm bearings. The wheel bearings and rear driven flange bearings seem OK, but I have replacements on hand (including the roller bearing to replace the ball bearings in the driven flange.) I'll replace the line from rear master cylinder to the reservoir while it's exposed, and probably replace the coolant hoses and replace the coolant while the bodywork is off.

ST U-Joint 002 (Medium).jpg

ST U-Joint 003 (Medium).jpg

ST U-Joint 005 (Medium).jpg

ST U-Joint 006 (Medium).jpg

ST U-Joint 007 (Medium).jpg

I might even get the BMW grips and grip heaters installed, along with the G2 throttle tamer that's been sitting around.

On the positive side, it's going to be easier to see the timing marks with the forks out of the way. The rebuilt rear shock will be easier to install before replacing the swingarm.

Any other recommendations for preventative maintenance at 100K+?

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Good to hear no major damage to the surrounding components from the failure of the U-joint.

Top Bottom