Brake fluid question - Honda Dot 4 or Auto Store Dot 4

RCS

The service manual calls for Honda Dot 4 brake fluid and does not mention an equivalent is okay too. So, does anyone think there is a risk with the abs system in using an Auto Store branded Dot 4 brake fluid?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Not an issue using store brand DOT4. Like oil brands, DOT4 brands do have some subtle differences and there are only a few with incompatibilities. But what's important is to do the fluid change.

An example comparison.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
DOT 4 is a standard. Brake fluid labeled as DOT 4 meets Honda's specifications.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Thanks for the quick replies. Going with an Auto Store Dot 4 brake fluid saves me time and money.

Honda Dot 4 fluid in my local motorcycle store shelf is 2-4 years old so the only way I can get fresh fluid is through ordering it from a store with high product turnover on Dot 4 Honda fluid. With an internet order I have to pay for shipping and wait for the order to arrive.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The ABS system is just another passage the brake fluid passes through. It doesn't require any special treatment; if your brakes work, so will the ABS (at least from a hydraulic standpoint).

--Mark

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Not an issue using store brand DOT4. Like oil brands, DOT4 brands do have some subtle differences and there are only a few with incompatibilities. But what's important is to do the fluid change.

An example comparison.
That is an interesting chart. Wonder why the price of Dot 4 fluid varies so dramatically from brand to brand with walmart Prestone 12oz at the lowest $3.87, Pro Honda 12oz at $4.99, and Motul 600 16oz for $18.25?

After reading that chart and seeing all the choices I ended up going with Pro Honda Dot 4 fluid mostly because that is what I have always used for the last 4 fluid changes, the cost of shipping was only slightly more expensive than driving to the store, and shipping time is three days.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW I alternate flushes between Valvoline and Prestone brands. I'm doing at least 1 change a year sometimes 2 and the color difference between these brands is makes it easy to see when new fluid is coming out the bleeders. One is nearly clear and the other yellowish.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have been using Prestone or Valvoline DOT 4 in my bikes and cars for 25 years. Auto store fluids are just as good as any MC dealer equilivants. Same for oil, oil filters, valve stems, coolant, waxes, polishes, cleaners, brushes, the list goes on......

My opinion is that specific, motorcycle branded consumable fluids are a big rip off. Harley is the worst offender, in my experience.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
Thanks for the quick replies. Going with an Auto Store Dot 4 brake fluid saves me time and money.

Honda Dot 4 fluid in my local motorcycle store shelf is 2-4 years old so the only way I can get fresh fluid is through ordering it from a store with high product turnover on Dot 4 Honda fluid. With an internet order I have to pay for shipping and wait for the order to arrive.
Unless they're selling it out of a 50 gallon drum, rather than a sealed container, I wouldn't think time on the shelf would matter.

FWIW I alternate flushes between Valvoline and Prestone brands. I'm doing at least 1 change a year sometimes 2 and the color difference between these brands is makes it easy to see when new fluid is coming out the bleeders. One is nearly clear and the other yellowish.
Now, that's clever! Good tip!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The ABS system is just another passage the brake fluid passes through. It doesn't require any special treatment; if your brakes work, so will the ABS (at least from a hydraulic standpoint).

--Mark
Mark, I'm replying to your post because I know that you're very knowledgeable of Honda ST maintenance requirements, etc. I hope I'm not stealing the OP thread, but I'm prompted to ask another question pertaining to brake fluid. I've been using Castrol GTLMA (Low Moisture Activity) brake fluid in my motorcycles for several years. When I took my brake calipers to a trusted Honda mechanic ~2 years ago to have them reconditioned w/new seals installed, I showed him what I was using for brake fluid and he advised me to bleed it out of my brakes ASAP and replace it with conventional DOT4. I never did follow his advice, as I thought he may have assumed I was using DOT5.x fluid, which I know is a no-no unless specifically approved and/or recommended by the M/C manufacturer. The label states that it is synthetic brake fluid that exceeds DOT3 & DOT4 specs, but does not indicate that it contains any silicon or any reference to DOT5. The label also states that it meets specifications SAEJ1703, J1704, FMVSS/CMVSS No. 116, which means nothing to me. Bottom line, is this brake fluid bad for my ST, or good?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I never did follow his advice, as I thought he may have assumed I was using DOT5.x fluid, which I know is a no-no unless specifically approved and/or recommended by the M/C manufacturer. The label states that it is synthetic brake fluid that exceeds DOT3 & DOT4 specs, but does not indicate that it contains any silicon or any reference to DOT5. The label also states that it meets specifications SAEJ1703, J1704, FMVSS/CMVSS No. 116, which means nothing to me. Bottom line, is this brake fluid bad for my ST, or good?
You could use Dot 5.1, just don't use Dot 5.

SAE J1703 are the specs for Dot 3
SAE J1704 are the specs for Dot 4
FMVSS/CMVSS No. 116 is the spec for Dot 5.1

All of those are polyglycolether / borate ester based.
Boiling point goes up with each spec, 205, 230, 270.

Dot 5 is silicone based. Do not mix with anything else!!

Bottom line, you are using just about the best fluid you can. Exceeding the fluid specifications called for.

Last edited:
STOC #
I have been using Prestone or Valvoline DOT 4 in my bikes and cars for 25 years. Auto store fluids are just as good as any MC dealer equilivants. Same for oil, oil filters, valve stems, coolant, waxes, polishes, cleaners, brushes, the list goes on......

My opinion is that specific, motorcycle branded consumable fluids are a big rip off. Harley is the worst offender, in my experience.
Where's the "Like" button.

Top Bottom