Ignition switch project - key woes

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
So my barn find '95 was missing the lock barrel from the ignition switch - I bought a replacement from a '91, and drilled out the pin to remove the barrel last night so I can get new wafers to match my key. Well it turns out the '91 lock uses a different key blank than on my '95, AND uses a gate so only a specific type of key will fit. The offset / recess on the key blank is the opposite of mine, so my key won't even fit into the barrel even with the wafers removed. Interestingly enough on the other locks on the bike that I went over to clean out dirt etc., they didn't have the requirement of having the key blank recessed one way or the other. Just thought that was interesting to note.

Slight bump in the road, but not stuck by any means.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
At lunch I went to my local key shop and they do have the opposite key, so on Monday I'll bring in the ignition lock, the original key, and one of the existing other working lock barrels so we can match up the wafers for the "new" lock. Not too horrible of a workaround imho.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
At least you know now. I went through the 'blank' confusion when I tried to order them from a local dealer and they got the wrong ones after a long wait. I finally went on line and got the correction ones myself. ;-)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
OK, this is weird. The fiche shows the same part number from 91-95, with the new part number starting in 96. Is it possible your 95 somehow has a 96+ ignition cylinder installed in it?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Using the Where Used search on Service Honda shows both types of keys used on all years and models.

John
OK, so its not a lock cylinder variable, the key patterns that go into the lock cylinder can have either key orientation. Never knew that, thanks.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My new-to-me 1100 came with one slightly bent key. I ordered some blanks off Ebay and had them cut at my local locksmiths.....'Lock Tight' in Watauga, TX. They had suitable blanks for half what I paid on line. I just assumed they had none as they had no blanks for my other old bikes in the past.
You just never know until you ask.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Yep, local locksmith here has the "reverse" key to mine - so I'm going to go with that. You only need to match the correct left/right key with the ignition lock, as it's the only one "keyed" in that regard. All of the other locks on the bike don't care if it's a left or right, just as long as the profile of the key is suitable.

Top Bottom