Chill Factor

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
What's the coldest weather you ride in?
This being northeast Texas, below freezing weather is kind of hard to come by without precipitation accompanying it.
So far, I have had three 17 degree F rides to work over the last three years. Lots of sub freezing rides, but 17 was my lowest.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I have gear for all temps. The coldest I've ridden is 17 degrees F.

Bike
2011 Honda NT700V
Sadly the coldest weather I've had the opportunity to go ride in so far has been only 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
I don't own any electric vests, gloves, etc. so at around 40 degrees the car starts looking better than the bike to me. I've certainly ridden in colder weather, but these days I have options...

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
When I was 16... I rode in 9 degree weather, plus they didn't make cold weather riding gear back then. That being said, it was nuts! Much older now and hopefully a little wiser and NOTHING to prove! You guys go for it!

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
My comfortable commuting cut off is 40F. Sure I can ride to work in the dark at colder temperatures, but as Vinny says, "nothing to prove." :)

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ride regardless the temp number as long as my route is clear of any slippery stuff on the pavement. I am also a member of the Rounders club (YearRoundRiders per previous post). Each of the last 9 years I've been a KHOF Rounder (Kook Hall of Fame) for riding in sub-zero temps. The coldest I was able to ride is the coldest central Iowa has seen without frozen slippery stuff on the pavement at just below -15?F. A few years we get some warm temps too and that brings me into the Red Hot Rounder range at around 105?F.

The Coldest Ride contest was cancelled last season before the end of the contest by Mellow. Likely never to be seen again due to one or two whiners with anal gripes about the rules.

OP
OP
Oldbikefixr
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I ride regardless the temp number as long as my route is clear of any slippery stuff on the pavement. I am also a member of the Rounders club (YearRoundRiders per previous post). Each of the last 9 years I've been a KHOF Rounder (Kook Hall of Fame) for riding in sub-zero temps. The coldest I was able to ride is the coldest central Iowa has seen without frozen slippery stuff on the pavement at just below -15?F. A few years we get some warm temps too and that brings me into the Red Hot Rounder range at around 105?F.

The Coldest Ride contest was cancelled last season before the end of the contest by Mellow. Likely never to be seen again due to one or two whiners with anal gripes about the rules.
It is really interesting to ride in the cold and check the radiator temp. At below 20 F, the temp needle on my GL1000's remained pegged to the left. The engine always ran like it had just fired up...typical cold natured Honda fashion. The ST radiator isn't exposed, but kind of tucked out of the way...wondering how the indicator will do during my first winter with it.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
It is really interesting to ride in the cold and check the radiator temp. At below 20 F, the temp needle on my GL1000's remained pegged to the left. The engine always ran like it had just fired up...typical cold natured Honda fashion. The ST radiator isn't exposed, but kind of tucked out of the way...wondering how the indicator will do during my first winter with it.
I bought my ST in February. It was probably in the low 40's when I rode it home and the temp gauge never moved during the whole 30 mile trip, even though I was cruising at 80 much of the time. Seller told me it was normal, but I didn't think so because if the bike wasn't moving the temp needle would move up. Turned out the thermostat was stuck open. If your thermostat is working the temp should at least get into the normal range. 20 below is kind of exceptional; probably not what these bikes were designed for, so I'd probably rig up some kind of radiator cover like I used to put on my Freightliner when I was trailer truckin',

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I noticed on my ST1100 the temp needle would stay a bit low at really cold temps (below 10*F) but it would move up and down depending if I was moving. This IS normal since when stopped there is no air moving past the radiator so it warms up to just before the fan starts, but when moving there is air blowing through the radiator and enough to keep it very cool so the fan does not start. At temps above 20*F I would be worried if the needle didn't get to normal range. My CTX1300 is the same indicator as on the ST1300 and in extreme cold I get to one bar, sometimes two bars when moving at speed. In town and at slower speeds it gets up to normal... eventually (again in the very cold temps).

Top Bottom