Zumo 665 losing route guidance

STOC #
My Zumo 665 has worked fine since I got it. Its been a few years so I decided to buy a map update. In the process the Garmin web site there was new software available for the unit so I upgraded it. BAD move. The update went fine, and I also updated to the latest Basecamp. Routes compute fine, but I keep losing route guidance at random times. Will be going along on guidance, and all of a sudden it can't find a way to the route - even though I'm on the same road with a long ways to go. If I select my data and restart the route it immediately picks it up again. It never loses map position so its not losing gps position. Sometimes it will last 5 minutes, sometimes 60 minutes. Worked perfectly before I did the update.

Any ideas how to fix this? Any way to roll back to the original device software? I don't think its the map database. I think its the firmware that was loaded.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
My turn guidance/lane assist goes to a blank screen... And eventually crashes after updating

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My Zumo 665 has worked fine since I got it. Its been a few years so I decided to buy a map update. In the process the Garmin web site there was new software available for the unit so I upgraded it. BAD move. The update went fine, and I also updated to the latest Basecamp. Routes compute fine, but I keep losing route guidance at random times. Will be going along on guidance, and all of a sudden it can't find a way to the route - even though I'm on the same road with a long ways to go. If I select my data and restart the route it immediately picks it up again. It never loses map position so its not losing gps position. Sometimes it will last 5 minutes, sometimes 60 minutes. Worked perfectly before I did the update.

Any ideas how to fix this? Any way to roll back to the original device software? I don't think its the map database. I think its the firmware that was loaded.
I have a 665 also, and have seen this happen on some routes. I have read (somewhere) that Garmin has admitted issues with the 660 series and Basecamp. They have told some that the 660s are incompatible with Basecamp ( !! ).
Suggest you download Mapquest and use that to create & upload your routes to the GPS. Worth a try.

You should also join Zumoforums.com - lots of good info there.

Good luck ;)

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
I think you mean Mapsource, not Mapquest. That is possible because this is the first time I am using Basecamp. The Garmin site only has one download for Mapsource 6163, and its an update not a complete download. Anyone have a link to a full Mapsource download?

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
John, yes that is the same link I found. As the page explains that is just a patch to upgrade an existing installation. Its not the actual program.

CST

I ride, therefore I am.
Bike
2010 ST1300A
STOC #
This last link is Mapsource without maps, so no way to build a route within the program. GARMIN really fell on it's face with the 660 and 665. They stopped shipping Mapsource with the maps and stopped supporting it before they started selling the 660 and 665 and by their own admission BaseCamp does not work well with these models as many of us have found out. Another problem is that the XM antenna that is supplied with the 665 is nowhere near as good as the old GXM30 antennas and keeps loosing signal unless you mount it totally in the clear such as on a mast so it is above your head and not shaded by your body. NOT AT ALL HAPPY WITH THIS EXPENSIVE PIECE OF GARBAGE.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
John, yes that is the same link I found. As the page explains that is just a patch to upgrade an existing installation. Its not the actual program.
That's not what I understand. Yes, the upper section (in italics) is a 2.2MB patch to the Topo maps. The button is a link to the full MapSource program (57MB). Or, here's the link the button takes you to: http://download.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6163.exe

The link Andrew provided also provides that same download, via cnet.

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
Unfortunately the Garmini page, the Cnet page and the direct garmin download link are all the same thing. It is a 6.163 update that requires Mapsource already be installed. I tried all of them. Keep trying!

:bow1:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I have had the same issues in the past. I load my route from a Basecamp created route to the SD card I have in the 660/665. When you turn your GPS on after loading the new route to the SD card it can take a while for it to "see" the new routes. It will then ask/tell you you have new data to import. Import them and then try taking your route and see if it acts up. Mine would take a completely different course to just stop navigating and say something like no road at end of route. I would then have to select route and it would take me further along until it decided it wanted to irritate me again. Since putting them on the SD card and importing new routes, I have not had anymore issues. I just completed an 11 day trip with each day a different route created with Basecamp.

Yes somewhere on the Garmin site it states the 660/665's are not compatible with Basecamp????

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
I figured out how to get Mapsource.

1. Download and install the Mapsource trainer. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

2. Then download and install the latest (and I assume last) Mapsource update: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

The updater will see the trainer as an install and allow it to be upgraded. That will give you Mapsource with no maps.

Connect your 660 to the PC. Assuming you have Garmin Express already installed (necessary to do map updates), Express will start. There is an option to load maps from the GPS to the PC. After copying the map to the PC, open Mapsource and go to Utilities | Manage Map Products. You will see the map extracted from the GPS, and it should be unlocked.

I did find another web site with alternative instructions to install Mapsource. I did not try this because I had already found the 2-step process above. The other process is listed as:

1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin. The version as
of December 4, 2007 is 6.13.6, and the trick also works on Map Source
version 6.13.5.

2. Unpack or extract the content of MapSource_6136.exe
downloaded using WinRAR.

3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi.

4. Then, run Setup.exe.

Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is
important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.

5. Garmin MapSource now installed.

Of course at this point I don't know if Basecamp was my problem or not. It may take some time of use to be sure because it doesn't blow up on a consistent basis.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Glad you found an answer. While this is not the answer/path you want, I have never liked Mapsource and liked Basecamp even less. So I use Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013. I bought it last year for $35. It allows you to export files in GPX format to the Zumo.

But I just looked for the current price and it appears that it is so much in demand that the price is now $220 plus. Very interesting. Microsoft will or did stop supporting the product in 2013 but, it still works well and is much easier to use. However, if the current price is accurate, very pricy.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
it still works well and is much easier to use.
What is easier to use is as varied as to what oil to use. Yes I have tried S & T and own a copy, that, if I can find it, I would gladly pass along to a fellow member. For me I like and get along with Basecamp now that my routes created are followed once loaded into my 660. Basecamp has its quirks, but they all do when you first try to use a new to you mapping software.

Use what works best or easiest for you. It is good that other options are pointed out and available if one wants to try a different approach.

You can not beat the price of Basecamp.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Yep. I use Mobil 1 10w-40 Racing T4. Regarding cost, you almost always get what you pay for. :)

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
There is no doubt the problem is the 660/65 and Basecamp. On our trip a few years ago, Kevin loaded the routes into my cheapo Nuvi and they worked fine while his 660 tried to route us to Long Island! This last 11 day trip, he loaded the route to his SD card which is a choice always given by Basecamp, and all routes worked great. An easy solution.

Greg

Top Bottom