Upgrading with 40 amp factory install kit

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I currently own a 1990 ST1100 with the original 28 amp alternator. The bike is working extremely well, however I decided I should upgrade to having the 40amp unit.
I found a kit that has a factory installed 40amp alternator and it came with ABS and traction control, driving lamps, heated grips corbin seat and top box all for an astounding $1150 Canadian.
Unknown.jpg
It's a 1997. I have a little bit of work to do but very excited with this purchase.

For me to do the upgrade would pretty much come close to the purchase price of this bike.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Pretty easy upgrade... Remove rider from bike, relocate and reinstall rider on 2nd bike, DONE!

You didn't even need the Lewis pin or swingarm pivot tool! Nice!

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
I currently own a 1990 ST1100 with the original 28 amp alternator. The bike is working extremely well, however I decided I should upgrade to having the 40amp unit.
I found a kit that has a factory installed 40amp alternator and it came with ABS and traction control, driving lamps, heated grips corbin seat and top box all for an astounding $1150 Canadian.
Unknown.jpg
It's a 1997. I have a little bit of work to do but very excited with this purchase.

For me to do the upgrade would pretty much come close to the purchase price of this bike.

Duh! I'm confused. Did you buy the kit, or blow it off and just buy a newer bike?

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Pretty easy upgrade... Remove rider from bike, relocate and reinstall rider on 2nd bike, DONE!

You didn't even need the Lewis pin or swingarm pivot tool! Nice!
Well, it seemed like the best idea to me.... using the KISS principle here (keep it simple stupid)

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Duh! I'm confused. Did you buy the kit, or blow it off and just buy a newer bike?
For the past year, I've been trying to justify doing the alternator upgrade on my 1990. I would price it out and when all said and done it would cost me about a thousand Canadian. I've also been seeing the value of the ST drop on the used market up here.
So my reference to "kit" is loose, as one would have to assemble their own kit and source out parts.
So I'm being a smart *** and just upgrading to a newer bike

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Good purchase, Robert. Now you have a wealth of spare parts instead of having to buy and wait for broken / worn bits. If the rims are interchangeable, tire changes will be faster. And, the price was right! :)

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
When I bought the bike it wasn't running, the battery was dead and it had sat outside in the weather, is what I'm assuming for over a year.
I gave it a bath, and wiped off the cobwebs. Installed a back-up battery from my black bike and purchased new plugs from the local dealer. I installed the new plugs, cranked it over for about a minute and it slowly caught on and began to run.
Clean fresh fuel is in order. The ABS lights are flashing so that will need some attention. I think the calipers need some attention, and it would be a good idea to flush the fluids.

The tires are relatively new (battleaxe 023 front and rear) A few cosmetic things but I really have no issue to complain.

No to check the Clymers and troubleshoot the ABS

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Ride the red one, sell the black one, before the 28 amp alternator packs it in. I had two last summer, my original '95 and a '96, the '96 bought with half the kms as was on the '95. Couldn't ride 'em both at once, nor afford to insure two bikes, so the obvious choice for me was to sell the '95, which I sold for more than I paid for the "96 - BUT, I had to replace the 28A stator on the '95 before I sold it, so I more or less broke even.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Ride the red one, sell the black one, before the 28 amp alternator packs it in. I had two last summer, my original '95 and a '96, the '96 bought with half the kms as was on the '95. Couldn't ride 'em both at once, nor afford to insure two bikes, so the obvious choice for me was to sell the '95, which I sold for more than I paid for the "96 - BUT, I had to replace the 28A stator on the '95 before I sold it, so I more or less broke even.
I'll sell the black one in the spring. I have a few things I want to install on the red one from the black one. The prices for the '90's are kinda off the wall, the lowest currently on kijiji is $1900, then a couple in the 2500 mark and a dealer trying to flog one for 4300. I'll price it to sell, if not one could part it out. we shall see

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Congratulations on the new bike, hope you get the ABS sorted easily. Now I will have to keep an eye out for a red ST1100 as well.

Gerhard

Top Bottom