strange vibrations

Bike
st1300, 2008
Hi, everybody , I just got 08 st1300 with 35k , and noticed vibration on handlebars and through the tank when the revs are over 2500, changed air filter(old one was original , never chenged probably, it looks caked with black dust),idle got better , but stillnot steady, even when the engine is at right temperature, when it is on center stand and I shift throughgears there is a clunking noise, but when I press the clutch , noise is gone, what is next try to fix the bike, please, any reply would be greatly appreciated?

Bike
07 ST1300
Shaft drive bikes always make a racket in gear on the center stand. I just don't do it.
I haven't the experience to help with a vibration but I think it will be a long thread.
I would move the rear wheel back and forth a see what sounds you encounter. Maybe video it and present to the more experienced guys here.
OR it could be something else entirely. My 07 is quite smooth.
Black dust though? You live near a coal mine?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST clutch or mainshaft will make a subtle knocking or clunking noise in idle in neutral. It goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in. It's normal and not a problem.

Yes, the ST can make rumbling, clunking, or knocking noises when running through the gears on the center stand. It's probably nothing to worry about when it makes none of these noises when being ridden. The drive train needs some load on it to take up all the play in the gears, shaft, and final drive.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
First thing I'd do is run a couple of tanks of SeaFoam or Techron through it....how do the plugs look? Did it sit on a dealer's floor for a long period of time? Good luck.........ff

Bike
2006 ST1300
This could be two separate problems, one while static, on centerstand ( the ST does need resistance on it to keep the lash in the drivetrain from making noise) , which is NO problem really, and another problem at speed. I used to have a slight vibration above certain RPMS, which caused numb hands, etc. I balanced both tires with a static balancer, and added balance beads, and it took care of the problem. I am not saying balance beads are the answer, but how long since the tires were balanced? Another idea is to try adjusting the counterbalancers. EAsy to do, and might help.

+1 on the Seafoam too!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I'd suggest you find another local ST rider willing to swap with you for a few minutes for a comparison...that's worth a lot more than supposition here.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I'd suggest you find another local ST rider willing to swap with you for a few minutes for a comparison...that's worth a lot more than supposition here.
But them suppositories do work in the end. :D

Perhaps if we narrow this down... So, when riding, please clarify whether this is RPM dependent or not. Does the vibration occur in each gear, but only over 2500 RPM? If so, I don't see how it can be tire related, as that would be speed dependent.

Top Bottom