Loss of power + loose earth strap

Hi all, just got my 1100 Pan on then road after it had been laid up by the last owner for 3 1/2yrs.. It rode great for 70miles then when setting off fom a set of lights it felt like I was in to high a gear. But was not, it then ran like a 250cc not an 1100cc. I could feel exhaust coming out of both pipes, but one side exhausts felt a lot cooler. I could smell fuel, feels like a carb diaphragm fault.. Any one had similar symptoms? before I start the 2nd strip down of the body panels. Maybe just plugs?
also when I did the last strip down I found a loose earth strap about 10inch long can anyone tell me where this may of been attached to? There is one short one fixed from battery earth to frame but not sure where the other one should be fitted? Thanks in anticipation.

from your description, it sounds as if the ign. is not working properly. you can zero in on the offending cylinder(s) by running for a short time and removing the individual spark plugs and inspecting for wet plugs. could be as simple as a poor spark plug electrical connection/ or bad wire. all I can think of for the loose strap, is that maybe it's from the starter motor. good luck

OP
OP
Hi Guys thanks for reply.. Well I have got into the problem a little more now. There is no spark on the right side cylinders. So I guess its a coil fault. I have taken all the tupperware off and I see the coils and I have undone the securing bolts.. but can't see how to get them out to have a look at them. I was going to swap the HT leads round and see if the fault goes to the other side.. to verify.

Here is the mystery earth strap
I only have one earth strap from battery to frame so I guess I need to bolt this to engine somewhere...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Here is the mystery earth strap
The glimpse of a white painted fairing plus that braided copper line would indicate the mount being an EX squad bike...
They often installed that additionally to cope with the extra requirements of the radio aboard, so I doubt it have "fallen out" is directly related to your issues.

OP
OP
Cheers yeah its an ex Cop bike... So just an extra earth to chassis.. The coils check out ok, they just slid out the top of the frame when I had a closer look. So ordered a 2nd hand CDI unit hopefully that is where the problem lies.

OP
OP
So I junked the earth strap, and fitted another CDI unit and voila all is well firing on all four again.. so thats it now I can enjoy riding it.. though the rear brake pedal does seem to excessive travel before it works.. But I will save that for another day.

Top Bottom