Started my day with a no-start bike. :(

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
It ran fine Saturday, I parked it rolled it out this morning, and nothing! No lights, no clicks, nada. Because I have a funky ignition switch,I thought maybe I left it on and the battery was dead. Hooked up jumper cables to the Mrs.' car battery and nada. Battery has voltage though. No lights on dash, fusible link is OK, 4th down ign/acc fuse is OK. Tonight when I get home I'll check the ignition switch - I'm assuming I should be able to get voltage at the switch, so if not, any recommendations on the next thing to check? Ign switch connector?

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
dkruitz,

Sounds like a bad cable connection the the battery...... but you tried jumper cables...? No dash lights with the jumpers either?....

Sounds like another case where I am going to learn something as well...

Odie1.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Load test the battery..
You can do this in the bike by measuring the batt voltage while engaging the starter. Even just turning the bike on could show a bad voltage drop.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
But even with a dirty kill switch and the battery jumpered to a good car battery, the panel lights should come on.

I just checked the schematics, there's a 30A fuse I forgot about that's not part of the main fuse panel - will check that next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Just to clarify - is the main fuse the 30A blade fuse to the left of what I'm calling a "fusible link", or is the fusible link the main use?

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
have t you considered refurbishing the ign. switch?
Yes, I have a new barrel and housing and will be putting it all back together this week. (The Previous Owner's repair guy butchered the lock barrel and I have a plain switch with no lock right now.)
I could only do basic trouble-shooting this AM before I jumped in the truck. When I get home tonight, I'll have the voltmeter out checking for voltage at the switch to start with. (Printed the schematics for reference.)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Just to clarify - is the main fuse the 30A blade fuse to the left of what I'm calling a "fusible link"....[?]
Yes. Pull the red 4P connector and the 30A Main Fuse is exposed. Amazingly, the ST in the picture was still running with its connector in that condition! A failure just waiting to happen.

John

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Update: it's fixed! It was the 30amp fuse.

I hadn't noticed that the clock wasn't working either which is one of the signs that fuse was out. I think I accidentally shorted the backside of the ign. switch causing that fuse to blow. Note to self, replace spare fuse asap!

Thanks for the tips and the links fellas!

Last edited:
Top Bottom