What is the appeal of long distance trips?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If you're an age-challenged rider, treat long distance riding similar to beginning any workout...work into it gradually. Start off short distance to gauge what hurts, if anything. Arthritis or new positions (on the bike, guys) pains may indicate some physical challenges you need to deal with first.....possibly some mods to the bike may be appropriate.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It seems to take two days to really start decompressing...
The term "decompressing" fits it quite well, cause that mysterious 3rd day is also the occasion where everyone (you, your TB, your riding buddy...) will most likely show a *mental outbreak* (usually over "nothing", like an unclear signpost, a few drops spilled coffee or such minority...); once that has vented the accumulated job/everyday life pressure, the vacation really begins...
And its important to be aware of this psychological issue, so you're all are prepared and just tolerate when you, your buddy/partner start to show the signs... ;-)
(methinks that boaters and climbers are also aware of this effect, as I'd observed it on dive cruises, thus think its kinda "standard" in human behaviour)

Last edited:
Bike
03 ST1300
For me, I generally don't like riding more than 400 miles per day. I think a lot of that has to do with the bike you're on and on the ST1300 that's about the limit my body will allow. Back and knees start to give me problems.

On longer trips the ability to have a big wind / weather protection is key. I would ride more if time would allow. I've been pondering a Goldwing but I haven't really decided for sure. It will probably happen. Once I start thinking about a bike there's usually no hope for me.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
The term "decompressing" fits it quite well, cause that mysterious 3rd day is also the occasion where everyone (you, your TB, your riding buddy...) will most likely show a *mental outbreak* (usually over "nothing", like an unclear signpost, a few drops spilled coffee or such minority...); once that has vented the accumulated job/everyday life pressure, the vacation really begins...
And its important to be aware of this psychological issue, so you're all are prepared and just tolerate when you, your buddy/partner start to show the signs... ;-)
(methinks that boaters and climbers are also aware of this effect, as I'd observed it on dive cruises, thus think its kinda "standard" in human behaviour)
Agreed, but beyond such signs of "third-day" syndrome are those of yet another, "third-bike" syndrome. Equally annoying, here's retired George Requesting a 150,000 mile award for lipSTick...

205,000 miles so easily beats the 54,800 she had when I got her. So, 100,00+ on ReSTored, 150,000 on lipSTick, and 200,000+ on STick. :D
Though I've hardly gone George's distance, his "venerable" grin is at least one tolerable sign of "the appeal of long-distance trips." :)

Styles

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Taking long trips on the bike is....well......can't rationalize it well except maybe by example. I learned to fly in open cockpit airplanes; I love more modern aircraft, but the attraction of the wind, noises and environment is simply irresistible. Riding the bike as opposed to taking the car requires a similar attitude, level of preparation and attention to detail.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Agreed, but beyond such signs of "third-day" syndrome are those of yet another, "third-bike" syndrome. Equally annoying, here's retired George Requesting a 150,000 mile award for lipSTick...

Though I've hardly gone George's distance, his "venerable" grin is at least one tolerable sign of "the appeal of long-distance trips." :)

Styles
LOL, happened to me. I hate going in to pay for gas.
Youse guys are just jealous. :D

Thanks for the acknowledgement, STyles. You have taught me much over the years here. And, I, too, have had a card rejected for "frequency of use." The ST helps, I only stop every 250 or so. Both my Discover and my Visa now know my habits. :D

I've lost some of the LD luSTer in the paST couple years, the motorcycle has become an accomodation rather than an end in and of itself. Gotta say, tho, the last couple trips have been hi-lights. :D

Bike
'12 HD sportser 1200
This is a great thread! so happy i found this.. I want to begin taking long rides like this to be able to adventure and see new things. Im stuck in the same boring town doing the same boring things.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Also something to consider: proper, quality riding gear... able to keep you comfy, dry, cool and warm where and whenever required (its also your "skin" if you eventually come off the bike...)

On long hauls you will face all kinds of weather.
I for one am very happy with genuine GoreTex textile gear (Dainese stitches)... I heat up, thus sweat easily and can't bear any of the noticeable cheaper "Generika" that are out... plus the comfy thermal liner, ruff, etc...
I also have like 3~4 pairs of gloves with me, serving me from hot and dry, to F_cold and pouring... (sleet and hail can appear anytime and quickly in the Alpine mountains...)

Same goes for the helmet, proper fit, excellent vents, waterproof in bad weather and a Pinlock visor to prevent fogging up...

Only with good gear you're fully comfy, nimble operating controls, so able to really enjoy the ride, thus keep on riding.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I've been contemplating this question since this thread popped up and still don't know if I can articulate my thoughts on long distance riding. Mainly, I like riding long distance to see things I haven't seen before. It's exciting to top a rise on a road you've never ridden to see what lies on the other side. The solitude is relaxing--its the one time I am alone with my thoughts, only my thoughts, without having to be or do anything for anyone else. I'm not sure I say more than a few dozen words to anyone the entire time I'm out riding. Most daylight and some of the twilight hours are on the bike so there is little time for interaction with others. I pay at the pump to buy gas so checking in at the motel and ordering dinner at a restaurant are about the only times I need to speak to another person. This is a lot different from my life back home where family friends and work take up a considerable amount of my day.

I have a dual role at work where half my salary is paid by the college and the other half by the local economic development corporation. I do the same thing for both, arrange business training for local businesses and help recruit new industries to the area. I spend a lot of time in meetings and interacting with clients so the luxury of not having to talk to anyone for a few days is precious to me. If i didn't ride, I'd probably fish or find some other solitary pursuit to get the downtime to recharge my batteries.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
. . . The solitude is relaxing . . .
:plus1: Your apt remarks remind me of Thoreau's thoughts on interior economy: "I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society."

As to mine, I've two motorcycles, two cars, and not yet a minivan for being out and about. ;-)

Styles

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Something about long days in the saddle. Alone, or a friend or two. Sights, sounds, sensations. Leaning. Accelerating. Discovering new places, revisiting favorite places. Riding.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
"4: It is fun to just wander about the countryside, following roads that strike your fancy because of where they may go or simply because you like the name."

I always imagine the road will end on a downhill slope. How do you turn a 700 lb ST around?

John-

OP
OP
Bilko
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Whelp it's been just over 8 months since I posed the question - thought I'd give an update.

I have since purchased a 2008 ST1300A - just under 29k miles, in fantastic shape - it actually belonged to another forum member here boSTon - it arrived in December of 15. I simply adore the motorcycle and truly enjoy riding all distances with it!

Completed a 1k trek to my brother's in Manhattan KS. My local brother with his road king went with me. We stopped midway in Denver on the way there and back. It was frankly amazing. As I came into Manhattan, the temps were up to 106 but I was expecting it, had a camelback filled with icewater sitting in my tank bag and kept me hydrated. I also kept my leather jacket, gloves and full face helmet on the whole time and I do believe it helped protect me from the broiling wind (even though many people thought I was crazy). Spent almost a week in KS touring the local towns with my brothers, eating at unique one-off diners and just soaking in the sites.

I am very, very happy with the ST and I love riding - especially long distances. I did discover that I must get a Russell day long, as I found that I focused too much on shifting positions to keep my bum happy and believe my enjoyment will only increase if I can eliminate that annoying factor.

So thanks again to all that have shared your thoughts on this topic - I very much benefited from it!

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just got back from my ride out to Russell to have my old seat (built in 02 and 200,000+ miles on it) refurbed and another one built fresh. As I told Jay at Russell after a 140 mile test ride -

I've got a bad case of 'Happy Butt'! :D

I rode back 650 miles day 1, 877 miles day 2, and 750 miles day 3 to get back to the Holler. Still have a 'Happy Butt'. I met the whole crew including the owner. What a great bunch of folks! BTW, they could not remember ever rebuilding one that had that many miles on it. ;-) It was still good but now it is a lot better.

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I enjoy the backroads and the people of America... I have over 600,000 miles since I began LD trips in 1974.
Current ST1300 has 120,000... I estimate 8,000 is Interstate... I am a solo rider 95% of the time
The Iron Butt thing seems stupid and unsafe to me... smell the flowers, huh?
Point is you are not obnoxious... I am not either, it's just an opinion... different strokes, different folks

If you stay away from urban areas and the Interstate people are less wary, more friendly, more talkative, more interested in each others lives
Here is my seldom updated blog "America's Still out There" just a taste
http://mtengr.blogspot.com/

Bike
1984 Shadow 700
The ONLY correct answer is, "do what you enjoy!"

I would say "try it first!" a LD ride on a bike is very different then in a car in my mind. Get off the main highway, do the back roads and ride as much as you enjoy. For me thats from the time I get up till i feel I'm ready for bed. 600-1000 miles a day. I do trips to see/experience stuff I haven't seen before or to see/experience things want to see again. For others stopping and looking at the sites is what they enjoy.

Like I said the ONLY right way is the way YOU enjoy....

Top Bottom