What is the appeal of long distance trips?

Bike
1984 Shadow 700
Whelp it's been just over 8 months since I posed the question - thought I'd give an update.

I have since purchased a 2008 ST1300A - just under 29k miles, in fantastic shape - it actually belonged to another forum member here boSTon - it arrived in December of 15. I simply adore the motorcycle and truly enjoy riding all distances with it!

Completed a 1k trek to my brother's in Manhattan KS. My local brother with his road king went with me. We stopped midway in Denver on the way there and back. It was frankly amazing. As I came into Manhattan, the temps were up to 106 but I was expecting it, had a camelback filled with icewater sitting in my tank bag and kept me hydrated. I also kept my leather jacket, gloves and full face helmet on the whole time and I do believe it helped protect me from the broiling wind (even though many people thought I was crazy). Spent almost a week in KS touring the local towns with my brothers, eating at unique one-off diners and just soaking in the sites.

I am very, very happy with the ST and I love riding - especially long distances. I did discover that I must get a Russell day long, as I found that I focused too much on shifting positions to keep my bum happy and believe my enjoyment will only increase if I can eliminate that annoying factor.

So thanks again to all that have shared your thoughts on this topic - I very much benefited from it!
I just got back from my ride out to Russell to have my old seat (built in 02 and 200,000+ miles on it) refurbed and another one built fresh. As I told Jay at Russell after a 140 mile test ride -

I've got a bad case of 'Happy Butt'! :D

I rode back 650 miles day 1, 877 miles day 2, and 750 miles day 3 to get back to the Holler. Still have a 'Happy Butt'. I met the whole crew including the owner. What a great bunch of folks! BTW, they could not remember ever rebuilding one that had that many miles on it. ;-) It was still good but now it is a lot better.
Sorry, just read this... good for you! I love my Russel seat too!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I am glad to read that there are other people that "get it".

I take a couple 2-3000 mile trips per year. I am hooked. I just wish I had time for more.

I love seeing and meeting the "Backroad America" in the small towns off the beaten path.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I enjoy long distance trips on a bike, but having plenty of time to enjoy the trip is key for me. Part of the fun is taking an alternate road if wanted, and not pushing each day to the limits. I like to ride each day the distance that is comfortable for that day. I don't want to ride 500-600 miles every day.

I usually trip with a friend or two/three. I find the comradery a big part of the appeal. I've done a couple of trips by myself, and enjoyed the freedom and challenge of that as well, taking back roads and seeing new places. As others mentioned, there is a sense of adventure while traveling on a bike. There are some inherent limitations vs traveling via car, and that also is part of the fun.

What I don't enjoy so much is the ride home, or at least the last half of it. This is usually when time/deadlines become an issue, and living in the DFW area, I'm riding back into traffic, usually tired, hot, and ready to be home. I find these last segments the least enjoyable part of my riding trips.

Bike
92 ST1100
Tis' about the ride, not the destination...........having that attitude willl carry you on two wheels unlimited distances;).

STOC #
To me, the Journey itself IS the destination. Frequently I never even get to where I start out for. I like a "Penny Tour" (not sure if I invented that term) where I get 50? worth of pennies. At each stop, I flip one. Heads I turn left, tails I turn right, can't see it, I go straight. I never know where I'll end up.
What if it keeps coming up heads? You'll be going in circles all day. :D

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Been thinking on this for quite a while.
When I began taking flying lessons, I had the choice between a PT17 Stearman, PT19 , PT22, a Ryan ST and a Cessna 150 (brand new at the time). I went with the open cockpit aircraft. That's still what I prefer. Something about the noises, smells, temperature changes, wind, weather, constant alertness, pre flight routines, post flight routines...
Choice of car vs motorcycle?
Nothing more rational than a set of feelings. Logic, comfort, advancing technology, convenience....have nothing to do with it.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Long distance is a fever to me. Took my first long one in 1979 on my first Gold Wing (77). Wife and I rode around Lake Superior from Marquette, MI. Been a lot of them since then. 1984 took 30 days-2 bikes and 2 boys-rode from Dayton, OH to DC to Bar Habor Maine, Blue Nose to Nova Scotia around Cabots Trail back through Maine, Vermont, New York into Canada to the Soo and back to Dayton. Rained one day. Carole and I have been on many long ones on our two bikes many times since. We have ridden our 2 bikes in all the lower 48 states, most of Canada, and I've ridden in Italy.

It's just something that we enjoyed. After my accident in 2013, Carole said she was done riding so now I go alone on long ones but just not as enjoyable as it was with her. But I will continue to go.

My ultimate achievement is to accumulate 1 million miles on two wheels. I'm a little above 950,000 and counting.

Gary

Bike
2002 ST1100
My wife and I have traveled by car all our married lives (35 years), and I have ridden bikes for many years. But in the last five years, we have started taking multi day trips on the bike. There is no comparison. In the car we seem to be totally goal minded. Get on the interstate and make maximum miles to get to the destination. But on the bike we enjoy the travel. Stop to see sites and we will turn down a byway at a whim. Even when we have a destination and time we have to be there, we never just charge down the interstate.
I am not saying you will be the same. In fact, some people seem to like interstate riding. But you may find that a bike changes the way you travel.
I have come to realize that the challenge of the logistics of traveling by bike is a large part of the pleasure I get out of it.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Just returned from a 1600 mile round trip with a visit to see the grand kids. It’s a personal thing for me, combination of freedom, unbound to daily living and enjoying the independence riding offers.

Blessed enough to afford road trips - camping, hotel it or couch when available Been riding for well over 50 years and through those years have learned how to invest in good gear, and machine. Mods made to get the ride I wanted has been a learning experience along the way. The ST has my heart and loyalty for LD trips for many reasons, while on the road some things just stand out

Dependable and durable, keeps on giving regardless of weather or road conditions

Performance in handling and power when needed for twisties, open road, elevations and avoiding traffic situations. Often find myself praising and patting my STs tank after getting through some serious twisties or out running traffic - just thrilled with the performance and response

the morning freshness and low autumn sun showing my silhouette on the road or
embankment

visions of our great land that will never be photographed the way I see it from my visor.

The heightened awareness of surroundings and conditions. It’s amazing what is to be seen and reminds me to keep eyes and senses at the ready

meeting good people along the way renewing faith in fellow man. Finding great places to eat - discovering some not so great.

I go as far as I can sometimes tank to tank and others stopping along the way - like others have done well over 800 miles in a day and far less when in the area of interest. It’s definitely a personal thing for each of us.
Wishing all a safe and memorable ride no matter where you go.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As @nick.kohl de-mummified this 7yo thread today, it popped up under my What's New banner... so the question is / was "What is the appeal of long distance trips?"
Without desiring to appear blunt, curt, rude, or unconversational, it's almost a rhetorical question, no?
Kinda like, "if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand, OR... IYKYK.
Still, it interests me to see the respondents through the years, and I wonder to myself... whatever happened to this one? where did this one go...?

I have not read the whole thread so I am probably repeating almost everything. I tell others that when you ride you are going in the country and when you drive a car your going through it, as said in one response you can smell everything like mowed lawn and all, you do become part of the country.
The other thing that happens frequently is being asked where you are from and where you are going which tends to start conversations easily. I had never seen the Devils Tower on one trip. We spent several hours in the parking lot talking to a couple that had ridden in from Michigan on matching Burgmans. I did see the Tower but the people that I have talked to is more valuable to me than the destination and views..
I try to make the trips flexible to remain open to modification to allow for different changes. The mileage varies if needed and I resist making a high mileage day plans just for interacting with everything.
I have met more interesting fellow travelers on a bike than ever in a car. My stories could fill a book about the lives I have been exposed to and interacted with.
I also do not know any car owners that stop at a car dealership in another city to look and strike up conversations Like motorcycle riders do to look at new bikes, tell and hear stories.

Top Bottom