What is the appeal of long distance trips?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
What! STOC events have schedules?! :eek:
OK, well, maybe sometimes something that might be construed to be a schedule, I guess.

I would agree to not include those attendees of any event who trailer their bikes to that event. But still there are a lot more LD riders attending other than STOC events. And even a lot of riders who just ride multi-day trips and don't attend any events.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I would suggest reading the writeups in the Ride Report section of the forum. If those don't resonate with you, then maybe it's not for you. Many of the reports capture the sense of freedom, discovery and adventure that touring brings.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
For me it's about freedom. I typically plan my first few nights and then wing it from there. No meetings, no commitments, no stress.
I don't do much sight seeing, I just ride, all day every day. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
You adjusted the chain every 300 miles? Not my definition of reliable.
Never rode one did you?
Compared with the other bikes available at the time, 300 miles between chain adjustments was a whole new world. It didn't consume significant oil...or gas, didn't shake parts off, or crack them from vibration, didn't leak oil from every pore, and you couldn't watch the paint fade while it was sitting out in the sunshine. So YES, it was reliable for the time.

TPadden

Tom Padden
..... But still there are a lot more LD riders attending other than STOC events. And even a lot of riders who just ride multi-day trips and don't attend any events.
Agreed, but that wasn't really my point. I was pointing out that out of 18,000+ members here, a very small percentage have even ridden to an out of state event. My point was there are VERY, VERY few motorcycle riders that are actually attracted to LD riding. Percentage wise there just aren't a lot of LD riders out there, unless of course, you consider any ride over 250 miles a long distance :D.

:tp1:

Last edited:

RCS

Agreed, but that wasn't really my point. I was pointing out that out of 18,000+ members here, a very small percentage have even ridden to an out of state event. My point was there are VERY, VERY few motorcycle riders that are actually attracted to LD riding. Percentage wise there just aren't a lot of LD riders out there, unless of course, you consider any ride over 250 miles a long distance :D.

Think it is time for a ST-Owners Poll.

Provide your definition of a long distance ride and other ride lengths and ask for people to vote. At least you will get a sense of what percentage of ST-Owner members are long distance riders that may not show up to STOC events. I am one and my day rides are 600 miles.

Most people do not purchase a ST1300 to ride for coffee unless it is in another State.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Think it is time for a ST-Owners Poll.

Provide your definition of a long distance ride and other ride lengths and ask for people to vote. ......
Don't need a poll; a LD rider sets out with a goal to ride a specific distance in a fairly specific time. I have never started any ride with the intent to ride a distance. Even Raymond and I pretty much had no idea how far we'd go each day or where we'd stop. I did a couple LD rides when I worked and had to get back at a specific time but that was long, long ago. I've made many coast to coast rides but I never started out with any daily distance goals - I'm not a LD rider but I know one when I see one (the multiple GPS's, filthy aerostitch, and aux fuel tank are easy to spot). :D.

Last edited:

RCS

Don't need a poll; a LD rider sets out with a goal to ride a specific distance in a fairly specific time. I have never started any ride with the intent to ride a distance. Even Raymond and I pretty much had no idea how far we'd go each day or where we'd stop. I did a couple LD rides when I worked and had to get back at a specific time but that was long, long ago. I've made many coast to coast rides but I never started out with any daily distance goals - I'm not a LD rider but I know one when I see one (the multiple GPS's, filthy aerostitch, and aux fuel tank are easy to spot). :D.
Okay. I see the issue. My definition of a LD rider is a little more general.

LD rider in general = long distance trips = riding often across several States in a short period of time = estimated 10,000+ riders in U.S.

LD rider at the extreme = Iron Butt Rally participant = 10 days of riding over 11,000 miles against the clock = estimated 70+ riders participating in U.S.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2013.cfm

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I consider 500+ miles a day a LD rider. Your financial and work situation dictates how many and how often you can put those days together. I love LD riding but I don't do rallies because I don't want to do the paperwork and check points.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Getting back to the original question:

Re: What is the appeal of long distance trips?

1. Having fun!
2. Riding new roads
3. Riding favorite roads again
4. Seeing old friends
5. Making new friends
6. Riding
8. Campfires
9. Something else
10. Having more fun!

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Well, I bought my ST 1100 with the intent to do long distance riding. That was two years ago. Prior to that I was riding my 84 Shadow 750 for 5 years and the most I did was about 80 to about 100 miles round trips out to see the in-laws. It is a night and day difference on a longer ride on the ST. The wife absolutely loves the ST for comfort for a passenger and I appreciate the lower vibration from the V4 as opposed to the Twin. ( I kept the Shadow for one up around town - I still love that bike - but on the highway the ST is the thing. )

We went for a few longer rides the first year for weekend getaways and this year attended our first STOC get-together (ONSToc 9) which was half a day's ride there and back and a few full days of riding drop and sweep. So we are easing into it. I would go for a trans-continental ride on either bike tomorrow but if I want company we will be taking the ST. ( I would also have to quit my day job but that is another story)

So to answer your question, I am pretty much of the same school of thought as most here; I like riding and going further lets me do more of what I like. It is well described in "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" but everyone here has pretty well laid it out. It's a connection to the environment you are passing through and the interesting things you can do with angular momentum leaning into a good corner. It is a bit cheating with a bike like the ST cuz it is awfully easy to drag the center stand without having to put a knee down. But even if that's not your thing (and for many it isn't) You are so much more engaged in what you are doing. We all like the twistys so that means not on the slab if you can manage it. But don't expect to set any records your first time out.

I gave up riding when I had kids and right or wrong it was twenty years I missed out doing one of the things I love. So now I plan to do more and longer trips each year. You will know pretty quickly if this is a thing for you or not, and if you buy a used bike you can probably get your investment back if you decide it is not for you. I hope you don't though, I like company on the road, no matter how far you have ridden that day.

Looking forward to meeting you on the road some time.

Ride safe.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I'd say for most there really isn't much attraction in taking long trips on a motocycle; there are already more responses to the question than riders who show up at most SToc events. Less than a tenth of a percent of board members actually ride to ST-Owner events.

Don't think it has much to do with not having the time, I've always taken long motorcycle trips, even when I had young kids and only 2 day weekends. Riding distances is really a solitary hobby and like any time consuming hobby, golf, fishing, etc. either you enjoy it or not. If you enjoy it you make time and do it, if not you make excuses to do it "next time" or do something else to personally enjoy a motorcycle hobby.

I hate golf; no explanation is going to make me enjoy it :).

I'd have to disagree with you on one point. The number of people who wish to take part in organized group events bears no relationship to any attraction for distance riding.
I agree that riding distances is a solitary hobby, and the way you feel about golf is the way I feel about group rides.
Plus for some of us, it's not just about what we alone want. I'm more than willing to attend STOC events (may not do the group riding thing, but the social side of it would be good to spend time with others of a shared interest), but my wife is a lot less confident in her riding ability. If I go without her, she feels bad, and slightly jealous. So I don't go (yet). It has nothing to do with not liking distance riding.

I find it more difficult to take longer trips now than I used to, and while I will admit that lethargy plays it's part to a certain extent, it's also that there is much more going on in my life now, and the wants and needs of other people are a much bigger influence than they used to be, both in time, and in financial resources.
So I would qualify your statement to read that if you enjoy it, you make as much time as you can for it, and do it. When you get to do it, you really relish it, for you don't know when you'll next get the chance.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I'd have to disagree with you on one point. The number of people who wish to take part in organized group events......... I'm more than willing to attend STOC events (may not do the group riding thing, but the social side of it ......
SToc events, organized events? Attend one or two there is no other side than social.

Bike
2013 st 1300
The main reason I got a motorcycle was to do long trips. I guess it's one of those things you either get or don't. I like doing them in a car as well but I don't feel as ..engaged?? as on a motorcycle.

For me, riding across the prairies, thru wyoming and montana, to Sept isle and Gaspe Que, the mountains and all the other places were some of the greatest moments of my life.

I think the appeal for me is once I'm "on the trip" it is the greatest feeling ever (it takes me a day or 2 to settle into a trip). I love it because for the next 2-4 weeks I will doing the the things I love most in the world. I always travel alone, which puts some off, but is the most liberating feeling for me.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I'm not a LD rider but I know one when I see one (the multiple GPS's, filthy aerostitch, and aux fuel tank are easy to spot). :D.
I just did the Void Rally last weekend and I don't have any of those three items. Although the aux fuel tank may happen in the near future.

Top Bottom