SMC boot questions

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Hi gang,
I'm a new ST1300 owner. I've read enough about the SMC issues, I'm probably sufficiently paranoid at this point.
So, I'd like to check out the current condition under the boot. I've read that I can use thumb and index finger to pinch the boot and wiggle it off correct?
Once I get it out of the groove in the cylinder and inspect stuff, I can put a little silicon lube on the rim. Does it go back in place relatively easily or is there a trick to it as well?
thanks. Appreciate all the knowledge on the forum.
-gary

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Im also new to the ST1300, but what the heck is the SMC issue? Never heard of it or seen any other posts.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
There's a few threads on the smc. Some have had them corrode and stick causing the rear brake to drag.
08 and up has a slightly different drain port presumably to improve this.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Here are the pages from the ST1300 Service Manual that describe the Secondary Master Cylinder, aka, SMC. The SMC is part of the the left front brake caliper assembly.

Attachments

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here are the pages from the ST1300 Service Manual that describe the Secondary Master Cylinder, aka, SMC. The SMC is part of the the left front brake caliper assembly.
Nicely done. When new to the forum many of the abbreviations (more than a few being non-standard) used by the cool kids make no immediate sense. Lots of oh that's what they mean moments.

Being fairly new myself I'll just volunteer that the 1300's Secondary Master Cylinder (I'm guessing Chris has a 1300 too) can a) lock up causing the rear brakes to lock the rear wheel and b) is the source of trapped air when the brakes are not properly bled leading to impaired braking ability.

Other members will no doubt fill in blanks and/or correct me. There are a lot of thread regarding the SMC.

Nicely done. When new to the forum many of the abbreviations (more than a few being non-standard) used by the cool kids make no immediate sense. Lots of oh that's what they mean moments.

Being fairly new myself I'll just volunteer that the 1300's Secondary Master Cylinder (I'm guessing Chris has a 1300 too) can a) lock up causing the rear brakes to lock the rear wheel and b) is the source of trapped air when the brakes are not properly bled leading to impaired braking ability.

Other members will no doubt fill in blanks and/or correct me. There are a lot of thread regarding the SMC.
Thanks for the info. Yes you are correct, I have a new to me ST1300 since last Wednesday.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Thanks 4jranch. I'm reluctant to attempt the peeling back. I've had the bike a couple of weeks and finished some maintenance this weekend. Replaced coolant, clutch and brake fluid, new battery. Next weekend oil and filter. The brake bleeding didn't quite go as planned as documented in the thread I posted about the proportional control valve not bleeding. Glad I resolved it and got all the tupperware back on. :)

Top Bottom