timming belt change

OP
OP
monty8563
Bike
st1100aw/abs/tcs/98
Hi,
Just got the rest of t/belt in and done just need to put back together will be changeing all water hoses also just orderd full clutch kit from fowlers (Honda) but it out of stock for 2 weeks same as dave silvers will take the time to do some small jobs like paint frame ect.
Also found a nail in rear tyre so will plug that as a newish tyre, checked s/arm for rust will repaint, plus going to drill small hole in to the top so oil/ wax oil can be sparyed in from time to time as they rust from the inside out.
Will up load some pics soon.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats on deciding to do all that work yourself. Half the job is having the courage and/or stupidity to make the decision to do the work yourself. :)

But seriously, this work isn't that hard even if a person has never done it before, if you have the tools, manual, and some mechanical ability.

Double or triple check those timing marks for the timing belt. It's a little tricky getting them all lined up correctly. And once you think you are good to go, check them again.

The genuine Honda manual has a lot of helpful info. and a lot of pics, too !!!

BTW, it is possible to rebuild your water pump and save some pounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
monty8563
Bike
st1100aw/abs/tcs/98
UP DATE,
Clutch has now turned up from Fowlers (Honda) been on back order for just over a week, so now putting the new one in at the same time dropped the sump pan to clean the filter which looks like it not been done for years also fitting new gacket at the same time im replacing the oil sight glass seal as this was weeping a bit, head stock all looks good will finish with new plug and air filter and balance the carbs tappete sound fine, hope to have it all done by end of the weekend,

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Thanks for the perspective. I have the manual, but are there any articles or videos you would recommend on the procedure? Helpful things to watch out for? I will also mention that I have had the bike for about 1,000 miles, but I got it with 114,700 and the PO had never changed the timing belt, so it's quite a bit past due. I've been nervous about it since I got the bike in October.
This is the procedure I used, lots of decent pictures in the article too. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?41203-Timing-belt-replacement-simplified
About the only problems I had was wrestling the rad out and getting it back in. Also others have also had a bit of problem getting the cover off but a little cursing and then modifying it before putting it back on works! :)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
You may want to clean out the radiator by filling it with
some white vinegar and letting it soak for a while.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
White vinegar (5% acetic acid) isn't going to do much, unless left a loooong time. A better bet is some hydrochloric acid to remove scale, also sold as muriatic acid.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd suggest to visit a local HAVC centre...
They use specific de-scaler solvents which won't harm copper, aluminium or plastics when servicing the HEX of chillers or the guts of air humidifiers... just saying... ;-)

OP
OP
monty8563
Bike
st1100aw/abs/tcs/98
Up date,
Got all the bike done and rebuilt and thanks for the pointers and yes i did flush/ clean the rad, took bike out for a run today and all seems fine!! BUT got a nail in rear tyre it stayed up but when home got my tyre repair kit out remove rear wheel to start plugging hole and BLOODY HELL the swinging arm and rear flange is shot!!
Did the repair to tyre now all this work i just done and only took bike on a 30 mile test run it off the road again, no good used s/arms around and welding would be a big job on this one so will have to think about what would be best , m.o.t due in mid apil,
**** happens as was planning a long road trip.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
OP
OP
monty8563
Bike
st1100aw/abs/tcs/98
Thanks for the info george, will talk to them about a shipping cost BUT I'm not to sure about the inports tax into the uk seems a bit complexs, have found a new one from Honda but its ?500 ith the v,a,t

OP
OP
monty8563
Bike
st1100aw/abs/tcs/98
Hi all, ( update)
Have been looking around for a good used swinging arm here in the uk , they are around repaired, none repaired ect ect but they go for top money ?250 up wards, SO have just taken delivery of a new one from dave silvers, first one i had to return as it was damaged, anyway got on with the job in hand fitting the dam thing seems straight forward, but looked like i would have to remove the petrol tank to give more room WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN the rear of the tank is not good its rusty and looks like the metal is starting to peel which will go into holes, so new thank on its way.
It looks like buy the time i have finished i would have rebuild the whole bike, and the cost is also mounting it must be down to the fairring it just hinds all the crap bits, anyway so far iv done,
1. Rebuilt slave clutch unit
2. Fitted new clutch line
3.rear disc and pads
4.cam belt and pulley
5.new swinging arm c/w new bearings
6.replacememet petrol tanks
7.brake ligth switch
8 f/ tyre
9.rear dive unit
10, rear drive flange
11. New honda clutch unit ( all plates replaced)
Iam hoping this will be the end, and that i can get back to riding the bike, and not working in the workshop BUT hay im finding my way around the bike, will upload some pics when done, ride safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
monty8563
Bike
st1100aw/abs/tcs/98
Hi all, ( update)
Have been looking around for a good used swinging arm here in the uk , they are around repaired, none repaired ect ect but they go for top money ?250 up wards, SO have just taken delivery of a new one from dave silvers, first one i had to return as it was damaged, anyway got on with the job in hand fitting the dam thing seems straight forward, but looked like i would have to remove the petrol tank to give more room WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN the rear of the tank is not good its rusty and looks like the metal is starting to peel which will go into holes, so new thank on its way.
It looks like buy the time i have finished i would have rebuild the whole bike, and the cost is also mounting it must be down to the fairring it just hinds all the crap bits, anyway so far iv done,
1. Rebuilt slave clutch unit
2. Fitted new clutch line
3.rear disc and pads
4.cam belt and pulley
5.new swinging arm c/w new bearings
6.replacememet petrol tanks
7.brake ligth switch
8 f/ tyre
9.rear dive unit
10, rear drive flange
Iam hoping this will be the end, and that i can get back to riding the bike, and not working in the workshop BUT hay im finding my way around the bike, will upload some pics when done, ride safe.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...it must be down to the fairring it just hinds all the crap bits...
Sorry to say so, but those issues are owned to the location, thus climate, thus riding habits there...
Everyone tends to keep riding throughout the mild winters, ignoring the brine on the roads/m-ways, then neglecting to wash that off, etc... so over the years decades the damages just pile up and get extensive...
Bizarre but UK based STs mostly look like been on the bottom of the ocean...

Top Bottom