I Did It, SS 1000

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
As a few of my Central Texas riding buddies know, I had gotten a bug in my butt to give the Saddle Sore 1000 a try. I realize that for a bunch of riders, about 60,000 worldwide, this isn't a big deal. However, for this old man that's had a broken neck, a broken back, 3 knee surgeries, 14 closed head injuries, shot 3 times, 8 screws in my shoulder and walked away from 2 planes that quit flying for me, it was and is a big deal.

I attempted the ride last week, only to fail when I ran head first into 200 miles of flooding rains that surprised everybody, including the forecasters. I received a mildly irritated butt for my 527 mile effort.

I plotted the easiest and fastest route I could. Dripping Springs, Tx. to the El Paso area. The vast majority of the trip allowed for 75-85 MPH legal speeds. The route took me from Dripping Springs to Ozona Tx. on I10 then southwest to the Big Bend country onto Hwy 90 west to Van Horn back onto I10 west towards El Paso. I turned around at Sierra Blanca, 535 miles. Now for the ride east via I10 all the way to San Antonio where i would turn north on I35 for the final leg home to Kyle, for a total of 1067 miles. Piece of Cake.

I chose to ride my 1994 GL 1500 instead of the ST 1100 because of the Utopia backrest and cruise control. I knew this would cause me a few extra fuel stops, but what's a couple more 15 minute stops, us old guys need to pee more often anyway. Turns out that because of decreased range and distances between towns, it resulted in 12 fuel stops. For those keeping score, at 15 minutes per, that equates to 180 minutes or 3 hours just buying gas. I figured with my route and speed limits the 1067 miles was doable in about 15.5 hours. With 3 hours of fuel stops, my math told me I was looking at a 18.5 hour ride, I could do that. So why the heck did it take me 21.5 hours?

A few details are in order. In the first 2 hours i had to make to 3 unscheduled stops, the first was to add layers, I hit 43 degree air instead of the 60 degree forecasted. Then about 15 miles east of Harper i had a near miss with a deer.
It was pitch dark and I had dimmed my big lights for an on coming vehicle, y'all know that moment, can't really see anything. The car slams into the deer and luckily the driver swerves right instead of left off the road head on into the ditch. I stop to help. Within a minute a fellow stops, he is a paramedic on his way to work, the injuries are superficial. I'm on my way, confidence is shaken, I know i have about 8 hours of night driving through deer country to complete my trip. About 40 minutes later I10 is stopped just south of Junction, what appears to be a 1969 El Camino is burning to the ground.

The journey progresses nicely down through the canyon country towards the Big Bend area. You have heard of Marfa Tx., well I'm pretty sure i lost another 30 or 40 minutes around there while being abducted and probed by aliens, no actual proof. However, it seems to be the only logical reason for why it took me so long to reach Van Horn.

Pretty soon I'm pointed east, homeward bound, nothing but 85 MPH on an uninterrupted I10 all the way to San Antonio. Wrong. I had a planned fuel stop in Balmorhea, however, no matter what google says there is currently no fuel available there. A quick search tells me I'm in deep weeds, nearest gasoline either direction is right at my mileage limit. Onward to Fort Stockton, I know it's going to be really close. i dropped my speed to 70 to reduce my RPMs to under 3000. I turned off the cruise knowing it tends to use a bit more fuel than a gently caressed throttle, I clutch and coast at every opportunity. The reserve light comes on, 42 miles to go. I made it. It appears I had about .1 of a gallon left.

Now I can fly, 85 MPH for the next 380 miles. Wrong again Tonto, The "powers to be" neglected to note the 60 miles of 1 lane ground up repaving project that was to be my 45-50 MPH asphalt dust chocking personal nightmare. It was like driving in fog. I finally arrived at Ozona where time was taken to wash all the crap off and out of my eyes.

Now i really could roll on to San Antonio, what was there to be concerned about, other than 5 hours of night driving through the heart of Texas deer country. But it's not like anyone ever hits one of them. One last note, somewhere south of Kerrville, I'm pretty dang sure I spotted a couple of Chupacabras dancing on the shoulder of the highway.

That's how you turn a 18.5 hour trip into a 21.5 hours.

I DID IT, a saddle sore 1000. And yes, the bug is still biting, I want more.

STing,
Tim Harkins
Kyle, Texas

s

i

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations on your achievement. You are right. The LD bug can bite hard. Have fun and plan another one!

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Congrats! You'll relive it all over again once your certificate arrives!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Congrats, the first one is a real accomplishment. What's next? ;^)

OP
OP
STing
Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
Congrats, the first one is a real accomplishment. What's next? ;^)
I suppose I need to get all the paperwork sent and wait for verification. I now have some appreciation why some of you think nothing of a 400 mile round trip RTE. I appreciate all the kind responses. I feel like a million bucks, only issue is that would be 1970 dollars.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Congrats....I've thought of doing this, but it never seems the right time. I guess there never is a "right" time..you just have to take off and hope! You definitely put up with some challenges, and overcame them. Wishing you luck on your next adventure!

lti_57

Above the center of the Earth
Bike
95 ST 1100
Damm son you are a walking Miracle
grew up in EL Paso and the surrounding area you are talking about,
brings back some memories.

Top Bottom