I Did It, SS 1000

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Hey STing, big congrats on your accomplishment.

About 2 years ago I was involved in a pretty severe motorcycle accident that required 9 surgeries, a month lodging in the hospital, and 5 more months in a wheelchair at home recovering. The day I was given the "all clear" I ordered the parts needed to fix the bike, got her running, and planned a ss1000.
My better half decided she wanted in on the action too. So we head off 2up. We got just around 600 miles in 12 hours when she called me on the intercom and said she couldn't continue due to severe back pain. So we stopped and got a room, slept for a few hours and headed home. We did the thousand miles, but in a total of 30 hours . Oh, forgot to mention that was on a Honda cbr600f4i.
Now, you've gone and got that bug biting me again to attempt it, but on my st1300. Should be a breeze compared to the cbr which only holds a little over 4 gallons. We'll see if she will join me or let me fly solo.

Thanks for the inspiration, and congratulations.
Mike

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The things that immediately stand out in my mind, in remembering my trip,,, are the things that did not go according to plan. And, in the order that I experienced them,,, they are:
- The bike started fuel starving, due to tank contamination.
- Running out of gas on the freeway, because of the first point.
- Stints limited to 160km's between refueling,, as per above.
- Getting lost, and that costing me nearly 2 hours (I hate my gps).
- Sleep time being reduced by nearly 2 hours to compensate for that.
- Not much decent food available after 10:30pm.
- Bike alarm going off at the 3:00am roll out.
- Black as sin,,, road isolation, in the dead of night,, no cellphone,, little gas.
- Managing the fuel and oil issues against the ticking clock.
- Serious numb bum,,, and dehydration.
- Feeling a little frazzled as I had to race a bit to my finish point (don't like that).

Much of my difficulity would have been avoided if I had not been riding a 32 year old bike. It was only a few days after returning from my nearly 5000km trip, that I decided to step into this century and get the ST. Just to balance the equation,,, I am going to think about the things I enjoyed most on the ride,, and maybe make another list. Cat'

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Congrats STing.
You gave me the bug.
Off for my attempt this weekend. Temps will be in the 30's brrrr.
Wish me luck!

OP
OP
STing
Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
Good luck and have a great time. My first try ended with a mildly irritated butt and about 530 miles. At my age I hate to wish away time but I'm chomping at the bit for a little more daylight hours to try the 1500 ride. Wish I was going with you.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Thanks buddy.
Hoping for safety and success (in that order).
Company would be nice. Maybe one day we'll cross paths and do the 1500.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks buddy.
Hoping for safety and success (in that order).
Company would be nice. Maybe one day we'll cross paths and do the 1500.
Be safe and good luck! Looking forward to a report with some pics. What's your route?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Be safe and good luck! Looking forward to a report with some pics. What's your route?
Thanks paul.
I'll do my best with pics and i'm not as good as STing (the OP) with the report but i'll do my best.
Originally it was supposed to be from FT Lauderdale to N. Carolina but I had to scrap that route due to cold temps (in the low 20's)
I decided to go west along the panhandle. From my location its 521 miles to Marianna FL so a round trip should be a safe 1,042 miles.
The temps there only go down to 30's...only... lol
Purchased us some gerbing heated gear for the occasion and last installed and tested new powerlet plugs. We are riding 2up.
I plan to depart either late night Fri around midnight to arrive in Marianna around 11am or leave 5 am to arrive around 4pm. I am checking the hourly forecasts there to avoid the coldest temps.
Mike

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sounds like a good route but wow, 2 up?... that's a pretty bold quest. Stay alert and enjoy your trip. Heated gear is great!

Top Bottom