Motorcyclist apparently purposely wrecked by guy in cage

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I saw the news report on WFAA here in Dallas. The guy is banged up with some road rash but otherwise ok, they said that the woman was in ICU. That was Sunday night's news. I wonder if there has been any update to her status. It's a shame that they didn't wear any more protection other than a helmet. It appeared that they both had short sleeve shirts and jeans. A good jacket and/or pants would have gone a long way to prevent their injuries.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A good jacket and/or pants would have gone a long way to prevent their injuries.
I can attest to that, I have crash-tested both skin and motorcycle jacket, the jacket does a much better job than the skin when it comes to road rash! :eek:4:

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I read on one of the news station sites that she has been moved from ICU to a regular room. Broken wrist and some deep cuts on her arms. Sounds like other than that she is doing well.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I saw the news report on WFAA here in Dallas. The guy is banged up with some road rash but otherwise ok, they said that the woman was in ICU. That was Sunday night's news. I wonder if there has been any update to her status. It's a shame that they didn't wear any more protection other than a helmet. It appeared that they both had short sleeve shirts and jeans. A good jacket and/or pants would have gone a long way to prevent their injuries.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemies - Everyone here knows how to reduce possible crash injuries yet we still insist on talking about the mini-skirt at a rape scene.

If they'd only have taken their car........ :eek::

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Sometimes we are our own worst enemies - Everyone here knows how to reduce possible crash injuries yet we still insist on talking about the mini-skirt at a rape scene.

If they'd only have taken their car........ :eek::
Or stayed home

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
yet we still insist on talking about the mini-skirt at a rape scene.
I said no such thing. I did not imply that they had it coming to them. All I said was that it was a shame that they chose to ride without better protection. I was not assigning any blame. It was merely a factual statement (they didn't have any more protection than a helmet) and an observation (their injuries might not have been as bad had they been wearing better protection).

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Scary thing is that this type of behavior occurs every day. Bicyclists and pedestrians are frequent targets locally. This occurrence was just caught on camera.
Just in on the local news...the driver filmed has been charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and is in jail under a $75,000 bond. Apparently he thinks his 'bee sting' excuse is viable...he's sticking with that one.

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Apparently he thinks his 'bee sting' excuse is viable...he's sticking with that one.
Before the approaching cameraman says anything, the first words out of the car driver's mouth as he exits his car are, "he shouldn't pass in a no passing zone." Not, "I was stung by a wasp" or "Oh my, are they ok?" His first words were, "he shouldn't pass in a no passing zone [so I taught him a lesson]." Clearly intentional!

I wonder if the driver has seen the whole video and knows that his words were recorded clearly?

v8-7

Site Supporter
I hope the guy had insurance , as he appears to be a dumb-ss and probably has no assets ..not to mention he has been in jail before and has multiple prior convictions .

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Before the approaching cameraman says anything, the first words out of the car driver's mouth as he exits his car are, "he shouldn't pass in a no passing zone." Not, "I was stung by a wasp" or "Oh my, are they ok?" His first words were, "he shouldn't pass in a no passing zone [so I taught him a lesson]." Clearly intentional!

I wonder if the driver has seen the whole video and knows that his words were recorded clearly?
I certainly agree. If I were sitting on a jury my first thought would have been he does appear like he was stung. I've been stung and seen others stung and none of them would have calmly gotten out of a vehicle like nothing had happened.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I wonder how much safer we would be if every vehicle was fitted with a dash camera? If we all new that how we behaved could be recalled easily, would it change our behaviour. All modern vehicles, including motorcycles have a little recorder that can be easily accessed (but not so easily read) after an accident. All the GPS's we now use are recording our behaviour, some at sub second intervals. Insurance companies now frequently subpoena this information to support their cases after accidents.

Red light cameras have a bad reputation in the US as they are often used as revenue generator. In Europe they have had a significant impact on reducing speeds.

Never mind, soon we shall all be driven by Elon, Google or Toyota and the option to misbehave will be removed.

Bike
07 ST1300
Does it not bother anyone that the bike driver did not run to his girl? Bloody hell if you are going to risk her neck at those speeds KNOWING that bad people are out there. I say bad people because the forum will not let me describe the bee sting victim properly.
I don't know. But I am not very enamored of the bike driver and I do feel he is responsible for his passengers safety. And maybe he should at least PRETEND he gives a damn that she is lying in a ditch in pain.
NOT excusing the crazy old man. But there ARE crazy old men out there. We know this. Now the biker does too.
My girl trusts me when we are riding. We wear gear. Her safety is my responsibility. Just like on a boat. Lunatic car drivers are part of the game. If I were her father and saw that film I would finish that kid. Or want to anyway.
Sorry..I feel better now. OK I don't. The whole thing sucks.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Does it not bother anyone that the bike driver did not run to his girl?
I give him a pass, I mean he just went down at 60+ MPH (my guess). I don't expect him to run anywhere. From what I saw in the video he got up, took off his helmet and was gathering himself when the guy filming went up and told him he got it all on video. The rider then is not seen as the guy with the video goes to the car to get the plate on film, he then goes and picks up the wrecked bike. After that he returns back to the downed rider and by that time the bike driver was right next to his passenger. I mean the guy was back to his passenger within 2 minutes, that's acceptable in my opinion considering the situation.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
He said he wouldn't apologize to the rider if he could just his girlfriend. I hope he goes away for a looooong time. The rest of his life would be good.

Here is the latest update, the prosecutor didn't believe his changing story either.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2015/10/19/driver-in-viral-video-wreck-wreck-charged-with-assault/74240788/
Scroll down this page and click on Leave A Comment to read the incredulous postings by non-motorcyclists:
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2015/10/19/dps-investigating-motorcycle-wreck-caught-on-camera/74198878/

John
via iPhone 6k

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The motorcyclist is obviously transporting stolen magnets from Mexico... or there wouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure this one, while maybe not an open and shut case since the motorcyclist was performing an ileagal act, still pretty damning of the cager... Basically, if I run a stop sign at an empty intersection, can someone shoot at me? Nope.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... Basically, if I run a stop sign at an empty intersection, can someone shoot at me? Nope.
Don't count on that! I'm sure there's someone sitting at an intersection someplace just waiting for you, Joe! :eek:4:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
There was some comment on the local oldies station this afternoon. The DJ said the old guy had just left a methadone treatment center and was still flying. Haven't seen a confirmation on this.

Bike
07 ST1300
LoL Mellow.
I just had to go back and watch the vid again. The first time I watched it, I thought the passenger was a child because they were so small but watching it again, it takes him almost 3 minutes to go check on them!! Turns out to be his wife or girlfriend. Not sure which would be worse lol but my God, if my boyfriend/husband did that, boy would it hit the fan!!! He was more worried about his blankety- blank bike than he was her!!!! :mad1:
Thank you!
She was in major distress and even the camera guy just waltzed right past. Oh well maybe she is a second class citizen.

Top Bottom