tail/brake lights

how do you change the tail/brakelight bulbs on the st 1300 ? also when looking under the back seat on the left side I noticed a silver rod that's about six inches long and bent on both ends. does anyone know what this is for? thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
how do you change the tail/brakelight bulbs on the st 1300 ? also when looking under the back seat on the left side I noticed a silver rod that's about six inches long and bent on both ends. does anyone know what this is for? thanks
Rear indicator bulbs are accessed from under the rear pillion seat. They are down on each side - you will need a good flashlight and very small, strong hands. Bite your tongue while removing these lest you utter a blasphemous oath. Once you get any of these loose, I suggest you put a dab of silicone grease (not regular grease which attacks rubber) on the o-ring before you replace the lamp in its socket. This will make removing the lampholder that much easier next time. Turn each one counterclockwise maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I didn't know you could get at the tail/brake light bulbs any other way.
You can't, we are just answering the same question different ways.

Amber turn signal bulbs
Rear indicator bulbs are accessed from under the rear pillion seat. They are down on each side - you will need a good flashlight and very small, strong hands. Bite your tongue while removing these lest you utter a blasphemous oath.

Red marker light/brake light bulbs
Just as Andrew described go at the bulbs from underneath, much easier.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi all: I have a question about brake and headlight modulators.

Are they legal?

i have been told by a dealer that the brake light unit is OK - but that the headlight unit will have every police officer around stopping you for a chat - even though they are NOT illegal.

Another dealer told told me today flat-out that the headlight units are illegal.

Any thoughts or info?

BTW - I live in Ontario Canada but I suspect the laws are similar elsewhere.

Byron

STOC #

Are they legal?

i have been told by a dealer that the brake light unit is OK - but that the headlight unit will have every police officer around stopping you for a chat - even though they are NOT illegal.

Another dealer told told me today flat-out that the headlight units are illegal.

Any thoughts or info?

You're going to have to check with the authorities in Canada to determine if they are legal or not.

In the United States they are legal.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Take a look at the enclosed document. It should explain/show what you need.
View attachment Tail Light Removal.pdf

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #

Are they legal?

Any thoughts or info?

Here is a copy of the applicable Canadian vehicle regulations. See S7.9, and S7.9.4. (pages 41 - 42)

Here it is in part,

"Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment TSD No. 108, Revision 5R
S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system S7.9.4.1

A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or
the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:" (see document for the rest)

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Headlight modulators are legal in the US and Canada. You may get stopped but not likely I got stopped in NY state once by a beligerant state trooper I explaind that it was DOT legal in all 50 states and I had documentation to prove it I asked if he would like to see it he said he didn't care we talked back and forth a bit he insisted I wouold be stopped many times but did not issue a ticket and drove off I have not been stopped since.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Soontobeone:

Many thanks for the CMVSS108 clip (which as stated based upon the US FMVSS). That is very interesting. Do you happen to know if the Signal Dynamics unit is compliant?

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Hi Soontobeone:

Many thanks for the CMVSS108 clip (which as stated based upon the US FMVSS). That is very interesting. Do you happen to know if the Signal Dynamics unit is compliant?
I don't know. However, the Signal Dynamics website shows this (For the Plug & Play Headlight Module): Please Note:

1.) As per D.O.T. regulations, the Heads Up Alert feature DOES NOT work at night.
2.) The headlight module is designed for use on motorcycles with a 12 volt DC negative ground electrical system; and will not work on bikes with an AC electrical system.
3.) It can be used with any sealed beam or halogen headlight up to 130 watts for the low beam, and 130 watts for the high beam (260 watts total).
4.) Module is NOT compatible with HID or LED Lighting. If you have any questions regarding electrical system compatibility with your motorcycle, contact your motorcycle's manufacturer or authorized dealership.
5.) The Headlight Module has been designed to provide static free operation with your radio and intercom systems; however, some hard-wired systems will still produce unwanted static.
6.) The Plug & Play™ Headlight Module is legal to use on motorcycles in all 50 states, and Canada.
7.) Test function once installed with incandescent lighting or pull bike outdoors, flourescent and LED lighting will not activate module.

If you're not certain, you could email Signal Dynamics and inquire about the unit you're interested in.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
As a LEO and a motorcyclist I can say that I am not fond of the visual effect of headlight modulators. Having said that I do believe they make you more visible, and (just my opinion here) depending on the model of modulator, more annoying. The ones that make the greatest "pulse" or have the greatest light versus reduced light seem to be the most visible and annoying (to me).

If everyone is pulling over for you as you drive down the road approaching traffic I'd say you are being seen. I'd also say that your modulator is having too great an effect. I have seen this in my community. I pulled over too.
Opinions will vary and you need to do what makes you feel safe, without (again in my opinion) creating animosity with the other road users.:slv11:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
If everyone is pulling over for you as you drive down the road approaching traffic I'd say you are being seen. I'd also say that your modulator is having too great an effect. I have seen this in my community. I pulled over too.
I had a headlight modulator on my ST years ago and I had a Harley rider pull over then come up to me in South Dakota stating he thought I was a cop. Not good. I also had way to many people pull up to me and say there was something wrong with my headlight. I don't miss the modulator and love my HID headlights.

Top Bottom