ST1300 engine sounds like loud sewing machine

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I too like the sound of both the stock ST11 and ST13, although I'm a little partial to the ST11. My ST11 had Two Brothers slip-ons when I bought it. After a year of that noise, I couldn't stand it any longer and replaced them with a set of stock pipes. Now I can hear the motor... ;)

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The gear driven cam whine kind of grows on you. It's like air cooled Porsche engines, Ducati dry clutch rattle, and other iconic internal combustion sounds that I've come to savor.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The gear driven cam whine kind of grows on you. It's like air cooled Porsche engines, Ducati dry clutch rattle, and other iconic internal combustion sounds that I've come to savor.
Yes it grows on you but the 1300 has chain driven cams. The dual counterbalance shafts are gear driven.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Yes it grows on you but the 1300 has chain driven cams. The dual counterbalance shafts are gear driven.
Hmmmm. I'll get to see this for myself here soon as I'm going to do my first valve clearance check. So is the whine from the gear driven counterbalance shafts? I like to know what I'm lusting after

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #

My S.O. thinks the ST sound like her Kitchen-aid mixer. Now When I start the bike up I am reminded of chocolate-chip cookies.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
So is the whine from the gear driven counterbalance shafts? I like to know what I'm lusting after
If properly adjusted, the counterbalancers should be pretty quiet, and the noise they make when out is a bit different than the engine.

In the back of the service manual, there's a nice cutaway illustration of the engine that shows how all of the power travels. There are a bunch of gears that carry it, all spur (straight-cut) gears. Those are what make Mr. Jetson's noise.

Helical gears are quieter but have a characteristic of applying axial forces to the shafts they're on and complicates everything from the bearings to the casings, adding weight to handle it. Switch to spur gears and all of that goes away.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
Adding to an existing thread rather than starting a new one on the same theme......

I was sat at a crossroads in my car the other day waiting for the lights to change when I heard a Pan pulling up.
I had limited view of the other roads and at first thought I was hearing things as the Pan has a very distinctive whine (which I find pleasing) and maybe I was just reminiscing about my previous ride.
When the lights changed sure enough there was a 1300 about 5 cars back on an adjacent junction.
It made me appreciate the distinctive sound of the Pan as a lot of bikes (apart from the "Blab Blab Blab" of Harleys) all sound the same.
Not our dear old Pans.

Just saying ......

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I like the sound, the purring at times, the growling when on the throttle in higher rpms, and yes, even the "whine" if you want to call it that.
Reminds me of the private jets that fly over my back yard, coming and going from the small airport 6 miles from me.
I like all of the subdued ST sounds... there's already too much noise in my life.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I too like the stock sound , or the lack of it. Makes a enough noise at stand still on idle.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I love the ST mechanical noises. Tells me everything is fine.
Our ST1100 has more road noise since I installed a taller windscreen. It varies with old tires/new tires and road surface.
Can't hear either bike at highway speeds.

Bike
ST1300
Grrrowwll Grrrowwll !!
I wonder what it would sound like being ridden like that (before you get pulled over for being a "Bad Ass Biker "obviously).

If Tony the Tiger rode a motorbike it would be a Pan sans Mufflers......

Tony Pan.jpg

Top Bottom