ST vs RT on BMW forum

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Based on today's currency exchange rates, the US dollar cost is closer to $700.00 for the MCCruise.http://www.mccruise.com/products/13
I hadn't check lately. When I bought two of mine, they were around $550 - which was a no brainer considering they come with everything including tie wraps, excellent instructions, and excellent support! I was fortunate (for me) to buy my third one 'used' from a friend who wrecked his ST1100. The interesting thing about the MCCruise is it is the last one you will have to buy if you don't mine deinstalling - the throttle pull is adjustable by programming. ;-)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The ST1300 was at the top of my wish list if I ever bought a bike. My younger brother had a 2005 ST1300, and after a test ride, was hooked. I got my own 2005 ST1300 with 0.9 miles on the clock at a very discounted price in August 2006. Heli risers (original) was my first farkle -- after the dealer-installed Quartet Harness/12V outlet -- and McCruise was next. Heated grips would have been nice on very few rides, so I don't regret not having them.

I have ridden most of the "competition" and they do not tempt me away. At 78,000+ miles, valves are still in spec. I am constantly amazing other traffic on how slow I can go without dabbing while waiting for the light to turn green.

A 70mph lowside while braking over an unexpected rumblestrip resulted in minimal damage: right side engine guard cover and rear brake pedal, plus the side stand that got bent from shearing off a 4+-inch pine tree. Started up and rode another 170 miles home.

This was my first bike bought at age 66 and will probably be my only bike. I cannot imagine a better one.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Because of this thread and the RT review, we went and test drove a couple used RT's today. I have always lusted after the BMW, always just out of financial reach. We rode a 2011 and a demo 2014, wife came along so had to keep the wrist under control. 2011 had 7k miles, very good fit for my vertically challenged stature. Loved the handling and the cruise control. Shift indicator was more distracting than helpful, never had one on any previous bike. Transmission seemed loud compared to my ST. Boxer twin had a lot more vibration than I thought it would, smoothed out at cruising speed. OK, so the 2011 is a nice bike, not enough benefit for me to swap. Dealer then wheeled out the liquid cooled 2014 and let us take it for a spin. Smoother than the 2011 and a lot more electronics, GPS, Electronic suspension, etc... Very nice bike, completely redesigned engine, trans, and suspension according to salesman. Could not get past the $20k + price tag. Think I will just add some kind of cruise control to my ST and I can live with the weight/height for a few more years.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Hot seat on hot days on a ST1100? That's rather curious as I have experienced that on ST1300s (13,000+ miles on rentals) but not on ST1100s - unless you are talking in the 90Fs + then anything is hot. ;-) It is a shame that Honda didn't include those accessories on the ST1300 (but IIRC back when the ST1100 came out I don't think anybody had them). Heated grips are about $50 and a couple of hours, cruise control (if you go with the MCCruise - the Rostra or Audiovox is much less) is pretty expensive ($1,500+) and some time, Russell Daylong about $500 for just the rider, and suspension mods - as much as you want to spend (Works Pro Racer rear shock, Works Progressive springs in the front). You do it yourself or the manufacturer/dealer does it - but you still pay for it one way or the other. BTDT and I am perfectly happy with my ST1100s. I do love the adjustable windshield and have been playing around with the idea for one for the ST1100 (got a working manual adjustable in my garage now). The lighter weight is nice but I'm a big guy with long legs so that doesn't bother me at all. At the end of the day, there are very few 'pilots' that ever get close to the edge of the performance capabilities of the ST1100, ST1300 or the RTs so it really boils down to comfort. You have to decide what pushes your buttons. On my 2002 ST1100, the valves were still in spec at 100,000 miles - maintenance has been minimal on all three of my ST1100s. After riding the old Brit bikes for many years (BSA and Triumph), I rather like 'boring'. I have no desire to own a ST1300 or a RT (money is not the issue) at this point as my ST1100s do all that I want them to do and I have them outfitted to suit me. It becomes a point as you where you want to spend your money. Not having what you want is not worth much regardless of what you spend. It's sort of like the old Concours - it was without a doubt the best value in sport touring for a long time but it had it's 'issues'. One of two things will happen with Honda in this market segment - they either will abandon it or they must come out with a 'category killer' bike. Time will tell for sure and until they do, I'll be very happy on my ST1100s with heated grips, electronic cruise control, comfortable seat, highway wings, lovely stereo jukebox and great wind protection. :D
Amen Phil! :bow1:
+100
I love my ST1100 (even it's leaking coolant right at this moment at my garage). :)

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I was looking for some data about STs and found this:
I know we already had similar threads where the members were talking about switching (or already did it) from ST to FJRs, Concourses, BMWs due to lack of the improvement of technology on newer STs. And I understand them. Now, I wonder more what's keeping the rest of going to the "dark side" (in this case I don't think on car tires :) )...
Well, I suspect that the thing that keeps most folks here from "going to the dark side" is simply that the ST1300 we have is paid for, whereas a new bike with more tech (some of it useful, much not) isn't. If somebody gave me $25k and said "go forth and buy yourself a new bike", I wouldn't get an ST1300. Not because there's anything wrong with an ST1300, but because I already have one! :D I would get a fully decked out Triumph Tiger 800 XRX. and a PCX 150 or something similar. If it was a case of "replacement of ST with a new sport-touring bike", then it would be a tougher question, but a new ST1300 would still be in the running.

Simply put, the newer technology on the next generation STXX00 might tempt me to replace my ST1300, but it's only a little more likely than new tech on the competitors. Now, if I had a 5 figure a month income, the calculus might change.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
... If somebody gave me $25k and said "go forth and buy yourself a new bike", I wouldn't get an ST1300. Not because there's anything wrong with an ST1300, but because I already have one! :D
Same here. I would even buy a Harley! As a 4th or 5th bike though, but it would be in my "stable" :D

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
The ST far out performs anything in performance, reliability and maintenance costs.
Got any facts to back that statement up? I owned an ST1300 for several years and now have a Connie. I loved my ST, but I wouldn't say it out performs or is any more or less reliable than the Connie. Maintenance cost are about the same for both.

I've never been much of a BMW guy, same can be said about Ducati. When I decided to come back to a sport touring bike I went with the Connie mainly because I had already had an ST1300 and wanted to ride something else. Plus I was to buy a used 2012 C14 for the same money it would take to buy a used 08 or 09 ST1300.

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
My experience with the ST is my basis for the statement. Connie has struggled in sales over the years despite the lowest price in this category. However, if you like it that is the most important thing.

Top Bottom