Motorcycle pick up loader

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
http://mountainmaster.net/motorcycleloadingsystem.html

well the Mrs. Can't take more than overnight er and falls asleep waking up wretching and wiggling in the turns, so I was thinking a trailer. Then saw this loader and like the idea, as it is less wheels and better security. Pricey, but I do miss her on the trips. So anyone have thoughts or issues with pickup loaders?
:shrug2::chat1::bk13:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
That site has a Malware payload according to my antivirus software
Huh. Mine (Norton 360) didn't detect it.

As for the product itself it looks pretty versatile. Not that I need to but I wonder whether I could cram my ST into my Tacoma... could be handy when taking it for service.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I like the idea but not the price ..Harbor freight has a 3500 lb remote control winch for $140..
It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make a sled using a wheel chock , plywood or diamond plate and some 4x4's as supports and guides , or box steel tubing .

Pulling it up would be easy , but a bit of ingenuity would be needed to back it off, but very do-able..

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I like the idea but not the price ..Harbor freight has a 3500 lb remote control winch for $140..
It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make a sled using a wheel chock , plywood or diamond plate and some 4x4's as supports and guides , or box steel tubing .

Pulling it up would be easy , but a bit of ingenuity would be needed to back it off, but very do-able..
I like the way you think - saw a couple utube views with that same thing in mind searching for these, used a wheel chock dolly set up with 4 rollers that went up a track ramp that got up and over the back of the bed, this one the ramp was set up to keep the rear tire high enough to avoid damage to the mid belly. That set up had a lot of working parts. If i had the resources and time I might just try and build one. Backing down appeared ok - i have a short bed GMC so I would have a rail or something to extend the base out - i hope to see a couple before i bite on something....it's a meet in the middle with them mrs right now - so it's going to be something even a trailer if need be

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

lti_57

Above the center of the Earth
Bike
95 ST 1100
To me that's a butt load of money
seems better to get a trailer that you can haul 2 -3 bikes on. Here in the north west I paid 800 for a nice 4x 8 trailer
not the home depot crap but nice drop tail gate wood inserts 2000lb capacity

Bike
2010 ST1300
I saw the Mountain Master lift (I think) at a Guzzi Rally. A dealer had used his pickup as well as a trailer to bring several demo bikes. The lift is impressive to watch. The Rampage lift looks a bit fussy with all those pins you have to remove and install at various stages of the lifting process. And their warning about getting just the right tension on the tie downs sounded iffy. The Mountain Master did not mention any alternatives to tie downs attached to the handlebars - a no no for our ST's. I assume one could do the same fork tie down as the Rampage but I wonder about stability. Seeing a Goldwing go up the Rampage with very little instability (ignoring the guy holding the handlebar as the GW ascended - I think this was more to help HIM stay upright) was good.

Were I seriously interested, I would still go with a trailer - its way more useful despite the weight difference. And a whole lot cheaper. For the cost of this lift, you can probably get a totally enclosed trailer.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
To me that's a butt load of money
seems better to get a trailer that you can haul 2 -3 bikes on. Here in the north west I paid 800 for a nice 4x 8 trailer
not the home depot crap but nice drop tail gate wood inserts 2000lb capacity
Sure, but once you get a trailer, you have to have somewhere to keep the trailer. And, depending on where you live, you'll be paying registration and insurance on the trailer as long as you have it. Mind you, I agree with you that a trailer is a more flexible solution, but sometimes, circumstances just say "nope, no trailer bub."

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sure, but once you get a trailer, you have to have somewhere to keep the trailer. And, depending on where you live, you'll be paying registration and insurance on the trailer as long as you have it. Mind you, I agree with you that a trailer is a more flexible solution, but sometimes, circumstances just say "nope, no trailer bub."
As I said above, I'm in favor of a trailer. One thing to consider with this loader, you probably will not want it in the bed of your pickup all the time. And even the aluminum one is bound to be a heavy one man load, and is probably bolted down.....

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Trailer it is going to be - seems the Mrs agrees with that and she said you can share it with your friends in need. Cause I am that way - what does that mean???....anyway the trailer is more flexible in that i dont have to tie up the truck to single use - and for the money haul more than one when needed. the hunt is on

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I just picked up a 2008 Kendon dual standup trailer in good condition for a $1000. Typically in my region the go for about $2000 used and the typically sell very quickly. I had to drive a few miles to get it but it was worth the effort. I too have limited space outside and the standup is perfect for us. I will hold two full dress HD's and we can pull it with my wife's Mazda CX5. I would not consider this a ride on trailer. I have loaded the bikes walking them on at an idle.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301772711907?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

have a look at this simple device - I might even get one, strapping the handlebars is a problem, you can use the forks instead. Legal here , apparently.
I saw two versions of this - it looks convienant for a short tow, but in both owners statements they worry about cornering and the bike laying over sideways. We tried the sport bike and it followed nicely, and yes the tie downs on the handle bars is a no no. but I passed trying with the ST. I do appreciate your input and thoughts on this.

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
We used a 16' cargo trailer for years, when we got to our destination we camped in it. I bought a collapsible chock that folded flat when not hauling and a self inflating/deflating queen sized bed that fit perfectly. I'll attempt to post a couple of pics.

image.jpg

Bummer, it doesn't seem to want to upload the other.

But it seems a Secreary Bird did get included

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 1994
I saw two versions of this - it looks convienant for a short tow, but in both owners statements they worry about cornering and the bike laying over sideways. We tried the sport bike and it followed nicely, and yes the tie downs on the handle bars is a no no. but I passed trying with the ST. I do appreciate your input and thoughts on this.
It is no good for my Piaggio 3 wheeler either, but I think for lighter bikes and back wheel "ordinary" trikes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom