Major electrical failure, bike dies whilst riding, completely !

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have had two failures over the years similar. One was the green ground wire in the 24 pin on the left side a few years ago. Just this year it happened and it was the 14 wire ground behind the headlight. Cut off the connector and spliced all of the wires together and directly to ground. Fixed.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I had a similar intermittent fault with my 1100 many years back.

It turned out to be bad wiring around the main starter relay. Not the relay itself, but the wiring at the back of the plug-in relay holder had become corroded and the corrosion had crept up the copper inside the cable in the harness.

Another place to look on the St1300 I discovered when perusing the wiring diagram for something else - that Bank angle sensor provides a signal for the bank angle relay. Any fault in that little circuit and according to the circuit diagram, and most of the system goes dead. Don't ask me where they are on the bike. I'd need to study the fiches.
Hi there guys: I have a problem involving a "Short" to Positive on some lines...(Maybe the alternator?) so I stripped the tupperware off and inadvertently had the nose cone hanging upside down off the front end and there was no spark...everything else worked fine...(except there's no charging and the "short"..) So then I found the bank angle sensor was in the nose cone. A unit about the side of a 20's pack of cigarettes (Maybe smaller with Red, Green and Black wires?)... The relay is with all the other relays in the LHS of the bike... Now to figure out my problem....

Top Bottom