Pensylvania and West Virginia end middle of march and ridding to Louisiana???

Bike
2k9 ST1300
Hi all

Planning a trip to Louisiane. Leaving Canada (Qu?bec) by truck in the middle of march (armour the 20th) to or near Front Royal. Than ride back and forth to Louisiana.

In Virginia, is it safe to ride one the mountain and back road?

What is the weather like in temperature range?

These would be some of the route in mind. In red, if I leave closer from home in Pensylvania.
Route 75s to Fort Loudon
Route 30w to Everett
Route 26s to 68w
Autoroute 68 w
Route 219s to McHenry.

If I leave from or near from Virginia
Route 219
Route 150
Route 39 to Summersville
Route 19 to Hico
Route 60 to chimney "Myst?re Hole".
Route 16 to Fayetteville

Thanks for suggestion

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
In Virginia, is it safe to ride one the mountain and back road?
I hear the bears and mountain lions have a taste for Qu?becois bikers, so be careful of that. :D (Kidding)

What is the weather like in temperature range?
Some years the mid-Atlantic warms up early, others it doesn't. Garrett County, Maryland, which is an area you'll pass through on Interstate 68 and US 219, tends toward being cold and wet that time of year (see the averages chart). Unlike further north where it gets cold and stays cold, this part of the country straddles the rain/snow line. What falls leaves a layer of liquid during the day that freezes up overnight, leaving you with ice to contend with, some of it invisible. Because salt washes away easily, some states tend to put sand and cinders on the roads (it stays put), and that stuff will stick around until the spring rains get rid of it. A lot of the route you list will be through West Virginia (which is a different state than Virginia), and I can't speak for what their highway department uses.

You'd probably end up with better weather by delaying your trip (April's a safer bet) or shifting your route east of the Appalachian mountains, but it would add some time to the trip and the roads aren't nearly as interesting.

Nothing south of Virginia's southern border should give you trouble that late in March.

--Mark

The mountains of western VA and the state of West Virginia are great riding and you've listed some fun roads. I've been riding that area for 20 years and have always met interesting and nice people. It's coal mining and logging country so you will encounter large trucks. They do tend to drag the gravel off the shoulder and in to the curves. Ride with some caution and you'll have a good ride.

Len

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Weather in that part of the country, that time of year can be most anything, as seasons are in transition. It can be mild on Tuesday, cold and rainy on Friday. Can be icy,especially in the hills where many roads don't see sunlight all day.

Do you have other options for departure dates? I'm not saying the weather is going to be bad, I'm just saying its a roll of the dice.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The Virginia mountains can be downright treacherous at that time of year. Even on pleasant days in the valleys, the hills and ridges can be anything from unpleasant to life-threateningly dangerous due to road conditions and weather. And, like mountains nearly everywhere, the conditions can change (deteriorate) rapidly and with little advance warning.

That's all the bad news. The good news is that the little country back roads in the valleys are some of the nicest and most pleasant I know. As others before have said, the weather can still be "iffy" and you want to watch for slick "glare" ice in the shadows and after dusk.

OP
OP
Bike
2k9 ST1300
Thank for the input all of you guys. As winter passes il be able ti make take better decision. Over all it is about the same thing as some area in early spring in Qu?bec.

As for the bears and mountain lion, I'm to skinny for them to enjoy:)

Thanks again

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
I frequently travelled the very areas of WV you mention for 15 years and I would not even think about riding a motorcycle in them during March. They are very nice roads for bikes but the weather is usually pretty bad in March, if not snow then very cold. Ice on roads, in curves and shaded areas not hit by the sun, is very probable. The biggest snow I saw was the last day of March 1975 when it snowed 18" of new snow with about 8" already on the ground. As others indicated, if you can delay your trip a little while, you will really enjoy the areas you mention. Good luck.

Top Bottom